Any one have their gallbladder removed?

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

Any one have their gallbladder removed?

Postby ann marie » Wed May 05, 2004 03:15 pm

Hi Everyone,

I was hoping the chapter of my life with doctors and testing was over, but alas now I need to have my gallbladder removed. The ultrasound showed too many gallstones to count. I was wondering if anyone out there has had their gallbladder removed. I'm having it done on Friday laprascopically. Any words of wisdom about recovery, etc?

On the plus side Luke is 7 weeks old today. He's doing well and getting big...he's over 11 lbs already! We went through a fussy period and the pediatrician switched him to soy formula and he seems to be doing better. He looks exactly like my baby pictures. It's amazing.

Any words of wisdom would be wonderful!

Ann Marie
PIH/PE/Low Amniotic Fluid
Luke 3/17/04--37 weeks
ann marie

Re : Any one have their gallbladder removed?

Postby jenn » Wed May 05, 2004 04:01 pm

Ann Marie,
Hi there. I don't have any experiance in the gallbladder dept. But I just wanted to wish you well. A new baby now this. I couldn't imagine.
Happy to hear you have a such a healthy little guy. May that continue!
Jaidyn was unoffically lactose intolerant too. She's did just fine on alternitive formulas ( once we found one that worked for her).
Wish you prayers for a speedy recovery!

Jennie (24)
Shad DH (28)

Jaidyn 1.24.01 (30 wkr)
Severe PE/HELLP
2lb. 12oz.

Heavenly Angel:
Blaze
(miscarriage)

EDD- Thanksgiving! 11.25.04

http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/j/jaid/
jenn
Forum Moderator

Postby angelkat » Wed May 05, 2004 07:05 pm

I had mine taken out about 5 years ago. The recovery was a fast one!... Wasn't to much pain (thanks to great pain killers!!)

Good Luck!!!

Hugs
~T
Moderator Grief and Loss
Mommy to
Drew(13)
Ky (11)
~i~ Katlyne(12/9/02-04/02/03) & Casey (EDD 09/10 or 09/11-Sure he will be here in Aug)
Katlyne's Tribute Site
http://forevernetwork.com/lifestories/lifestory.cfm?Archive_ID=10971&Directory=/Archives/MountHope&Sort=V
angelkat

Postby taras mom » Wed May 05, 2004 11:30 pm

I hear you, Ann Marie! Just when I'd had enough of doctors, I had my first gallbladder attack. They found a bunch of little stones, just big enough to get caught in the duct and cause trouble.

DO NOT let yourself get constipated afterward unless you need a new definition of pain. Get plenty of fiber and fluid before you start your fast, and if you don't have a bm within a couple of days, ask your doctor to recommend a laxative. Better yet, ask before you leave the hospital; they might send you home with some. Trust me on this.

Also, bring comfy, loose clothes to wear home; maternity underwear and lounge pants are ideal. You'll probably be on clear liquids for a couple of days afterward, so make sure you have jello, broth, apple juice, etc. at home. Finally, my surgeon advised me not to drive for a week after the surgery, so do your important errands beforehand and make sure there's someone available to help with the baby (he's huge![:)]) and drive you in case of an emergency.

For months afterward, I couldn't sleep on my right side. It felt as if my insides had been reassembled wrong. It was strange, but the drs. told me it was normal. I also had a very low tolerance for fat for a long time, but it went away eventually. The scars are very small, too. Good luck!

Carol (38)
DH Bill (40)
Tara Mairichi
12/7-12/9, 2002
The Mightiest Little Angel
taras mom

Postby ann marie » Thu May 06, 2004 05:49 am

Thanks for the tips everyone! I'm going on my clear liquid shopping spree today. Glad to hear that recovery is not too bad. I'll let you know how it goes.

Ann Marie
PIH/PE/Low Amniotic Fluid
Luke 3/17/04--37 weeks
ann marie

Postby sarab » Wed May 12, 2004 10:51 am

Ann Marie,

I hope that everything went well with your surgery!

I had mine out about a month after Maggie was born. Compared to everything that had happened with Maggie and the c-section, I thought the gallbladder was a piece of cake. I actually drove myself up to the NICU where Maggie was later the same day after having my GB removed (don't know if I'm actually bragging about that or not...). I know everyone is different, but I hope that you're recovery is quick and uneventful, too!

Let us know how things are going!

Hugs,

Sara, 23
Local Coordinator, Utah

DH, Scott, 26
Maggie Lylas, 6/9/03, 29 weeks, severe pre-e
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/m/maggielylas/
sarab
Site Admin

Postby paljane8 » Wed May 12, 2004 11:00 am

Hey Guys,

I thought I would update for Ann Marie until she is up to posting. She was very sick after she woke up from surgery and had to stay in the hospital a few days longer than expected. She is home now and recovering.

Take care, Ann Marie and get better soon. Love your guts!

Nancy Eastwood
Moderator/WA State Co-Coordinator

Calvin-8yrs
Saren-7yrs
Scott-4yrs (PE)
Janie-5/03 (PIH, oligo and low blood flow)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/4/4lbs/
paljane8

Postby jenn » Wed May 12, 2004 11:05 am

Get well soon Ann Marie!
More prayers for your speedy recovery!

Jennie (24)
Shad DH (28)

Jaidyn 1.24.01 (30 wkr)
Severe PE/HELLP
2lb. 12oz.

Heavenly Angel:
Blaze
(miscarriage)

EDD- Thanksgiving! 11.25.04

http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/j/jaid/
jenn
Forum Moderator

Postby angelkat » Wed May 12, 2004 12:33 am

Ann Marie..

Sending you healing vibes!!!.... Get well soon!

Hugs
~T
Moderator Grief and Loss
Mommy to
Drew(13)
Ky (11)
~i~ Katlyne(12/9/02-04/02/03) & Casey (EDD 09/10 or 09/11-Sure he will be here in Aug)
Katlyne's Tribute Site
http://forevernetwork.com/lifestories/lifestory.cfm?Archive_ID=10971&Directory=/Archives/MountHope&Sort=V
angelkat

Postby 5thtymachrm » Wed May 12, 2004 03:16 pm

Get Well Soon AnnMarie...I just got to this post today and didn't realize...I hope you are doing better now.

Elizabeth
Moderator-On Bedrest
Seattle,WA
11/20/03 Indigo E. (born with no PE @ 37 weeks, 5lbs 13oz) (Pg Issues:33 weeks of bedrest!, PIH(atenolol),hyperemesis, hypothyroidism, cancer remission, asthma, 8cm blood clot @3wks)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/i/indigopage/
11/17/95 m/c @14wks
1/97 m/c @3wks
2/98 m/c @5wks
8/02 m/c @3wks
5thtymachrm

Next

Return to After your baby is born .....