Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Clotting disorder questions

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

Clotting disorder questions

Postby amym » Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:06 am

I have had so many blood tests and other tests done since having pregnancy-induced hypertension (whether I had preeclampsia is debatable because I only had a trace of protein) and a baby with IUGR. I have tested "moderately positive" for anticardiolipin antibodies and positive for a heterozygous genetic mutation to prothrombin G20210A.

Because I've been feeling pretty strange ever since the birth (palpitations, shortness of breath, muscle weakness, etc.), one of my doctors has made it his mission to figure out what the heck is going on. I just was referred to a rheumatologist to investigate a possible lupus-type illness (I apparently don't have lupus) related to the clotting factor. I was told anticardiolipin is often found in women who have had PE and babies with IUGR, and that it seems to be an autoimmune kind of thing.

Do any of you guys have anticardiolipin antibodies? What did your doctor tell you about it? Does taking Heparin injections seem to counteract this antibody? And does this mean the hypertension was coincidental or a direct result of this clotting thing?

I have an appointment in mid-May but am so curious!

Amy (28)
DH Adam (31)
DD Delaney (11/26/03, induced @ 37 weeks due to PIH (or maybe PE?) & IUGR, 4 lbs., 8 oz. (and now doing great!)

amy
amym

Re : Clotting disorder questions

Postby deerhart » Mon May 03, 2004 03:35 pm

I have Lupus Antiphospholipid Antibody Syndrome and was told that heprin would reduce my chances of having PE in subsequent pregnancies, but wasn't a guarentee.

What I have, if I understand correctly is the same thing your talking about (antiphosholipid and anticardiolipin are synomyns). I also never really got above a trace of protien and was usually negative, yet exhibited almost all of the other symptomns of PE.

My hemotologist also told me to avoid birth control pills as my risk of blood clots on them is extremely high as is stroke, and that as I got older I may be more at risk for DVT. Also that if I did form a blood clot, they would treat with medication (blood thinner) and if I had a second one, it would most likely be blood thinner for life.

Since I already had 2 children, she recommended I not have any more.

Erin

Moderator - First Time Moms, Parents of Preemies
Missouri State Coordinator
Mommy to Alex and Mason
deerhart

Return to After your baby is born .....