Question about baby food

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
kelly w

Re : Question about baby food

Postby kelly w » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:48 am

Heather, no kidding! We have 5 kids - same gene pool, all breastfed, more or less raised the same way - and they are SO different! We have one we used to jokingly call "the air fern" because she ate NOTHING. Ever. We have another one that snatched any food that came near her as a baby and eats TONS of food [she was/is our tiniest one too - she's 4% on the chart and eats like an *elephant*! It is truly funny to behold!].

I guess they know what they need!

Kelly

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Mon Mar 31, 2008 09:42 pm

Sheesh, it's a roll of the dice with these eaters and non-eaters (a term we use around here [;)]). Nicolas would *never* eat if we let him get away with it, and only eats a morsel here and there with MUCH prodding. Ella, on the other hand, would eat our table if she could get around her seat. Different as night and day and share the same gene pool. Crazy.

summerw77

Postby summerw77 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 07:30 pm

Do you want to laugh? He has only not finished TWO bottles since he was born, I think that's how he went from bottom of the charts to 95% in just FOUR MONTHS lol. AHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAA. Sorry you have a poor eater!

emersons mom

Postby emersons mom » Mon Mar 31, 2008 06:59 pm

wow congrats on having a good eater, my almost 2 year old still eats very little, and if he ever ate a whole jar, i think i would faint!

summerw77

Postby summerw77 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 02:07 pm

Christina--I can't wait LOL. His pediatrician said it is time for him because he is overeating his formula.......he "should" be eating 32 oz a day, but is eating more like 50 oz/day and so she really wants him on foods. And since we started foods he's eating WAY less formula!!!! He's had cereal in his bottle since 8 weeks. His ped says that they say 6 months for breastfed babies and between 4 to 6 months for formula babies. He did get a whole jar down yesterday though!!!!!!!!

alaskamommy

Postby alaskamommy » Mon Mar 31, 2008 01:34 pm

My mom keeps asking when we're going to start Niko on food. He turned 6 months on March 17. All I ever hear is "I started you on cereal at 6 months," then it became 5 months and now it's 4 months, LOL. Pretty soon I will have come out of the womb eating cereal!

But OK, food means messes. Messes are not fun. Yes, formula is crazy expensive, but again I go back to the mess thing. SHE's not the one who is going to have to wipe cereal off the floor and dried mashed peas out of all the nooks and crannies of the high chair cover. Blech!

And then there's the whole lovely smell of their diapers when they start eating. I'm so not going there, LOL.

I'd say wait, wait, wait, LOL - =D

kelly w

Postby kelly w » Mon Mar 31, 2008 09:30 am

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends starting solids around 6 months, one of the reasons is that many babies still have the "tongue thrust reflex" before that age, which is what is sounds like your little man is doing. It usually disappears around 6 months.

I wouldn't worry about it. They don't nutritionally need solids at that age, so it isn't going to really matter how much he keeps down or not.

Kelly

mnmom
Forum Moderator

Postby mnmom » Mon Mar 31, 2008 07:21 am

Summer-
What a fun age he is at! As far as the feeding goes, he probably just hasn't mastered the tongue movements needed to swallow. I totally wouldn't worry about it. He should be getting most/all of his nutritional needs met with his formula. Another month or two, I am sure he will be eating jars full!

As far as the rolling over, that too varies. Way back in the day of tummy sleeping, Jess rolled from front to back within weeks. My boys were much later. Sounds like he is pushing his head and shoulders off of the floor, at that seems right on target. And, even though he wasn't a micro preemie, that month makes a big difference yet at this age. Bring it up at your next appointment, but I would guess he will be rolling all over before you know it.

By the way, I love that little bird face they make. I know exactly what you mean!

summerw77

Question about baby food

Postby summerw77 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:51 pm

So we started sweet potatos this week.........and oatmeal cereal with bananas, and the only problem is I have to wipe it off his face and scoop it back into his mouth like 3 times before he swallows it, he makes this CUTE little bird face (I have to get a pic of that for you guys OMG It's SO CUTE!!!!) and then opens when I touch the spoon to his mouth, so my question is when does the suck reflex go away and the swallowing one come? He is so precious trying to eat! Also, what age do they normally roll over? He's 4.5 months and trying but only done it once. What's normal age for that? He is getting to his side..... I am so enjoying him! He is so amazing!

Return to “After your baby is born .....”