Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Hiney Welts

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

Hiney Welts

Postby kara » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:23 pm

by kara (6614 Posts), Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:23 pm

Ok, here's a bizarre one. DD woke up with "mosquito bites" on her legs complaining of itching. When I stripped off her PJ's she had welts all over her lower hiney and backs of her thighs, and red dots on the backs of her arms and face. She also had a stuffy/crusty nose.

Pedi says give her benadryl, which I did. The welts moved around from one area to another and Avery comlplained that her knee and elbow hurt. Benadryl did the trick, and I gave her a second dose before bed, but all the welts went away after the first dose.

Pedi guessed it was a virus, but it was here and then gone in the same day.

Anyone else?
kara
Forum Moderator

Re : Hiney Welts

Postby heather j » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:43 pm

by heather j (4882 Posts), Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:43 pm

It sounds like an allergic reaction, at least it sounds like the kind of allergic reactions we've been having around here. Nicolas breaks out in welts when he comes in contact with dog saliva (our dogs can't keep their tongues to themselves!). He gets them in places that haven't had contact with the allergen though. He'll get them on his arms, face, etc. This also sounds like what I kept having pop up on my face in response to something (still don't know what, exactly, because it's seemingly so random). In our experience, if it's a reaction to something - like contact dermatitis - you'll see it again. As long as she's comfortable now, though, I'd just be glad it's gone!

ETA: just remembered Ella had a reaction like that last year at the beach. She had strange welts and raised spots pop up on her arms and legs; we gave her benedryl, it went away, then the next day it was back. This went on until we came back home so we figured it had something to do with the linens, but still don't know for sure.
heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Fri Oct 02, 2009 01:00 am

by kara (6614 Posts), Fri Oct 02, 2009 01:00 am

We retraced our steps, our food intake, places we went.... Nothing was out of the ordinary. And even weirder that she didn't have it when she went to bed, but did when she woke up.

Hopefully it stays away.
kara
Forum Moderator

Postby hols537 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 06:49 am

by hols537 (1031 Posts), Fri Oct 02, 2009 06:49 am

Alexander gets things like that. Random spots that appear and then disappear with Benadryl. He doesn't experience "itching" yet (bizarre, I know), so when he gets spots they never bother him. They often appear after he's been in bed (particularly at naptime) and definitely not mosquito bites (he swells huge with those). I've never taken him in when it's happened because they disappear so quickly and are never associated with fever or major discomfort. He has sensitive skin though...maybe a detergent change? Nerves from the impending move?
hols537

Postby rebeccac » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:22 pm

by rebeccac (761 Posts), Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:22 pm

Just a wild thought...since you moved recently maybe it's something related to your new surroundings (assuming it wasn't a virus)?
rebeccac

Postby mellybute » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:17 am

by mellybute (425 Posts), Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:17 am

My son is allergic to peanuts, eggs, and cats. Along with mold, and outside stuff. When he has a reaction, it appears as raised hives (welts) and can appear anywhere on his body. He's even had them in his ears and on his head.

He has the epipen jr. of course, but we use Benadryl as well. What you are describing definitely sounds like am allergic reaction.
mellybute

Postby jmom08 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 06:38 pm

by jmom08 (486 Posts), Mon Nov 02, 2009 06:38 pm

We had something similar happen when DS was two, and we never found out what it was -- he had raspberries for (we think) the first time the day before, so the pediatrician thought it might be an allergic reaction, but he's had them since with no problem.
Poor Avery, I hope she's better now!
jmom08

Postby pld0804 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 09:41 pm

by pld0804 (203 Posts), Tue Nov 10, 2009 09:41 pm

We have had the same experience with Holly. She regularly gets hives. Since the age of one until now (she's almost 3), she has probably had them about 20 times. They usually come on fairly quickly, starting on her limbs and move to her torso and face and cover alot of skin. As they disappear, new ones appear. And the whole process lasts 2 or 3 days each time. Benedryl has always been the treatment. We took her to emergency once when the hives on her face were making the area around her eyes puffy. Not knowing if it was a virus or allergy, we tried to figure out what was triggering the reaction and never come up with anything. Many times a cold followed the hives, but not always. We did see an allergist and after evaluating her and seeing pictures of her with the hives, he concluded she had chronic hives (there is a much longer scientific name!), unrelated to an allergy. He said that most often this occurs in younger children and they typically grow out of it. They don't seem to bother her, so we're just hoping that she grows out of them and will continue to use Benedryl.

Hopefully that's the last you'll see of them with Avery.
pld0804

Postby kathyc » Sat Dec 12, 2009 08:51 pm

by kathyc (1114 Posts), Sat Dec 12, 2009 08:51 pm

Two of my kids get those welts occasionally. Their doc says it's hives and that just about anything can trigger them. Benadryl usually knocks them right out though sometimes it takes 2 or 3 doses to get rid of them for good. Once, my oldest had them and they just kept coming back every time the medicine wore off, so they put her on prescription allergy medicine for a few weeks.

Hopefully, they won't be back to bother your DD.
kathyc

Return to After your baby is born .....