Speech?

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
dohertyab

Re : Speech?

Postby dohertyab » Tue May 25, 638315 10:16 pm

My youngest didn't have any words at 18 months - really, lots of sounds and she showed all the signs of understanding everything we said, but I'd say ball and she'd grunt. She'd make a range of sounds but just not in reference to anything specific. The twins had 3 word sentences at 18 months (adj) and they were my preemies! Sure enough at 21 months - full sentences from Maeve. We can't keep her quiet now! For whatever reason she just wasn't interested in talking. IF you're not seeing any other signs of hearing issues (does she react to loud noises) or developmental issues then I would suggest she's fine and give it a few more months. Maeve is now 3 and somedays I have no idea of what she's just said - some sounds kids aren't ready to make until much older. Keep watching her, but they do things when they're ready.

hols537

Postby hols537 » Tue May 25, 638315 1:11 pm

I love Babycenter too! You can even signup for an email update which comes once a week with updates on what's going on with your child at that time. I find they are really timely (now that Alexander is nearly caught up) - before, I just put in his birthday as his due date. As he caught up, I moved his birthday to the real day. I also read the "What to Expect" books. Someone gave me the "toddler" version (which I had no intention of buying thinking I wouldn't need it) and have found that really useful too. (On a side note, I never used the "expecting" version...)

blythe

Postby blythe » Sat May 15, 638315 6:12 pm

Hallie, you know you are always welcome to ask any question here and get everyone's input, but I thought I'd share my "mommy secret". I use http://www.babycenter.com/toddler - because I was constantly freaking myself out by comparing my firstborn to every other child I met - and he was only 3 weeks early!!! Babycenter has articles written by doctors, nice summaries of what is "normal" for each age.

So - 14 months: http://www.babycenter.com/303_14-months_1615744.bc - down the page a bit to
http://www.babycenter.com/0_your-14-mon ... 1213388.bc
At 14 months, your toddler understands many more words than she can say. Her spoken vocabulary likely consists of about three to five words, typically "Mama," "Dada," and one other simple word such as "ball" or "dog," but she learns the meanings of new words every day.
or - 17 months http://www.babycenter.com/303_17-months_1615746.bc - down the page a big to
http://www.babycenter.com/0_your-17-mon ... 1213788.bc
Observing a child as she learns to talk is one of the most fascinating experiences of parenthood. Some children babble with an occasional recognizable word mixed in. Others learn to say one word clearly and then add another, slowly building up a vocabulary. Others may use one word for days or weeks and then suddenly drop it. Which is normal? Actually, each is.

and - this one took a little poking around - http://www.babycenter.com/0_warning-sig ... y_12293.bc
at 18 months, isn't saying at least six to 10 words

season
Forum Moderator

Postby season » Sat May 15, 638315 7:01 am

Hallie,

She sounds like she's doing great with speech. One year olds ar not necessarily understandable and when it's said that they should say x number of words -those words do not have to be spoken correctly just used consistently. Like her word for soap. (You and your dh probably also understand her better than other people, which is also normal.) If I recall, stringing 2 words togther is a 2yo milestone. Could be wrong though.

If she's already recognizing letters, then it sounds like she's pretty advanced. My ds knew 2 letter, both form his name, when he was 2 and that was more than most kids his age knew. (it was a few years bfor he could recognize many othr letters -but E and Z he knew rally well.)

Continue talking, reading and singing to her - as those will all help build language. It's alos normal for many toddlers to not sit still for reading. They are often still listening though.

mnmom
Forum Moderator

Postby mnmom » Sat May 15, 638315 1:20 am

Hi Hallie! We have been involved with early intervention for speech since early this summer. Jaden, my 35 weeker, is pretty delayed in his expressive language. We were worried because he really didn't attempt much speech, what he did was difficult to understand, and he never really babbled much as an infant. From what you are describing, Gabrielle is at or ahead of her actual age, never mind adjusted age! She is doing great, and you are doing all of the right things to encourage language- reading, singing and encouraging her. We just went through an extensive hearing test for Jaden. He passed all with flying colors except the very low sounds, and they are retesting that as they think he may have just become bored with it all. If her receptive language is good, which it sounds like it is, I wouldn't stress about this one. Certainly, at her next appointment, bring up speech issues and ask if your ped feels there is an issue, but I am pretty sure you will hear that she is doing absolutely wonderful!

christine lyn

Postby christine lyn » Fri May 14, 638315 10:16 pm

Hi my son's pedi was after me to look into EI for my son's speech before he was two but I waited until after he turned two to look into it. He got evaluated an qualified for speech. He needed his hearing checked again because they said if he had any hearing problems that could be why he wasn't hearing the full words correct. To them it would sound like they were under water if there was a hearing problem and that could be why he was not pronouncing his words the right way. I could understand him ok but everyone else had a hard time.

hols537

Postby hols537 » Fri May 14, 638315 7:25 pm

I don't think you've got anything to about at this point. At my son's 18 month checkup, the expectation was about 10 words and putting together words was considered advanced. If she seems to understand most of what you say to her (receptive language), then I doubt you've got anything to worry about hearing-wise. At her age, what matters is that she is using "words" consistently, even if an outsider couldn't understand them. There are some sounds which are difficult for young children to say. My 20 month old (18 adjusted) won't even try to say his own name, but has a vocabulary of over 100 words and has only started putting words together into sentences in the last month. In my non-expert opinion, Gabrielle is advanced for her adjusted age (possibly her actual age too) in the language department. Hope this helps (FYI - I'm mostly telling you what I learned when I had the same concern with Alexander.)!

mommiesangel

Speech?

Postby mommiesangel » Fri May 14, 638315 5:25 pm

Gabrielle is 17 mos old (birth) and 14 1/2 mos old (adjusted) so far she has the vocabulary 40 wrds but not all of them are clear. She loves using the "s" in everything. Except when she says soap that is usually ooohp (sorry can't spell it like she says it LOL). Glasses are usually isses, and so on. Should we be worried about this or is she right on track with most 14 1/2 mo olds? We read to her as much as possible-though she has a very short attention span and will run away after a page or two, we do still keep reading to her. She does reconize several of her sponge letters and shapes. She even says a few of the letters S, H, X, she tries to say B and G. I sing to her all the time (children's nursery rymes). She also knows when to say more when she wants more of something. Gabrielle has said 2 wrds together only once or twice in the past week or so.

Should we be worried about this? Do you think its something we should bring up to the pedi when she has her 18 mo appointment next month? Should she get another hearing test done, the only one she got was when she was in the step down unit and was only gestational age of 33 wks.

Return to “After your baby is born .....”