inguinal hernia? updated

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
christine lyn

Re : inguinal hernia? updated

Postby christine lyn » Sat Apr 06, 638312 1:43 pm

Glad to hear Cameron's surgery went well. My son had a hernia on both sides and had surgery when he was about 2 years old. He slept most of the day after and by early night he was up and playing. Today he's a healthy and happy almost 4 year old.

melly

Postby melly » Thu Mar 14, 638312 11:20 am

Thanks ladies. It was harder than it should have been because he caught the flu a few days after surgery. And then we ALL got the stomach flu. He's a great eater and the last decent meal he had was the night before surgery. Surgery was 11 days ago and he finally got his appetite back today. Today was his 3rd birthday so I'm glad we were all healthy for it. Tomorrow I take the kids in to the pedi for Cam's 3 year appt and Caroline's 6 month. I'm glad we're going in because he's still randomly saying his stomache hurts. Its hard to say if its pain from the stomach flu, hunger or surgery. The swelling has gone down from his surgery and it looks good otherwise. And he's playing and laughing again. Its been a difficult few weeks, but I'm hoping we are out of the woods.

halo79rn

Postby halo79rn » Thu Mar 14, 638312 10:34 am

Oh, sounds like he did great! Poor lil' man! I hope he feels better tomorrow!

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Tue Nov 07, 638311 5:06 am

Poor little guy! I hope he starts feeling better soon.

melly

Postby melly » Tue Nov 07, 638311 2:52 am

Thank you all so much for your insight and support. Cameron's surgery was actually this morning. He was doing great playing with all the toys in the holding room while we waited for surgery. They gave him a sedative to make him relax, then took him to the operating room. They gave him gas and a spinal to numb his groin. The surgery took a little over an hour. He was VERY upset when he started waking up. They came and got me and I held him while they gave him some morephine to knock him out while the anestesthia (sp?) wore off. He was pretty unhappy. He slept for awhile and was alot happier when he woke up. The surgery went well. The surgeon told me that it must have been poking through for some time and it was good that he came in when he did. He said it was only a matter of time before it strangulated. I feel like I should have seen the signs, but I can't think of anything other than the hydrocele that went away. I'm thankful its over and he's on the mend. I put him in his bed when we got home and he threw up all over his sheets and jammies. After cleaning him up I gave him tylenol w/ codiene (which he HATED) and he's been sleeping since about one. I just checked on him and he's snoring. Thank you again ladies!

ginahunt

Postby ginahunt » Mon Nov 06, 638311 6:15 pm

My son had an inguinal hernia repair at 5 months and was only in pain the first day after surgery. We didn't even know he had a hernia until he was 3 months old and it didn't cause him any pain. I can't imagine what you must be going through seeing your little one in pain.
Fortunately there were no complications during surgery. You can't even see the scar anymore and many many times when asked if he's ever had any surgeries I forget to mention it. It was such an uneventful thing.

melly

Postby melly » Mon Sep 11, 638311 4:13 am

Thank you Fiona! I can't tell you how much I appreciate the heads up! That would scare the * out of me if I didn't know that beforehand. It probably will freak me out anyway, but I'm glad to know its normal. He had a febrile convulsion when he was around two and went limp and turned blue. I was hoping not to have to go through that ever again. Thank you for the warning.

And I'll be sure to ask about the anti-nausea meds. No need for him to suffer any more than necessary.

I think you are right about it being hardest on the parent. He doesn't really understand what is going to happen. I've explained that we are taking him to the dr's to make him feel better. I'm not sure how much to explain to him. Thankfully he's doing awesome right now. You'd never know anything was wrong. I hope he will continue to do well until tuesday.

fiona
Forum Moderator

Postby fiona » Sun Sep 10, 638311 10:30 am

Malanie,

Jay had the same op when he was around 2. It was a simple procedure and he came home later the same day - was off daycare for a week, if I remember correctly.

There are a couple of tips I can share: firstly, they allowed me to stay with him while he had his anaesthesia, without telling me that he would turn blue and slump. That freaked me out completely - but it's completely normal.

Also, the first time Jay had surgery, he vomited a lot after he came round. When we went in for this one, we asked them to give him anti-nausea meds beforehand, which worked beautifully.

In my experience, these small surgeries are much harder on the parents than the kids. Good luck.

melly

Postby melly » Tue Aug 29, 638311 9:23 pm

Val- Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm scared of it strangulating too. Thankfully it hasn't popped out yet today. I'm also worried he'll be scared and I won't be able to be there for him during the surgery. Twenty minutes sounds great. I wasn't sure if the two hours was for the surgery itself or the entire visit. I'm guessing they'll take xrays first. The hospital is excellent and they even have scented gases for kids. What type of pain meds did they give Jacob? Motrin or Tylenol or something stronger?

melly

Postby melly » Tue Aug 29, 638311 8:57 pm

We're back from the dr's appt. We scheduled an appt for surgery on tues the 7th. His pedi says its a simple surgery and shouldn't take more than a couple of hours. He should feel fine afterwards. If it becomes red or painful before tues I need to take him in for immediate surgery. Thankfully there is a great children's hospital here. I can't help but worry about my little guy. He has no idea what is going on. He left the dr's today and said "That was fun mommy!" I just pray we can make it until tues with no traumatic er visit.

Return to “After your baby is born .....”