potty trained, stopped pooping in the potty???

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
onesock

Re : potty trained, stopped pooping in the potty???

Postby onesock » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:56 pm

YES!ME! In fact, my stop pooper was just in the ER 2 weekends ago because he was not going and he was full! We are not sure what brings it on..if the stool is hard, change in diet or what, but he can go from regular to super stopped up in 4 days. This has been an issue since he was 2 1/2..he is 7 now. He has been hospitalized for it, because he ended up getting e coli in his kidneys from it. Try not to let it go too far, because it can really get nasty..they can't concentrate, of course it hurts and it is just not healthy. We had to do a regimine of Miralax doubling and tripling with no BM until he went. Finally he is going everyday, which is what we want at this time, until we get back on schedule. Just make sure you don't let it go on and that when she is going, she is going a decent amount, not just a few pebbles. Good luck.

halo79rn

Postby halo79rn » Tue Feb 17, 2009 05:05 pm

thanks for all of the thoughts. She's doing better! She had been using the toilet, but I've been keeping her potty chair in her room by her bed, so she can hop up if she feels like she needs to go... and she does. I think cutting back on milk helped too... which is tough, since she's so small. but i have to cut back to just breakfast and dinner and watch her other dairy intake. She's still getting whole milk b/c she's tiny.
thanks again.

season
Forum Moderator

Postby season » Sun Feb 01, 2009 07:04 pm

If she had even just one hard painful poop, then she might be afraid of ti re-occuring. So, she holds it until as stated above she's relaxed and her body takes over at nap time. Can you try having her sit longer on the potty when you think she needs to poop. Maybe you can read her a couple of books while she sits - and hopefully she'll relax and go. Have you asked her about it? Even at 3 she may be able to give you some idea of why she does not poop on the potty.

macbabyismine

Postby macbabyismine » Sun Feb 01, 2009 02:30 am

my daughter (when she was little) always pooped in the warm bath, the pedi said that it is because the warm water relaxed her and made her go, so i would guess that may be the same thing that is happening to libby, she is very relaxed while sleeping and goes.. my daughter just outgrew it and i learned to put her in the bath for a few min and take her out to go to the potty, sorry i don't know what to do while she is sleeping, but the pull ups are a good idea

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:47 pm

Avery has had similar issue a few weeks ago. I truthfully think for her it's being preoccupied and not wanting to stop playing to go. And then once she falls asleep, she's all relaxed, and out it comes. Avery also tinkles regularly - which I think might just be harder to hold...and faster when she does go.

She hasn't had the problem this week....so maybe it's a phase. She is also three and has been trained since maybe end of August.

Before nap time try to encourage her to sit on the potty and try - see if that helps. Maybe if she sits there long enough she might have the urge. We even put a pull-up on at nap time for a few days until she had fewer accidents.

I almost even thought it might be just bad timing - her body decided it was ready at the same time she was napping. Hopefully it's just a phase for her too.

halo79rn

potty trained, stopped pooping in the potty???

Postby halo79rn » Sat Jan 31, 2009 08:30 pm

Libby is 3. she's been potty trained (as in dry, in big girl undies, aka "princess pants" for months... since November). For the last few weeks she's stopped pooping in the toilet and goes when she's laying down for naptime or bedtime.
delaying sleep?
constipation issue? (we cut back on milk to see if it would work.)
too preoccupied to go poop during the day? (she has no issue stopping to go tinkle)

anyone else? any suggestions?

I asked our pedi and she just said that her friend's toddler is doing the same thing. she doesn't have any suggestions. she checked her out to make sure there were no visible tears... her stools have been soft lately (she had a hard one a few weeks ago... which made me cut on dairy and I think is the reason for the change). But how to get her to go on the toilet again???

Return to “After your baby is born .....”