I had my 6 week checkup

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

I had my 6 week checkup

Postby full nest » Wed Apr 21, 2004 08:24 pm

The doctor said I had preeclampsia this pregnancy, but it was only mild and now it's cured. However, since I had it twice the chance of getting it again is high. He said I must wait at least a year if I want more any children, and I should lose weight.

I plan to lose weight regardless, but I'm wondering if it helps that much. Like, could that make the difference between getting it again and not getting it again? Or between getting it severe or getting it mild? Thanks!

Cheers,
Mother Bird

Mom to gbg triplets and a girl born 3/04
full nest

Re : I had my 6 week checkup

Postby deerhart » Wed Apr 21, 2004 09:23 pm

there really is no definite answer to your question because no one knows how much weight truely plays into PE. I was a lot heavier when I had my second child then when I had my first (like 40-50lbs) and I had later onset with milder symptomns then I had the first time.

What is your doc's plan for treatment in another pregnancy? Have you been tested for any underlying conditions?

Erin

Moderator - First Time Moms, Parents of Preemies
Missouri State Coordinator
Mommy to Alex and Mason
deerhart

Postby paljane8 » Thu Apr 22, 2004 07:59 am

You know, the more risk factors you have the greater chance of reoccurance. So, you are wise to reduce the risk factors you can control. But, as Erin pointed out there are others that you can't-like underlying conditions, family tendency towards HTN etc. Mild or severe PE; PIH; HELLP all have their own set of complications and concern, so the question isn't how bad it will be but, know what to be on the lookout for in future pregs. Be sure you are comfortable with the care your health care professional gives. And I am sure you see this recommendation a lot but, really, meeting with a perinatologist before becoming preg can give such great hope and outlook on what to expect. Here are some lists: www.nasshp.org and www.smfm.org.

Take care and keep us updated. How is your "full nest"? How's the newest member?

Nancy Eastwood
Moderator/WA State Co-Coordinator

Calvin-8yrs
Saren-7yrs
Scott-4yrs (PE)
Janie-5/03 (PIH, oligo and low blood flow)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/4/4lbs/
paljane8

Postby full nest » Thu Apr 22, 2004 06:12 pm

Erin - Interestingly, I put on a lot of weight between pregnancies and I also had a milder case this time. But then again, the first time was probably exacerbated by being multiples. He did do a thrombo-something panel which I think is for blood clotting problems. They said they'll have the results in three weeks.

Nancy, thanks for the websites. My doctor is an MFM which is why he recognized the condition so quickly and acted so fast to deliver. I was already under his care for another complication which threatens only the fetus of all my pregnancies - it's like the rh problem, but with a more rare blood group. Basically my body makes antibodies against the baby and the antibodies destory the baby's red blood cells. If the baby becomes too anemic, they give it a blood transfusion in-utero through the umbilical cord as often as necessary to reach 34 weeks. It's supposed to get worse each pregnancy. Thankfuklly we did not need transfusions, but I was monitered constantly.

And you're right about not judging how bad something is. I have my brother's med school textbook which says this is a spectrum of disease with tremendous variability, so whatever criteria they give for labeling the disease should not be considered rigid benchmarks when it comes to treatment - each patient must be assessed individually. For example, with my first pregnancy I didn't have much edema, but my pressures were extremely high and my placenta abrupted. This time I had fluid in my lungs before my blood pressure rose at all. Go figure.

Wow I rambled in this post. Sorry!

Cheers,
Mother Bird

full nest

Postby full nest » Thu Apr 22, 2004 06:33 pm

Erin - I forgot one more thing. He said next time I would take baby aspirin and vitamins C and E.

Cheers,
Mother Bird

full nest

Return to After your baby is born .....