Taking off the diaper...

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
season
Forum Moderator

Re : Taking off the diaper...

Postby season » Mon Apr 27, 2009 00:11 am

First, you need to decide which direction you want to go in:
1) Potty train
2) stop the diaper removal

1) Put him in training pants (not pull-ups) and take him to the potty at regular intervals - PLUS get a couple plastic potties to put in the places he hangs out. Even if he does not make it to the potty take him after accidents too - and explain that pee pee goes in the potty. If he's ready he will catch on quickly.

2) To keep the diaper on requires some creative clothing usage. ie onesies put on backwards with overalls on top, or with footie pajamas on backwards. Also, the diaper on backwards may make it harder to remove.

I hope you find a way to stop the messes.

blythe

Postby blythe » Sun Apr 26, 2009 09:52 pm

Heh. Jenn, I've considered it....

;->

jenndola
Forum Moderator

Postby jenndola » Sun Apr 26, 2009 09:45 pm

Two words...duct tape. ;)

jkaay

Postby jkaay » Sun Apr 26, 2009 09:15 pm

My grandson is turning 2 very soon, and as number 3 boy is SO ready to potty train. This morning he was dry from overnight, so I sat him on the toilet, and he obligingly had LOTS of pee. The problem is...his little penis is so small it's hard to point it in the right direction! LOL! Any ideas?

hols537

Postby hols537 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 08:40 pm

Alexander went through a phase of this not too long ago. Interestingly, when he moved to a toddler bed, he stopped taking off his PJs and diaper. He only does it during the day if he only has on a diaper, so I have no suggestions for that. A friend of mine cut the feet of the footie PJs and sewed them on backwards so her little one can't unzip the PJs.

He might feel more inclined to head to the bathroom himself though if he's in underwear. Boys have the luxury of not soaking themselves should they pee naked, but if they're stuck in underwear it might feel a little more uncomfortable...of course if he removes said underwear prior to peeing on the floor I guess it won't do much good.

We're starting to think about potty training Alexander since he's been expressing interest...

catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby catherine » Sun Apr 26, 2009 08:18 pm

Heather, I never ever considered potty training until they were a) sleeping though the night dry even if they filled their diaper the minute they woke up and b) could autonomously access the bathroom so at a minimum toddler bed.

I was greatly assisted in this by their daycare that always transitioned the 18-20 month olds into cots on the floor for all naps. At that point... you're good to go provided you've a gate at the top of the stairs and you've trained yourself to close all door except the bathroom.

In my experience, each successive child trains earlier, probably because they've excellent examples to follow. Chloe, bless her continent little heart, trained on (literally) her 2nd birthday... so there is much promise for #3!

blythe

Taking off the diaper...

Postby blythe » Sun Apr 26, 2009 07:27 pm

I've been lazy about potty training, I admit it :-D. But #2 is taking matters into his own hands and I'm trying to roll with it.

Most of the time during the day I can catch him taking off his diaper and get him to the toilet.

The problem comes at naptime and bedtime. No matter what he's wearing - footie pajamas, jeans and a shirt, or just the diaper - he strips. I'm doing laundry twice a day and tossing him in the shower twice a day, and the floor next to his crib has a few damp spots where he has peed outside the crib instead of on his sheets.

While he's awake, if I don't catch him taking off his diaper he pees on the floor - he shows no inclination to go to the bathroom himself. If he did, I might consider transitioning him to a toddler bed as well as potty training and hope that would solve things.

Any ideas??

Return to “After your baby is born .....”