The "what's that?" stage....and what's normal

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
deerhart

Re : The "what's that?" stage....and what's normal

Postby deerhart » Fri Jun 27, 2008 02:11 pm

Gosh we still use the well what do you think line with our 8 year old (so no the stage NEVER ends).

From everything to why does this happen to what does this word mean..... non stop questions all day long...

kathyc

Postby kathyc » Fri Jun 27, 2008 00:22 am

I'm another one who gives silly answers to questions after a while. I'm pretty terrible about it sometimes. I actually told my kids that dinosaurs died from smoking and that black and white pictures don't have any color because the world didn't have any color until about 40 years ago and that's how everything used to look. The day my daughter came home from school and haughtily informed me that dinosaurs did NOT die from smoking but from a big rock hitting the Earth I about died laughing.

They've both learned to question what Mommy tells them and have gotten pretty good at distinquishing between truth and fiction. I also like to think it helps stretch their imaginations. Sometimes we just make up the silliest explanations for things we can think of. (Their Daddy gives always them straight answers, so they DO get good information from him at least....LOL)

I figure the more questions they ask, the brighter they must be...so it sounds like you've got a little genious on your hands there!!

kelly8sully

Postby kelly8sully » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:55 pm

When we got our 3-year-old info from our doctor, it said, and I am quoting, "Three-year-olds ask more questions than district attorneys." I laughed out loud when I read that. I have decided that the repeated "what that it is?" question over and over is my test of patience. I usually fail the patience test in the morning, but improve as the day goes on! Oh, and if I don't answer right away (and she's near me), she will put her hands on my face -- one on each side and directly ask me the question! Ah... interesting.

ria

Postby ria » Wed Jun 25, 2008 01:11 am

I remember Rylinn going through this stage. It has now changed to "how come?"

Somewhere I read that "Why" is the 2.5 - 3 yr. old's version of the 2 yr. old's "No." Makes me chuckle.

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Tue Jun 24, 2008 02:40 pm

I knew the "what" and "why" stage was normal, I just didn't know if it was normal too ask the same question about the same thing, over an d over and over again in the matter of 5 minutes time. :-) hehee! I like the idea of redirecting her when the questions come flying repeatedly.

onesock

Postby onesock » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:30 am

I think it is totally normal and a great sign that she is curious about what is around her :) She has learned that she can ask questions and get a response (cause and effect) and she is just making sure that she gets LOTS of practice..like a new- found talent!!
Just like the other ladies have said, it only gets worse :) What is that? Why? Where? When? How? My kids still do it :) Bennett has his last baseball game today and he asked me at least 25 times yesterday about the game...when is it? tomorrow? what time? Then he would say...don't forget I have my game tomorrow...how could I ever forget???
It is a great milestone, albiet a very frustrating one at times!!! Hang in there:)
(As I am sitting here typing this, he has mentioned that game twice!!)

sckitzo

Postby sckitzo » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:13 am

we are still in this stage, now it is the who, what, where, why, when. When she was closer to 2 1/2 she would grab a puzzle (that She has done 1000 times) and before putting a peace in she would hold it above every hole that piece did not go, then when she got to the right hole I would praize her, then she would tell me "that's right". So it took like an hour to do a 8 piece puzzle. She know how to do it, but I think she wanted the praize, and attention. We waited so long for her to talk and now she will not stop. This week, the subject of this week is that she will turn four on her birthday (in January next year) and then she will be all grown up and she can eat cake and she will grow boobs like mommy..... I told her she had to grow up before her boobs would grow, so now she thinks she will be grown up by Four. This was to convice her she was a girl, because she kept saying she was a man like daddy, B/C she didn't have boobs like daddy,

The fun is just begging. If you know she knows something, just ask her right back, you can be equally annoying. Or just intentally ask her about something she does not know about. like, What's that , a tree, "that is a tree, do you want to smell some flowers, do they smell good. This will keep them learning about New things, but hopefully cut off the line of what' coming your way.

amanda
Forum Moderator

Postby amanda » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:11 am

Just wait until you get to the "why does it do that" stage - especially when there is no 'why' answer or you just don't know them - ugh - that seemed like it went on FOREVER.

If it doesn't go away by 4 rest assured that it will by 12 - at that age they just get to thinking you are stupid and don't ask ANY questions anymore, in fact, getting them to talk at all becomes a challenge!

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Mon Jun 23, 2008 08:23 pm

Amy, I'm going to try that now too...calling the object of the moment by something else after the 5th "what's that". And Heather, I may have no hair left by the time she reaches 4. OMG! Thank goodness she goes to daycare 3 days a week...she can get lots of questions out while she's there, and mom has some sanity at the office. I love that she's learning and absorbing (and yes we try to watch our language), but some afternoons I can hardly wait til nap time!

jenn
Forum Moderator

Postby jenn » Mon Jun 23, 2008 06:49 pm

Add Natalia to the growing list of "what's that?" kids.

Return to “After your baby is born .....”