Pumping and milk supply

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

Re : Pumping and milk supply

Postby sandy » Mon Apr 12, 2004 07:56 pm

Hi Sherry,
Hang in there! I don't know how you're doing this with other little ones to "mommy"! You're doing great!!

I found that putting some Lansinoh on the wide part of the pump before putting it on to pump helped soothe my sore and cracked breasts. And then put a little more on after pumping had finished, and let them air dry. That really helped; that Lansinoh in the purple tube.

Yes, it was a crazy cycle: pump, clean, write down time and date on label, stick it on the bottle, fridge or freeze it, feed the baby the bottle...and then start it all over again, every 3 hours (I did it around the clock...had no other babies to care for!).

I attempting b'feeding for maybe 2 1/2 months and finally gave up because of multiple challenges. I sooo want to b'feed my next. Then I continued to pump (also w/a Medela "Pump In Style") and DD was getting breastmilk exclusively for 4 1/2 months. Then we brought in the formula as I could not take it anymore; I was producing so very little milk and I even got my period while still (barely) lactating! I took that as "the" "sign" and stopped. The we started on Nutramigen. So expensive, but it has really helped DD eat and gain weight.

Enough about me. Hang in there!!!

~Sandy/DD born via emergency C at 35 wks/1 day June '03 due to Severe PE/class III HELLP/chronic HBP/asthma
sandy

Postby tahoe4 » Tue Apr 13, 2004 07:49 am

Sherry - I know what you mean about pumping along with having other children. I have a 15 month old now and I'm due in less than 2 months. With all of the trouble it was to pump with the first tone, we have decided that it's in the best interest of our family that the new baby either breastfeeds or formula feeds, but no pumping. It was so much work and I can't imagine having the energy to pump along with caring for my other daughter.
tahoe4

Postby paljane8 » Sun Apr 18, 2004 08:38 pm

Oh, Sherry, the exhaustion that comes with pumping round the clock. I swear it was worse exhaustion than nursing the others! I am sorry. Hang in there. She is such a beauty!

Nancy Eastwood
Moderator/WA State Co-Coordinator

Calvin-8yrs
Saren-7yrs
Scott-4yrs (PE)
Janie-5/03 (PIH, oligo and low blood flow)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/4/4lbs/
paljane8

Postby lauras » Mon Apr 19, 2004 05:11 am

Wow! That's great that you can manage what you're doing with the other little ones to take care of! I wasn't producing enough with Isabella at first and had to give in and pump once a night for a few nights in a row to kind of build things up. I can't remember how early you little one was but Isabella started nursing right around her due date. Then I was really glad I stuck with it. I never had to sterilize another bottle or buy formula.

Hang in there! I'm sure you'll find out what works for you and your family.

Laura 32
DH 32
Isabella 11/25/01 - 30 wks -severe pe
Another girl! 8/24/04
lauras

Postby sherry fisher » Tue Apr 20, 2004 01:06 pm

Well....we stuck it out as long as possible! Anna is now on formula and I am so sore! She is still on a funny eating schedule. Every 3 hours round the clock. Sometimes we manage a 3 hr interval. I was not keeping up with her. Plus, the pumping was exhausting....especially when DH went back to work last week! We tried unsuccesfully 3-4 times a day for her to latch on. She is still keeping her tounge in the roof of her mouth. Its even hard to get her to 'latch' on right with a bottle. She makes some weird sound and formula squirts out of her mouth like a fountain, even with the bottle in her mouth. So, we usually have to try and try again just with a bottle. Did anyone have this problem???? The Ped says she was a 36 weeker. Her jaundice is gone....thank goodness! That seemed like an endless battle for awhile. Now she has a clogged tear duct. One eye is really bad the other is not so bad. All in all Anna is the best baby! She is so content and laid back! We are truely blessed!

Sherry Fisher (28)
DH: Bill (35)
Proud Mama to:
#1) Alex 1/1/94-PE
#2) Abbie 12/17/97-PIH
#3 Will 08/03/02-PP PE
#4) Anna 04/06/04 - PE
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/b/babyfish3/
Baby Annna;
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/b/babyfish4/
sherry fisher

Previous