You will die when you read this: Scary Story

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
summerw77

Re : You will die when you read this: Scary Story

Postby summerw77 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 01:41 pm

She wasn't a lic. daycare no, we chose to have a private person because we didn't want him around a ton of other children during RSV season. So we found found someone that lived by us, and paid her. It worked out great for neighbor and I because we felt like our 2 babes were getting all the love and attention, and we both really trusted her. She does not do child care, she is a stay at home retired grandma, her husband works. I am sure she wont'get more kids since she lives out in the middle of nowhere, and she wasn't looking for a job in childcare. As far as child protective services go, her children are grown so there's no point. We found her because our builder built her house and ours, and said she stayed at home...........so we contacted her.
I am not looking at lic. in home daycares, butI really don't want him with 8 kids and 1 adult, whichis what Im finding,that seems like way too much. I Dont know what to do..................
On the medical bills! Believe me I know those are tax deductible Kara LOL! It's 7% of your income, as long as you don't have an HSA account, adn I hit that every year lately sadly........but didn't know on daycare, that's great! Now if only I could find someone I like for daycare............

mnmom
Forum Moderator

Postby mnmom » Sun Aug 24, 2008 08:17 am

Summer-Echoing the others. Please make a call to child protection. I am assuming that she wasn't a licensed in home daycare? You can get a list from your county. There are many, many wonderful home daycares. I have been fortunate enough to find two. BUT- most of the time that is one adult in a hh with multiple kids. Meaning that the checks and balances aren't really there. So, stopping in unannounced often is a great idea.

I'm sorry you had to go through that. How completely scary.

christyrenee86

Postby christyrenee86 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 03:38 am

I am sorry that happened, but glad to know that you found out that she cant be trusted!!! I hope you find someone trustworthy to watch him.

rebeccac

Postby rebeccac » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:50 pm

You may want to contact this organization for help. They may also have ideas on how to handle the situation that happened to you:

http://www.cdhs.state.co.us/childcare/

HTH

surefoott

Postby surefoott » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:35 pm

Wow, Summer. I am so sorry you had to go through this and I am glad Kade is ok. I agree with all the others, CALL CHILD PROTECTIVE SERVICES. This woman should not be allowed to have children in her care. That is terrible.
Again, I am glad your baby is okay.

jenn
Forum Moderator

Postby jenn » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:13 pm

Summer,
My god! I can't even imagine what you are going through after that!!!! I would have post traumatic stress syndrome among other permanent mental health issues. You poor things! My sweet Kade!! I'm so happy he's ok! Hug and hold him for him k?!
I know I'm not conveniently right next door, but if you need any help watching him - my offer is there.
Jenn

rebeccac

Postby rebeccac » Sat Aug 23, 2008 08:00 pm

Sorry you had such a bad experience. I worked in child care for 10 years before DS was born and have seen many scary things. You have to screen potential centers very carefully. My best advice is to go to a center for a tour UNANNOUNCED. When a center director knows that a tour is coming, that gives staff a time to get their act together and be on high alert. When you drop in unannounced, they can't hide anything. Also, check for center violations. These need to be posted in public view at the center (usually by the front door). If they are not and/or you are not allowed to see them, run and don't look back :) Good luck.

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Sat Aug 23, 2008 07:50 pm

Summer,

Yes, child care is tax deductible!! WOOHOO!! It's not a credit, but it is a deduction. Every little bit helps. Oh, and medical expenses over a certain dollar amount are also tax deductible (including health insurance premiums, co-pays, and prescriptions), and with your insurance bills, it might be a good deduction for you.

fiona
Forum Moderator

Postby fiona » Sat Aug 23, 2008 07:12 pm

Summer, that's appalling. I'd have called the cops right there and then. That is criminal behaviour - and you have no way of knowing how many times she left your child by himself.

She can't be allowed to look after children.

anyasmom

Postby anyasmom » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:34 am

Please please please call your local Department of Human Services (Child Protective Services, Youth Services, or whatever your county calls it) and your local law enforcement agency. She will solicit child care in the future, and she will not be giving out your name as a reference, so having a report filed could make a difference for another mom down the road.

I am so sorry this happened to you.

Return to “After your baby is born .....”