New/Reply FAQ Members Login

Tips for helping with tummy time

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

Tips for helping with tummy time

Postby caitlynsmama » Tue Apr 27, 2004 07:07 am

Hi all!

Caitlyn is not a happy camper when it comes to tummy time. She is not in PT as it was not recommended at her six month developmental follow-up clinic at the NICU. So, I am basically working with her every day with exercising her legs, arms, etc. Working on tummy time as well to strengthen her neck. She does not do badly now that I know I have to clap and cheer her on. She is proudly rolling around and scooting around on the back of her head as my Mom told me I did when I was a baby instead of crawling. (maybe she inherited it from me?) I eventually got up and walked. Any comments or advice on? Thanks.

Shannon Mommy to Caitlyn Elizabeth 30 weeks, 3 days born (8/26/2003) early due to PE, IUGR, HELLP syndrome, premature rupture of membranes
caitlynsmama

Re : Tips for helping with tummy time

Postby mada » Tue Apr 27, 2004 07:22 am

I think a lot of babies don't like tummy time. Sometimes shaking a favorite rattle laying on the floor on your tummy with her helps. And the more you do it the more use to it they get!! She sound slike she is doing great!!!!

Mada Harpster

Sam 6-29-00 36weeks P.E.
Ben 11-03-01 No P.E.
mada

Postby paljane8 » Tue Apr 27, 2004 09:07 am

Hey Shannon,

I am a firm believer in early intervention. If you are at all concerned about Caitlyn's development, you can call the school district in your area. Tell them that you have a 6mo old that you want to have screened. They will give you the number for the birth-3yr program in your area. In our experience a lot drs wait until the child is still showing delays by the age of 3 before they recommend therapy. But, there is a tremendous amount of progress that therapy can be do before 3y. You know your child best.

The pt's we had recommended during tummy time putting brightly colored toys out of reach so baby has motivation to get them. Also put them to the side so baby has to pivot. It is hard to tell you how on-line but, like you are doing, help your baby practice being in the crawling position by holding their legs and/arms and gently help them move them alternately. It helps babies get used to the position. You can do the same for any development skill (ie. sitting up etc)

Best of luck to you. Let us know how Caitlyn progresses. And Mada is right, many babies hate tummy time. All 4 of mine did!

Nancy Eastwood
Moderator/WA State Co-Coordinator

Calvin-8yrs
Saren-7yrs
Scott-4yrs (PE)
Janie-5/03 (PIH, oligo and low blood flow)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/4/4lbs/
paljane8

Postby season » Tue Apr 27, 2004 04:50 pm

One thing I did a lot with ds was get down on my tummy too, facing him. One of his favorite things to look at was mommy, so that's what I gave him. I also laid on my abck on the couch (with a pillow behind me) and put him on my tummy. Again he had me to look at, but only if he held his head up. A mirror, they make baby safe ones, that is agled so that she can see it when she looks up while layiong on he tummy is also fun, they like to see babies (she won't know she's looking at herself for quite some time.)

Also, I had a blanket that a small tube like pillow that attached by velcro (much smaller than a boppy.) It propped him up just a little, but encouraged him to use his arms still. Toys attached to the blanket, so he had something to try and get. One of my favorite short videos of him is the first time he got his mouth to the lion's foot. :)

Hope that helps. I also agree about Early Intervention. It can't hurt to have the eval., and they can give you lots of other ideas on how to work with her.

SueAnn
dh Kwame
ds Ezekiel 1/2/02 (34wks due to pre-e)
#2 EDD 7/6/04
season
Forum Moderator

Postby sherry fisher » Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:02 am

There is a tummy time toy that my MIL bought Will. It kept him entertained forever! I believe its made by Fisher Price. I will look for you and post it!

Sherry Fisher (28)
DH: Bill (35)
Proud Mama to:
#1) Alex 1/1/94-PE
#2) Abbie 12/17/97-PIH
#3 Will 08/03/02-PP PE
#4) Anna 04/06/04 - PE
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/b/babyfish3/
Baby Annna;
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/b/babyfish4/
sherry fisher

Return to After your baby is born .....