Post Reply FAQ Members Login

I'm having the baby garage sale *sniff*

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

I'm having the baby garage sale *sniff*

Postby momathelete » Sun Apr 11, 2004 07:14 pm

by momathelete (227 Posts), Sun Apr 11, 2004 07:14 pm

I am getting all of my stuff ready for a big garage sale this Friday and I am having an emotional time with it. I guess it is normal, but it doesn't make it easier. DH and I always planned on 4 but after 3 pre-E babies we tied the ole tubes. I thought I was ok with it, but.... oy, it is hard. I have an icky feeling in my stomach when I think of it. DH said that we will buy all new if we decide to adopt, that it will be our special baby with everything shiny, but it does feel like our fourth is becoming just a dream. Ella is just so awesome right now too. She is 9.5 months, such a great stage. she is giggly, chubby, always grabbing her feet like a ball of love. I just can't get enough of her. Dh and I are always keeping her up later than we ever kept the other ones up so we can enjoy her every second. I guess we are savoring her every moment we can. It goes by way too fast.......

sniff*sniff*boo*hoo

Michelle
Moderator -On Bedrest
Interim Local Coordinator -Illinois

mom to Cole (HELP pregnancy, 28 wkr) 5 yrs old
Lainey (preE pregnancy, 29 wkr) 2 yrs old
Ella (PIH, 37 wkr) 8 mns
momathelete

Re : I'm having the baby garage sale *sniff*

Postby catherine » Sun Apr 11, 2004 08:49 pm

by catherine (2832 Posts), Sun Apr 11, 2004 08:49 pm

Oh Michelle, I'm right there with you. Chloe is growing so fast and this weekend I washed a mountain of her stuff to put away, ultimately to give away. I swear that Dave and I have to work to encourage her to progress, we'd be happy if she stayed a baby forever LOL! I don't really understand why I feel this way, maybe it's the "tubal remorse". I didn't feel like this after Lucy and I had no difficulty deciding no more kids after she was born. I do remember thinking about a week or so before her arrival when I felt tired and swollen (and perhaps in retrospect beginning to get sick), "gosh, I don't think that I could ever do this again, it's too hard and I'm too old". I suspect that maybe it's because we had pregnancies that went better than we expected... it leaves a little room for the "I could have done this again" thought, as opposed to the "take the baby and run" feeling that I had before.

Anyway, just so as you know, you're not the only one, big huge hugs and I hope that you make a fortune..... spend it on manicures and margueritas... and tipping that darling "cabana boy" husband of yours. "Buy all new", what a sweet man!

Catherine
Mom to Finn, Lucy (preeclampsia and HELLP) and Chloe.
Moderator HELLP Syndrome Survivors
catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby steg » Sun Apr 11, 2004 09:00 pm

by steg (15 Posts), Sun Apr 11, 2004 09:00 pm

I too always wanted at least four, and just had my third. My first was 33weeks PE, and my second 36weeks I had preterm labor and PIH=bedrest for 4 months, and third was born at 36 weeks preterm labor and PE=bedrest for 5 months. So my hubby and family says they will be standing in line to kick my butt if I get pregnant again, and I verbally agree with them, but deep inside I still long for at least one more! I didn't get my tube(I only have one left) tied when I had my c section because I've had two tubal preg. so I'm at high risk for them, and even with tied tubes, you can still have a tubal preg., so I told my hubby he would have to get fixed, and he agreed to it. But I might just go on the pill a while to put it off, I keep thinking maybe if I wait five years the others will all be in school all day, and bedrest wouldn't be so bad, and maybe by then more research will be done preventing preterm labor and PE. Probably wishful thinking, but a girl can dream can't she. It does feel horrible when we feel we are making a decision because we are forced to and not because we want to! I definitely relate with your feelings, and I am torn about giving away my girl clothes(I just had a boy). I think I will save some of my favorites and give majority away(styles will change in five years anyway, right?) Well, good luck with all!

Stacy
steg

Postby catherine » Sun Apr 11, 2004 09:41 pm

by catherine (2832 Posts), Sun Apr 11, 2004 09:41 pm

Michelle, just wanted to let you know.. DH walked by as I was surveying the board and wanted to know who was selling their baby in a garage sale[:p]!

Yes, I kicked him for you.

