super sensitive baby tummy!

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

super sensitive baby tummy!

Postby celticepona » Sat May 22, 2004 08:01 am

My little angel, Emily, has formula allergies. We started her on Enfamil lipil in the hospital, and she seemed to do fine for a few weeks, then her stool got very soft and she became colicky. Her doctor switched her to soy. HEr stools started to form, and then a week later, they were liquid. Now we are on Enfamil Nutramigen, hoping that she will be able to adjust to this. I had the same formula allergies when I was a baby, and my mom put me on Similac, but even that bothers her. What I can't believe is how much that formula costs!!!! 23 dollars for a 1lb can of powder! My little one is a bottomless pit, so we will go through that in no time! I wonder if there is anyone I could complain to about the outrageous cost of formula!
Also, I have checked myself at 7 weeks postpartum, and I still have colostrum!!! Is that normal? I considered trying to get my milk going and bottlefeeding her breastmilk, but at my checkup yesterday at my doctors they said I was still preeclampsic,and they want to keep me on my meds, altace, norvasc, celexa, and diuretic. I am afraid to switch to meds that would be considered safe for breastfeeding because the combo I am on now is working at keeping my bp under control, and my bp did not go down until I went on the altace, even while taking the norvasc alone.

My poor baby, maybe I can still try to express milk and thow it away until I am weaned off my meds, but god knows when that will be! Also, I tried expressing the colostrum to get my milk going, and it was extremely painful! That was two days ago and my nipples are still sore...is that normal? I know this is long but I have alot on my mind!!!!
celticepona

Re : super sensitive baby tummy!

Postby sandy » Sat May 22, 2004 08:14 am

You do have a lot going on!! I'm sorry things are crazy for you right now.

My DD has been using Nutramigen from about 4 months to now (11 months) and at 12 months we're cutting her off! I agree; it is outrageously expensive. With that said, she has tolerated it very well and it has been wonderful because of that.

I have found $23/1 lb., but I have searched around here (CA)...and have found a Target store that sells it for $20/1 lb. Not all Target stores I have found, but I did find one relatively close to home. I think a "Babies 'R Us" (farther away for me) out here sells it for the $20/ 1 lb. as well.

~Sandy/DD born via emergency C at 35 wks/1 day June '03 due to Severe PE/class III HELLP

Risk factors: HBP/asthma/high cholesterol

currently TTC for #2
sandy

Postby arj » Sat May 22, 2004 02:43 pm

Formula is amazingly expensive!! I was so hoping to nurse my baby for a year to avoid using it but around 8 months, he totally rejected the boob and I just couldn't pump enough to continue...[:(]

Anyway, I don't think that it's at all unusual to be able to express milk 7 weeks post-part. I've definitely heard of that. And I think that if you were totally committed to a strict pumping regimen that you might be able to resume breastfeeding, although I am not a lactation consultant. If you are interested in that possibility, I would definitely set up an appt. with a lactation consultant ASAP and she would not only be willing but I bet THRILLED to help you out.

Good luck with your decision, and I hope that everything works out and you get healthy soon!

Allison (28)
DS-Evan, 7/19/2003. PE at 40 weeks
arj

Postby kim » Sun May 23, 2004 09:04 am

Does Emily have reflux? Her tummy issues sound a lot like my Ainsley's were. Severe colic (screaming 18 hours a day) runs in my family, and after a few tests on Ainsley, we found out it was reflux, not allergies.

We were on Alimentum, which was soooooo expensive and it smelled AWFUL!! It only worked for a while. Our pedi tried Enfamil AR (added rice), which worked wonders. It was thicker and easier on the tummy...

Hope she gets to feeling better soon!!

Kim
Texas Chapter Coordinator

Ainsley 11/26/02-36 Weeks Preeclampsia
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/ainsleyk/
kim

Postby tahoe4 » Mon May 24, 2004 09:00 am

I thought I was paying out the wazoo at $13.59 per one pound can of Neosure! Wow that formula your baby is one is so expensive, I can't imagine! I don't know if this would help, but we found out that we could order Neosure off of EBay for MUCH cheaper than it sells for in stores, maybe $8 or $9 per can. Not sure if you'd be able to find yours on EBay depending on how common it is, but it's worth a try.

Stephanie

Casey - DD born 12/25/02 at 6 weeks premature
Prego again! - EDD 6/18/04, but c-section date will be 6/4/04 at 38 weeks
tahoe4

Postby celticepona » Mon May 24, 2004 10:06 am

Thanks for writing back, but I am not sure if she can tolerate the nutramigen either! She had diarhea saturday night, and she hasn't had a bowel movement since...she has been on the nutramigen since Thursday. I am going to wait for her to poo one more time and see how it comes out, and if it is still soft, I will call the pediatrican back and scream HELP!!!!!

My mom says I had the same formula allergies. I would eat and it would come right out the other end. I couldnt handle Enfamil, but I tolerated Similac. I tried similac with her weeks ago and she had a hard time. Has anyone had any luck with Carnation Good STArt with the commfort protiens?

DD Emily born 4-01-04 at 37 weeks due to severe PE/Eclampsia. Currently postpartum preeclampsic/hyperreflexic. On medication.
celticepona

Postby paljane8 » Mon May 24, 2004 10:39 am

What did the ped say? BTW, Em's pic is sweet!

Nancy Eastwood
Moderator/WA State Co-Coordinator

Calvin-8yrs
Saren-7yrs
Scott-4yrs (PE)
Janie-5/03 (PIH, oligo and low blood flow)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/4/4lbs/
paljane8

Postby celticepona » Mon May 24, 2004 10:47 am

The ped thinks she has problems digesting protein...I have no idea...I will see how her next bm turns out....(crosses fingers!)

DD Emily born 4-01-04 at 37 weeks due to severe PE/Eclampsia. Currently postpartum preeclampsic/hyperreflexic. On medication.
celticepona

Postby celticepona » Wed Jun 02, 2004 07:29 am

I think we found a formula that works! Isomil! I took her for her 2 month checkup today, and the doc says she is doing excellent! 10lbs 9oz...not bad after being born at 5lb 15 oz! Her poos are starting to form again, and the doc said that it is no big deal if they get mushy, as long as it is not running up her back...so we will stick with that. THANK GOD!!!! I was getting more gray hairs!!!!!

DD Emily born 4-01-04 at 37 weeks due to severe PE/Eclampsia. Currently postpartum.
preeclampsic/hyperreflexic. On medication.

http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/e/emilyfionaspage/
celticepona

Postby paljane8 » Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:46 am

10.9! WOW! That is wonderful news. I am glad the Isomil is working. Is she sleeping through the night?

Nancy Eastwood
Moderator/WA State Co-Coordinator

Calvin-8yrs
Saren-7yrs
Scott-4yrs (PE)
Janie-5/03 (PIH, oligo and low blood flow)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/4/4lbs/
paljane8

Next

Return to After your baby is born .....