Switching to toddler bed

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
mommy1st

Re : Switching to toddler bed

Postby mommy1st » Sun May 22, 638603 4:03 am

Braden went into a toddler bed when he was 18 months. I know it's young but we did it this way because we were TTC at the time and didn't want him to get shipped out of his crib for a new sibling. Now that we have Alexa and I am quite sure we are done with kids we might not do it as young, maybe wait til she is 2 or 2.5.
We are probably going to get Braden a twin bed for his birthday ( he'll be 4 in August) he is getting really tall for the Toddler bed not growing out of it just yet but by August he sure will be! So I have to say it has lasted us awhile and Alexa will use it once she is older too. We got it at BRU and it was $80 and worth it!

babyemsmom

Postby babyemsmom » Sat May 21, 638603 7:57 pm

My little girl is in her toddler bed now and she is 19 months. Main reason we did it is because she is tall and climbed out of her crib. Scared the daylights out of me, so into the toddler bed she went...the next night. Mine also has the rail that goes about 3/4 of the way down the bed. She is also a mover, but I put a pillow near the opening so she won't fall on the floor.

summerw77

Postby summerw77 » Sat May 21, 638603 7:42 pm

I was just thinking the same thing, we're going to do early potty training (like probably in the next couple of months) and I want him in a bed! I'm glad you posted this! I was told also to just put a babygate on their door so in case they get up they cna't go anywhere LOL. That's what I'm goign to do , make his bed liek a cage LOL.

christine lyn

Postby christine lyn » Fri Apr 29, 638603 5:34 am

Hi Hallie,
We went right to a twin size bed only because my husband does wood work and made the head board and foot board with side rails high enough in case our son rolled out. He still has them which he can easily climb over now that he's 4. One of these day's I'll have DH cut the side rails off.

mommiesangel

Postby mommiesangel » Thu Apr 28, 638603 5:58 pm

Thanks everyone I knew I came to the right place to ask:0> Glad to know gabrielle isn't the only one that moves about her crib. My inlaws said that DH used to do it all the time too but not to the extreme Gabrielle does.

Heather: The 5 in 1 crib set we got is by Delta and after we purchased it and put it all together we read the reviews saying that parents had to buy a rail for it from that company but it wasn't the best one it was short (height wise) and it was expensive to buy. I am thinking of using my mom's rail that she bought for her crib-it also converts into a toddlerday bed but its not the full extention of the bed.

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Thu Apr 28, 638603 12:58 pm

Does your conversion kit have a rail for the toddler bed configuration? DS and DD's beds both came with a wooden rail that bolted into the toddler bed, and it was great. It was about a foot tall and ran the length of the bed. That said, DS stayed in the crib configuration until he was almost three, and I'm planning on keeping Ella in one as long as possible, too (until, like Holly mentioned, she needs to get up to hit the bathroom). N was only in the toddler configuration for a handful of months when we converted it to the full size. Even now, at almost five, we arrange his pillows around him so he doesn't accidentally roll out (not to say he hasn't a time or two ;)...).

season
Forum Moderator

Postby season » Thu Apr 28, 638603 10:18 am

Oh and for the moving around thing - my dd sleeps in the craziest positions. She is in a full-size bed and she is often sideways pr even upside down.

Another thought - many people go from crib to twin or full-size bed and skip the toddler bad. There is no developmental reason for the toddler bed. They are nice because they are small and thus fit in small spaces, and some kids like to have their little bed, but many kids do better with the bigger space when they leave the crib.

season
Forum Moderator

Postby season » Thu Apr 28, 638603 10:09 am

Hallie,

I have little personal experience with this as I co-slept.

But, most of the people I know that used cribs, moved their little one when the child could climb out and/or they wanted to rearrange for another reason (2nd baby - or just other space issues.) Many kids are ate least 2 before they make the switch. Also some toddler beds have side rails to help give the child a sense of boundary of the bed - so they don't just roll off.

hols537

Postby hols537 » Thu Apr 28, 638603 8:15 am

I plan to keep Alexander in his crib until he starts climbing out or is potty trained and needs to be able to get up at night. For now, we're all happier with him in the crib :)

My niece is 7 and she doesn't stay still when she sleeps. She still falls out of bed sometimes. Some kids are just movers. My personal preference is to keep them in the crib as long as it's safe and practical.

amanda
Forum Moderator

Postby amanda » Thu Apr 28, 638603 7:52 am

Hallie - it depends - I have one that I swear does a complete circle in the bed every night and one that never moves both have always been this way though. If it works for her then I don't know if there's anything wrong with it - in fact thinking about it I've come in from time to time to check on my stepson and he's asleep with his knees up and one leg in a folded over the knee position - I think that sounds terribly uncomfortable but he's asleep, as peaceful as can be...

Agreeing totally on the crib thing!

Return to “After your baby is born .....”