super sensitive baby tummy!

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

Re : super sensitive baby tummy!

Postby tahoe4 » Mon May 24, 2004 09:00 am

I thought I was paying out the wazoo at $13.59 per one pound can of Neosure! Wow that formula your baby is one is so expensive, I can't imagine! I don't know if this would help, but we found out that we could order Neosure off of EBay for MUCH cheaper than it sells for in stores, maybe $8 or $9 per can. Not sure if you'd be able to find yours on EBay depending on how common it is, but it's worth a try.

Casey - DD born 12/25/02 at 6 weeks premature
Prego again! - EDD 6/18/04, but c-section date will be 6/4/04 at 38 weeks

Postby kim » Sun May 23, 2004 09:04 am

Does Emily have reflux? Her tummy issues sound a lot like my Ainsley's were. Severe colic (screaming 18 hours a day) runs in my family, and after a few tests on Ainsley, we found out it was reflux, not allergies.

We were on Alimentum, which was soooooo expensive and it smelled AWFUL!! It only worked for a while. Our pedi tried Enfamil AR (added rice), which worked wonders. It was thicker and easier on the tummy...

Hope she gets to feeling better soon!!

Texas Chapter Coordinator

Ainsley 11/26/02-36 Weeks Preeclampsia

Postby arj » Sat May 22, 2004 02:43 pm

Formula is amazingly expensive!! I was so hoping to nurse my baby for a year to avoid using it but around 8 months, he totally rejected the boob and I just couldn't pump enough to continue...[:(]

Anyway, I don't think that it's at all unusual to be able to express milk 7 weeks post-part. I've definitely heard of that. And I think that if you were totally committed to a strict pumping regimen that you might be able to resume breastfeeding, although I am not a lactation consultant. If you are interested in that possibility, I would definitely set up an appt. with a lactation consultant ASAP and she would not only be willing but I bet THRILLED to help you out.

Good luck with your decision, and I hope that everything works out and you get healthy soon!

Allison (28)
DS-Evan, 7/19/2003. PE at 40 weeks

Postby sandy » Sat May 22, 2004 08:14 am

You do have a lot going on!! I'm sorry things are crazy for you right now.

My DD has been using Nutramigen from about 4 months to now (11 months) and at 12 months we're cutting her off! I agree; it is outrageously expensive. With that said, she has tolerated it very well and it has been wonderful because of that.

I have found $23/1 lb., but I have searched around here (CA)...and have found a Target store that sells it for $20/1 lb. Not all Target stores I have found, but I did find one relatively close to home. I think a "Babies 'R Us" (farther away for me) out here sells it for the $20/ 1 lb. as well.

~Sandy/DD born via emergency C at 35 wks/1 day June '03 due to Severe PE/class III HELLP

Risk factors: HBP/asthma/high cholesterol

currently TTC for #2

super sensitive baby tummy!

Postby celticepona » Sat May 22, 2004 08:01 am

My little angel, Emily, has formula allergies. We started her on Enfamil lipil in the hospital, and she seemed to do fine for a few weeks, then her stool got very soft and she became colicky. Her doctor switched her to soy. HEr stools started to form, and then a week later, they were liquid. Now we are on Enfamil Nutramigen, hoping that she will be able to adjust to this. I had the same formula allergies when I was a baby, and my mom put me on Similac, but even that bothers her. What I can't believe is how much that formula costs!!!! 23 dollars for a 1lb can of powder! My little one is a bottomless pit, so we will go through that in no time! I wonder if there is anyone I could complain to about the outrageous cost of formula!
Also, I have checked myself at 7 weeks postpartum, and I still have colostrum!!! Is that normal? I considered trying to get my milk going and bottlefeeding her breastmilk, but at my checkup yesterday at my doctors they said I was still preeclampsic,and they want to keep me on my meds, altace, norvasc, celexa, and diuretic. I am afraid to switch to meds that would be considered safe for breastfeeding because the combo I am on now is working at keeping my bp under control, and my bp did not go down until I went on the altace, even while taking the norvasc alone.

My poor baby, maybe I can still try to express milk and thow it away until I am weaned off my meds, but god knows when that will be! Also, I tried expressing the colostrum to get my milk going, and it was extremely painful! That was two days ago and my nipples are still that normal? I know this is long but I have alot on my mind!!!!

Return to “After your baby is born .....”