Catherine
Mom to Finn, Lucy (preeclampsia and HELLP) and Chloe.
Moderator HELLP Syndrome Survivors
catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby 5thtymachrm » Mon Apr 12, 2004 08:14 am

by 5thtymachrm (909 Posts), Mon Apr 12, 2004 08:14 am

Michelle...***hugs*** I can not even mention getting pg to anyone in my family again, they'll all have coronaries. I want 3 also, but maybe I can just squeeze in a #2[:D].

We all must be crazy to put ourselves through the rough pg's and all, but the cute lil bundles are just so worth it that we just don't care. Now that I am a Mommy I totally understand the phrase "I really don't worry about myself" all my thoughts are for my sweet little Indigo.

I'm sending you great garage sale vibes[:D] wish I lived closer to come check it all out[:D] I agree on spending the money on lots of fun things![:D]

Elizabeth
11/20/03 Indigo E. (born with no PE @ 37 weeks, 5lbs 13oz) (Pg Issues:33 weeks of bedrest!, PIH(atenolol),hyperemesis, hypothyroidism, cancer remission, asthma, 8cm blood clot @3wks)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/i/indigopage/
11/17/95 m/c @14wks
1/97 m/c @3wks
2/98 m/c @5wks
8/02 m/c @3wks
5thtymachrm

Postby maddiekinsmom » Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:45 am

by maddiekinsmom (49 Posts), Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:45 am

Michelle- So glad to see I'm not the only one dreading the garage-sale prospect. You're much braver than I - you're actually having one! I can't even get past the "thinking about it phase" and my only is 3 years old!!! Yikes!

Hope it went well and that the actual event wasn't *too* painful[:)]!

Rachel
Madeleine 4/8/01 (29 weeker: 1 lb,14oz; severe PE, IUGR)
maddiekinsmom

Postby laura » Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:01 am

by laura (5139 Posts), Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:01 am

Michelle- I feel your pain! Last week, I had to do a spring cleaning and I cried all afternoon! I'm not brave enough to garage sale it- I totally wouldn't be able to handle watching people paw through it and try to get it cheaper when don't they know it's priceless?[:p] I just throw it all in garbage bags and donate. If I do it really quickly, I hardly notice...

Laura
Moderator/AK Coordinator

Mom to Alicia (severe PE) 5/98 and Camille (htn, oligo) 4/03
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby momathelete » Sun Apr 18, 2004 06:15 pm

by momathelete (227 Posts), Sun Apr 18, 2004 06:15 pm

Well, the garage sale went well. It was at my friend's house as I took her kids for the day. The first day I made $129! That included dh's speakers from high school (in the 80's!!), a beat up weber grill (dh got a fancy stainless one last week) and a bunch of JUNK!! I went over there on the second day and took some clothes back that I could not part with. I had priced them at $15 a piece -obviously I didn't want to sell them. I figured that I should keep some really cute ones that the kids wore. Whatever does not sell, I am taking back and we are going to have another sale in the fall at my house while my friend takes the kids. I only got through clothes up to 12 months (Ella is in 12-18 month clothes and she is 9 months!). I hope to get to all of the bins so I can just get rid of it all.

As for my sadness, it has lessened a bit. I am starting to see a light as we progress to new stages. Maybe 3 will be ok for me. Maybe I am just trying to talk myself into it. So hard. At least I am not alone in my feelings, thanks ladies. It is harder knowing that my pregnancies have gotten better, so maybe I would have made it to 40 weeks with the next one. Although I am STILL on bp meds -something that I never had to do before and I hate that! With that record, I would have been on bedrest before 10 weeks, I bet! So, we will discuss adoption for the future, I think. Ok, I am rambling...thanks for listening!!

Michelle
Moderator -On Bedrest
Interim Local Coordinator -Illinois

mom to Cole (HELP pregnancy, 28 wkr) 5 yrs old
Lainey (preE pregnancy, 29 wkr) 2 yrs old
Ella (PIH, 37 wkr) 8 mns
momathelete

Postby paljane8 » Sun Apr 18, 2004 08:26 pm

by paljane8 (1416 Posts), Sun Apr 18, 2004 08:26 pm

Sigh.....they grow too fast (well some of them [:p])!!!!!

Nancy Eastwood
Moderator/WA State Co-Coordinator

Calvin-8yrs
Saren-7yrs
Scott-4yrs (PE)
Janie-5/03 (PIH, oligo and low blood flow)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/4/4lbs/
paljane8

Return to After your baby is born .....