Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Hello

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

Hello

Postby celticepona » Mon May 03, 2004 05:47 pm

by celticepona (1273 Posts), Mon May 03, 2004 05:47 pm

I am introducing myself. My name is Amy, and I have preclampsia 5 weeks post partum. I am very happy to have found this forum, and glad to know I am not alone. I have a beautiful baby girl, but have been scared ever since I was diagnosed at 36 weeks. I am still struggling with high bp and hyperreflexia. I am taking calium tablets for my nerves and am on Norvasc and Altace for my bp...which is all over the place. I developed similar symptoms two years ago after being on birth control pills for 6 years. I wish I knew if and when I will ever feel normal again. I am glad there is a place like this with people that understand. Thank you for listening.
celticepona

Re : Hello

Postby laura » Mon May 03, 2004 07:08 pm

by laura (5139 Posts), Mon May 03, 2004 07:08 pm

Hey there, and welcome! I'm glad you found us! I'd be concerned about that hyperreflexia- have they consulted a neurologist about that yet? If you're still preeclampsia fuzzy, I'd definitely be watching that verrry closely. How's baby?

Laura
Moderator/AK Coordinator

Mom to Alicia (severe PE) 5/98 and Camille (htn, oligo) 4/03
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby momathelete » Mon May 03, 2004 08:21 pm

by momathelete (227 Posts), Mon May 03, 2004 08:21 pm

Welcome!!

We would love to hear about your baby. How are you feeling? Are you pretty tired? Interesting that you had the same symptoms when you were on birth control awhile back. I wonder what the chemical link is and if it could help others.....

Michelle
Moderator -On Bedrest
Interim Local Coordinator -Illinois

mom to Cole (HELP pregnancy, 28 wkr) 5 yrs old
Lainey (preE pregnancy, 29 wkr) 2 yrs old
Ella (PIH, 37 wkr) 8 mns
momathelete

Postby celticepona » Tue May 04, 2004 07:31 am

by celticepona (1273 Posts), Tue May 04, 2004 07:31 am

I am going to see my regular doctor on Thursday, I have been seeing my doctor every week, I have mentioned the hyperreflexia but he did not seem concerned. The doctor I am seeing this week is a woman, so maybe she will be more sympathetic. I will mention my concern about permanent nerve damage and ask about if seeing a neurologist is necessary. I guess according to your responses that my fogginess and jerkiness isnt typical. I will watch it closely but try not to freak out yet...I need to keep my bp down![V] Thank you again..

ps...baby is beautiful. She was born 3 weeks early when I was induced. She was 5 lbs 15 ounces, and is now about 8 pounds. Thank god she came out ok and she is safe now.
celticepona

Postby tracyremax@charter.net » Tue May 04, 2004 02:11 pm

by tracyremax@charter.net (22 Posts), Tue May 04, 2004 02:11 pm

Everyone is different but it took me a long time to recover about 3 months. I remember asking evryone I knew the same question "when will I feel normal again" It is very difficult when you are in the middle of recovery but be patient and give your body time to heal. Keep up with the doctors appts to make sure nothing else is going on. But if it makes you feel any better I have no lasting effects after 3 months. Hang in there!

Tracy in Mass
mom to Billy 9/01
tracyremax@charter.net

Postby paljane8 » Tue May 04, 2004 08:20 pm

by paljane8 (1416 Posts), Tue May 04, 2004 08:20 pm

Hey Amy,

Welcome. I am so sorry for your experience. You are in that rare % that get PE after delivery. And just because it doesn't happen as often doesn't mean that it doesn't happen or that you don't need to be just as viligent. Most of the time if post partum PE happens it will happen within the 1st few weeks after delivery but, it can happen up to 6wks post partum. The thing to be aware of is your symptoms which include headaches, visual disturbances, pain in the upper right quadrant, pain in the shoulder area, hyperreflexia etc. You don't have to have all of the symptoms. But, I agree your doc should be taking hyperreflexia more seriously. When is your appt? Ask the doc about a referral to a neurologist. It is something that should resolve itself and if it is not, it would be good to find out why. Take care. Keep us updated. I'm curious as to what the doc says.

Nancy Eastwood
Moderator/WA State Co-Coordinator

Calvin-8yrs
Saren-7yrs
Scott-4yrs (PE)
Janie-5/03 (PIH, oligo and low blood flow)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/4/4lbs/
paljane8

Postby celticepona » Wed May 05, 2004 08:08 am

by celticepona (1273 Posts), Wed May 05, 2004 08:08 am

hello and thanks for writing. I developed my PE at 36 weeks pregnant, and I was induced at 37 weeks. It has just not gone away. I spoke to my doctor about seeing a neurologist. She says the most important thing now is to get my blood pressure down. It was 150/97 yesterday, while taking Altace and NOrvasc together. She has put me on a mild diuretic to try to bring it down. She says that once the bp comes down, and if I still am shaky, then we will look into a neurologist, she says that if I were to see one now, they would not be able to do much because my bp is still up there...so one hurdle at at time. she feels that once the bp comes down, the reflexia will go away...I hope she is correct. I just took my diuretic, so I will see how my bp does today. I have to go back in two weeks for a bp check...hopefully there will be some improvement.
celticepona

Return to After your baby is born .....