RSV

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
cindyh27

Re : RSV

Postby cindyh27 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 04:16 am

Glad to hear Anna is doing better :)

jamie w

Postby jamie w » Sat Apr 05, 2008 09:56 pm

She is doing much better. She still coughs a lot in the morning after waking up but then she seems fine. Thanks for checking up on us. How's your Anna? How much is she weighing these days? She is sooo cute!!

amanda
Forum Moderator

Postby amanda » Sat Apr 05, 2008 07:39 pm

Lee -
Just checking on your Anna?

preemomof2

Postby preemomof2 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 06:21 pm

My son was 1 month early...and when he was 1 month old he got RSV, he was given ceron for congestion, saline drops in nose and constant sucking for weeks, he never got a bad cough but did have wheezing so he was given a nebulizer with pulmicort and albuterol. He was on the nebulizer for months and months and anytime he sounds coughy or wheezy we have to give him the breathing treatments in hopes he will not develope asthma in the future. He is now 21 months and still occasionally on the nebulizer. good luck

amanda
Forum Moderator

Postby amanda » Tue Apr 01, 2008 04:26 pm

Hopefully the saline in the nebulizer will do the trick! :)

jamie w

Postby jamie w » Tue Apr 01, 2008 04:10 pm

She is still coughing and choking and stuffy. We do have her sleeping with her head elevated- sometimes in her boouncy seat and sometimes on a wedge we had previously used for her reflux prior to starting her on meds. I have a nebulizer that we use with my other DD so I will give the saline a try. I had already decided to call and ask the Dr about breathing treatments to see if they will help. Hopefully I'll get the ok. With my older daughter I would just give them without calling but since Anna is still so small I am afraid to do anything without asking first. Thanks for checking up on us.

amanda
Forum Moderator

Postby amanda » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:40 am

Lee, how is Anna today?
One other thing I thought of is to ask how she is laying down - is it actually laying or do you have her propped up? With mine, I always had them sleep in their bouncy in a more upright position which seemed to help some.

Christina is right, do you have a nebulizer? If so, just saline in it works great. Is Anna on breathing treatments?

-Amanda

alaskamommy

Postby alaskamommy » Mon Mar 31, 2008 01:30 pm

Lee, I'm so sorry! RSV is so awful. Niko had it forever, it seemed. One thing that seemed to help was the hypertonic saline solution in the nebulizer several times a day. I think it just loosened and thinned out the mucus.

I hope your little Anna gets better very soon!

jamie w

Postby jamie w » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:07 pm

I've tried the saline drops & suctioning along with the prednisone and none of it seems to be helping. I will just continue to keep a close eye on her through the night and call the Dr. tomorrow. I can handle the snot and coughing, it is the choking that worries me so bad. I'm sure as with most things time will be the cure.

aundapenner

Postby aundapenner » Sun Mar 30, 2008 02:28 pm

Oh, let me think. It was a year ago that Henry had these problems. But I don't think he was really phlegmy ... We did use the saline drops (which he HATED but really did help) and lots of fluids. Other than that, there's also a back clapping thing you can do on either side of the spinal cord (but NOT on the cord itself) that's used in kids with CF. I still do that sometimes to help "loosen" things up.

HTH.

Hang in there. It does get better. And if you're the slightest concerned, call your ped.

Return to “After your baby is born .....”