Infant Kidney Infection

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

Infant Kidney Infection

Postby tree » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:55 am

The little peanut had her first trip to the Children's Hospital Urgent Care last night. As much as I hated having her around a bunch of kids with flu, something wasn't right. She has had a fever for at least a week (regularly consulting her doctor on that one) and was breathing very rapidly. We took her in, and they diagnosed the kidney infection. She got IV meds last night, and will get another dose this morning. The nurse got her IV started in her hand, so we decided to leave it in for today. I could stand that IV, but not if they start another one in her head. That freaks me out and reminds me way too much of the NICU. I think one of the first times I saw her, she had one in her head. childish or not, I can't deal with that again.
We got lucky, and they let her come home last night. Hopefully, all goes well at her appointment today, and they let her stay home. There are worse things than having a child hospitalized, but I still don't want to deal with it.
tree
Forum Moderator

Re : Infant Kidney Infection

Postby amanda » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:35 am

Oh goodness! I hope that your peanut does well today and that the meds do the trick! Your feelings are completely justified though - it hasn't been long since your little one was NICU bound.

I hope Mary Beth is home tonight and this is behind you!
amanda
Forum Moderator

Postby tree » Wed Oct 07, 2009 09:37 pm

Thanks Amanda. She is better today, and her doctor thought she looked very good. I think the meds must be helping since she is a different baby this afternoon.
We go in for a recheck tomorrow, and we should have her labs back on Friday. As much as I don't want to confirm a kidney infection, at least we would know what is going on...
tree
Forum Moderator

Postby sonja » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:35 am

I am so glad that your little one is feeling better - it is so awful to have them down.

Good luck with the labs - it is always nice to have answers.
sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby tree » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:21 pm

Her labs confirmed the infection. She is doing pretty well on Suprax, and he said the tummy troubles are normal with that stuff. We were very happy to hear that her preliminary blood culture results are clean. Yay! We will keep our fingers crossed that she tolerates the meds and then get the radiology studies scheduled.
tree
Forum Moderator

Return to After your baby is born .....