Post Reply FAQ Members Login

How to get copies of your records?

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

How to get copies of your records?

Postby anneduffy » Tue Apr 13, 2004 09:02 pm

by anneduffy (23 Posts), Tue Apr 13, 2004 09:02 pm

I have seen a couple of people reference getting copies of their records/files after the birth. I am wondering what is the best way to go about doing this? Does the hospital keep separate records than my OB did or does my OB have copies of what happened in the hospital as well? I am just realizing how in the dark I was. The nurse never told me my BP unless I asked and many tests they did I was never given any numbers, just a "fine" or "borderline, we'll retest in 2 days", etc. I am curious to see these numbers for myself. Plus I'm not sure if we'll still be living here if and when we have another baby and I think it would be a good idea to have the records in my posession, just in case. Any info. anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated! Thanks very much.

Anne - 30
DH Vincent - 34
DS Seamus born 7/20/03 at 35 weeks, 5 days - PIH
5 lbs., 3 oz.
anneduffy

Re : How to get copies of your records?

Postby julie f » Tue Apr 13, 2004 09:36 pm

by julie f (7993 Posts), Tue Apr 13, 2004 09:36 pm

Hey Anne,

I'm not sure if every doctor's office is different but, here's how it worked for me:

I went to my OB's office and filled out a request for copies of my records, the nurse called me a couple days later and told me that I could pick them up. For the hospital records I had to go in and fill out some paperwork as well. It took a bit longer from them, about 2 weeks and, they required you to pay for the cost of copying, 20 cents a page I think.

Good luck!

Julie (27)
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26wks - severe pe

Southern California Coordinator
julie f

Postby mada » Wed Apr 14, 2004 06:54 am

by mada (4081 Posts), Wed Apr 14, 2004 06:54 am

That's how it pretty much worked for me as well. I just signed a waiver at my ob's for my file and more paper work at the hospital. YOur hosptial should have a records department and I owuld just try to speak to someone there.

Mada Harpster

Sam 6-29-00 36weeks P.E.
Ben 11-03-01 No P.E.
mada

Postby tahoe4 » Wed Apr 14, 2004 07:28 am

by tahoe4 (251 Posts), Wed Apr 14, 2004 07:28 am

Actually I just submitted a request to my hospital last week and received my records last night. The records from your OB are different from your records at the hospital. I had to sign a release to get my records from my OB. This was free. I had to send a letter to my hospital records dept to request a copy there. This was also free.

In any case, by requesting my hospital records, I hoped to see my fluctuations in blood pressure during my stay. Unfortunately all it listed was that my bp was 160/110 when I arrived and for the next week it was up and down. But it was interesting to see the neurological report from my seizure and you could also see your blood test results.
tahoe4

Postby anneduffy » Wed Apr 14, 2004 03:53 pm

by anneduffy (23 Posts), Wed Apr 14, 2004 03:53 pm

Thank you all so much! This really does help. I just want to be as prepared as possible if we decide to go through this again.

Anne - 30
DH Vincent - 34
5 lbs., 3 oz.
anneduffy

Postby full nest » Mon Apr 26, 2004 05:16 pm

by full nest (156 Posts), Mon Apr 26, 2004 05:16 pm

If you request the hospital records, do they inform your doctor? I'd like to see my records as well because I also was never told any of my results, they just came and took blood every day without saying what it was for or why they were doing it. However, I don't want my doctor to wonder why I want the records. (Often patients request them when onsidering a lawsuit, or example.)

Cheers,
Mother Bird

full nest

Postby anneduffy » Wed Apr 28, 2004 02:21 pm

by anneduffy (23 Posts), Wed Apr 28, 2004 02:21 pm

I think in my case the hospital does not tell your doctor. I don't know that for sure, but it seemed completely separate from my OB when I talked to the Medical Records dept. at my hospital. They did ask me point-blank, "Why do you want them?" I just said that there is a possibility my husband and I are moving before our next baby and since I had complications I want to have my records in case we move. I would say the same thing to my OB if they asked. Oh, and although ordering the records seemed very easy, I was told they'd call me when they were ready and haven't heard anything back. [:(!] So either someone dropped the ball or it takes a really long time! I will have to follow up with them soon.

Anne - 30
DH Vincent - 34
5 lbs., 3 oz.
anneduffy

Return to After your baby is born .....