Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Hit by suspected swine flu

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

Hit by suspected swine flu

Postby missgamecock » Wed Sep 30, 2009 09:11 pm

by missgamecock (6064 Posts), Wed Sep 30, 2009 09:11 pm

Let me tell you, it SUCKS. I got sick on Monday morning. Had a fever. Called my dr and she said probably the flu and go home. Worked half day and came home and passed out. That night no fever. The next morning no fever. So I thought I was in the clear. Worked half a day again. It's end of fiscal year. I wanted to make sure one of our hospitals had a contract in place because they are reconstructing the dept. I get everything taken care of. Contractor is happy. Dept is happy. Legal is happy. Get home and I am running a temp again of 99.6 on tylenol AND motrin. Seriously? Go to bed and pass out. Wake up this morning and running a 101. Call work and say I am out the next two days. I have Friday off (every other friday off). Oh and did I mention my dh left this morning at 4 am for a business trip and won't return till late Sunday night?

Take the girls to school and daycare. Knock on wood they are all fine. Use sanitizer and soap and water like crazy for the last few days. Especially when touching one of them. Call the dr. Get in because my asthma is acting up with it. She says oh you have the flu. By the way, everyone I have tested has been positive for swine flu. So they test me. Not a fun procedure. They stick a cotton swab up to your brain practically.It takes a week to get the results for swine flu. Rapid flu test will be back tomorrow. Come home and pass out again.

Only to be woken up by my boss that my contract has hit the skids because the contractor thinks his start date is an option! Oh and I gave her the bad news that I have suspected swine flu. Fabulous. Now employee health has to be involved because I work in a hospital. I am sure the Medical Director is all pleased right now and can only imagine what is going on. So I won't be going in to work anytime soon. I have a hopeful return date of 10/5, ONLY if I am fever free for 24 hours with NO meds. I can't cheat with Tylenol and motrin. I told my boss how to deal with Mr. contract guy. That made me mad because I came in to make sure everything was a go and out of the blue he says he can't perform the contract till a week later. Hello we need it on the date contracted NOT a week later. It's not an option. We run a hospital here. AGgggh. I did like that my boss called me and asked my opinion as what to do. It made me feel like one of the team. One of the reasons I love my new job so much.

On top of it, I am PRAYING that none of the kids get it, especially Cate. I have been super careful and wash my hands and use sanitizer anytime I touch her. I keep checking her for a temp. The dr said if she runs a temp to bring her in immediately. So far, so good. Oh and dh freaked out when I told him on the phone and wanted to run to the nearest ER for a swine flu shot (also not the fact that the ER staff would have died laughing at him). I had to tell him they were not out yet.

I had to cancel my PT appts and my ortho appts this week. I can't get the regular flu shot that I am scheduled for tomorrow. The girls still can get theirs. She told me to get mine when Cate comes in for her second flu shot (babies get the flu shot twice). So I won't be able to go first tomorrow to show them it is no big deal.

The good news is the dr said I won't have to get the swine flu shot now as I would have "immunity".
missgamecock

Re : Hit by suspected swine flu

Postby missgamecock » Wed Sep 30, 2009 09:17 pm

by missgamecock (6064 Posts), Wed Sep 30, 2009 09:17 pm

Any ideas on disinfecting the house? I plan on washing all linens tomorrow and spraying what I can with Lysol (couch, chairs, bathroom, etc) - yeah I know I shouldn't be doing it while sick. Will hot water in the wash and dryer heat be enough to kill any germs?
missgamecock

Postby tree » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:40 pm

by tree (819 Posts), Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:40 pm

I am pretty sure that H1N1 doesn't require any special sanitation measures. We have a terrible cold, thought it was the flu for a day, and I am on a new sterilization kick. Proper handwashing and not touching your face work for adults. I have added wiping down any commonly touched things like faucets, toilet flusher, some door handles, phone, TV remote, trash can lid, etc with disinfectant wipes after dinner. Regular laundry should kill bugs pretty well, add bleach if you get nervous about it. If one of us gets the flu, I am going to have little things of hand sanitizer next to every box of tissues and wipe things down more often. I will also find out what the day care uses for quick toy cleaning (prob. dilute bleach and water) and wash her toys often.
I hope you feel better soon! I find it very amusing that your DH first thought to get a shot rather than come home and help out... men...
tree
Forum Moderator

