Taking off the diaper...

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
hols537

Re : Taking off the diaper...

Postby hols537 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:35 am

3rd the cat pee enzyme cleaner! We also had a lot of luck with diaper removal when we moved Alexander to a toddler bed (at 2).

For the bed, to make clean up easier you can put the waterproof cover and sheet and then another waterproof cover and sheet over that. It speeds up changes :)

season
Forum Moderator

Postby season » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:46 am

I agree - for the mattress use a cleaner designed to remove pet urine stains. Afterward setting it in the sun would still be good to help it dry.

FYI - for future accidents on carpet, mattress, couch etc - I cover the area, while the urine is still wet, in baking soda and let it sit for awhile and then vacuum it up. It dries up the urine and removes the smell.

If he is pulling down the diaper then the backwards onesie under his other clothes will really help. He will have trouble unsnapping it and with it on he won't be able to push the diaper down. You could start introducing the potty - without full-blown training. I started mine with sitting n the potty when eh woke and before bed. This got him familiar with sitting on the potty - and sometimes he went - which then helped him see that that is where we go.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Wed Apr 29, 2009 01:47 am

Oooh! Cat urine enzyme cleaner!

Bleach won't do a thing. Ask me how I know.

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:13 pm

He may be craving some independance and knows that taking off his diaper is something he can do that you can't control much. In our house "eating" or shall I say NOT eating is Avery's tool. Transitioning to the toddler bed and making a big deal out of it went a long way in some struggles we had. Maybe a last ditch effort, but worth the suggestion.

As for the mattress....we bought the kind that is pee-proof. :-) AND put a pee-proof mattress cover on it. I'd try the bleach method, or a vinegar solution. And vinegar solution or lemon juice in the hair...followed by shampoo.

Let us knwo how it goes.

blythe

Postby blythe » Tue Apr 28, 2009 07:54 pm

Thanks everyone! I'm thinking of the PJs on backward trick - tape won't work because he actually pushes his diaper down like underwear! And yep, he takes the underwear off, too - in the crib or out of it - and just because he wants to, not necessarily because he has to go to the bathroom. I'm still resisting the potty training because #1 took all summer to train - I taught my cats to sit, but I guess I stink at potty training! I have to do something, though...

In the meantime, follow-up question, anyone have any ideas of how to clean a pee-soaked mattress? I'm about ready to throw bleach on it and set it in the sun. And any suggestions on shampoo? I'm using adult shampoo, but his hair still smells like urine (eww)...

mnmom
Forum Moderator

Postby mnmom » Tue Apr 28, 2009 08:17 am

Su- glad my misery made you smile:) Welcome to my world of boys......

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Mon Apr 27, 2009 09:40 am

We taped my 2nd child's dipaer on for a while. Not kidding!! We had a whole system - if the tape ends were in front she could still get it off so they had to overlap in the back only. And masking tape ripped too easily so we used electrical tape - but duct would certainly work too!! This was like at 16-18 months before she was at all ready to PT.
I *think* she was ready at 2 1/2 but that's when I started going downhill with PE in my 3rd pregnancy & just couldn't spend the time or energy sitting by the potty encouraging her to go all the time. Then I was on bedrest & then Ali was born. She ended up being very strong willed and didn't PT until about a month before 3 - well after the age her big sis had PT. And everyone kept telling me she'd regress after the baby came so I wasn't inclined to spend too much time doing it. After Ali was born it was easy peasy once she decided to do it!

suleaf

Postby suleaf » Mon Apr 27, 2009 07:57 am

Lori- omg. That's the first time I laughed in DAYS.... It all makes sense- DH's mom never told him to push it down!

mnmom
Forum Moderator

Postby mnmom » Mon Apr 27, 2009 07:45 am

Heather,
Jaden decided to start potty training before either of us were ready for it. Fourth child syndrome, I believe we coined it here. He actually does very well during the day. It was summer here, he was home much of the time, and he ran around in just underwear, or even in his bday suit. He did have some floor accidents, which I believe I shared with the group. That didn't last long when it received a negative response.

His daycare takes his classroom to the bathroom constantly and he has never had an accident there. I still use pull ups for nap and over night. Because they are diapers, he seems ok with that and doesn't remove them.

I say go for it. Take 48 hrs and make it a potty celebration. We did this with AJ. Huge praise everytime he went on the potty; dancing, singing..... and a celebration dinner to top it off. This really worked for him. BUT, he was ready.

One thing our daycare mom did with tiny trainers was to put them on the potty backwards; facing the back. And for boys, just remind them to push it down.....Of course, that reminder will be constant until they are ?? I'll let you know when DH finally gets it.

hols537

Postby hols537 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 07:31 am

jkaay - I've heard the baby bjorn potties are good for boys because they have a built in "shield".

Return to “After your baby is born .....”