Postby ladybug76135 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:51 pm

by ladybug76135 (599 Posts), Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:51 pm

What are you wiping down with? Sounds like you're doing every right as far as disinfecting. The biggest problem is that you've been shedding the virus for probably 48 hours or more before getting sick. I pray the kids don't get it. You might call and see what their doc thinks about Tamiflu as a prophylaxis especially since all of your girls have asthma if I remember correctly. This virus is being particularly hard on kids.

Take Care!
ladybug76135

Postby tree » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:36 pm

by tree (819 Posts), Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:36 pm

I am using Clorox disinfectant wipes, but any disinfectant wipe would work.
tree
Forum Moderator

Postby missgamecock » Thu Oct 01, 2009 01:04 am

by missgamecock (6064 Posts), Thu Oct 01, 2009 01:04 am

I have been using clorox wipes. There is hand sanitizer EVERYWHERE. I have it in the car, in all rooms of the house. I am usually a nut about it anyway. I even hit the expensive grocery store where they have the disinfectant sheets to wipe down carts. I did go twice and did not wipe the carts when I used it. Same with the gas pumps. Still plan to wash everything to get rid of the ick and spray everything though just in case. It's supposed to warm up this weekend and I plan on airing out the house.

Dr says they are already exposed. If they start running a fever bring them in immediately, especially Cate.

Dh is freaked because he works at a college. You would think he would have come home. Then he had the nerve to complain he was in BOQ (bachelor officer quaters) quarters for his hotel arrangement.
missgamecock

Postby mnmom » Thu Oct 01, 2009 06:09 am

by mnmom (1419 Posts), Thu Oct 01, 2009 06:09 am

Sanitizing is good, I think simply because it makes mommys feel better to do something. If it is "the flu" it is mainly airborne and unless you quit breathing, there isn't much you can do to stop the spread. I am surprised the doc wants you to bring the girls in. Not that they shouldn't get the shot, but to have you in the clinic, with other sick and immune suppressed people to expose. Our clinic doesn't want you in, to test or not, at all, unless your symptoms require it. DH has had some type of flu/cold thing all week. (And I have been crazy in cleaning and sanitizing also :) I work in a security prison and we have our first unconfirmed cases this week-they are testing them, so we should know more next week. I am trying desperately to pump the kids with healthy foods and vitamins, and get them 10-12 hrs of sleep. If we get it before the shot comes out, which is likely, I want them the picture of health prior!! Take care. Spring is only, like 7 months away.....
mnmom
Forum Moderator

Postby hols537 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 07:14 am

by hols537 (1031 Posts), Thu Oct 01, 2009 07:14 am

I hope you feel better quickly!

You should be good with Lysol. Here is the EPA list of products that kill H1N1. http://www.epa.gov/oppad001/influenza-disinfectants.html
hols537

Postby jmom08 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 08:22 am

by jmom08 (486 Posts), Thu Oct 01, 2009 08:22 am

Oh no, I hope you are better ASAP!!
The allergist/immunologist my son just started seeing (sigh) has a note posted on his website saying that patients who've had swine flu should still get the vaccine. I know your doc said it's OK but thought I should post just in case!
Hugs & good luck keeping your family healthy!!
jmom08

Postby tree » Thu Oct 01, 2009 07:31 pm

by tree (819 Posts), Thu Oct 01, 2009 07:31 pm

One of my friends was told that she would come down with it in 1-3 days if she was going to get it from her roommate. At least you should know pretty quickly if the kids are going to get it. Feel better, and good luck keeping them healthy.
tree
Forum Moderator

Return to After your baby is born .....