need advice

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

need advice

Postby cheleandcallidora » Thu Oct 08, 2009 01:52 pm

I have been so stressed lately! My little guy has been having daily bilirubin checks and we just can't get it to come down. It got really high and we started him on home light therapy with no results so they admitted him to the hospital for more intensive light therapy. While we were there he had problems breathing. He has an irregular pattern and his O2 kept dropping to 80. They gave him an IV and O2 and 3 days of 24hr light therapy. His bilirubin came down but after going home started going back up. It is at 14.8 right now. That is way lower than it was but it is slowly going back up.

Since we left the hospital I feel like my milk supply is not where it needs to be. I have tried pumping as much as I can but it just doesn't work for me. I can never get more than a half oz and that is from both sides. I know there is more in there because I can go to feed him after pumping and I have tons. When it comes to him I have overactive letdown.

To make things even better Asher got thrush and gave it to me. They gave us nystatin and his cleared up but mine is getting worse. I am in so much pain now that I sometimes cry when I first start. It hurts all the time and I am starting to bleed. I just don't know what to do!

So I am wondering:
1. Has anyone else had problems with bad jaundice that just won't go away, and is there anything that helped?
2. Any advice on getting the pumping to work for me?
3. What else can I do about the thrush?
Any advice or shared stories would be greatly appreciated!
cheleandcallidora

Re : need advice

Postby mellybute » Thu Oct 08, 2009 04:47 pm

My first son (now 3 1/2) had jaundice for 10 weeks. Don't how old your baby is now. I had to take him in every week for blood tests. His levels went down but slowly over time. I think they call it physilogical jaundice or something like that. He did not have to be under the lights, but at home I put him near the windows if he was in his bouncer or swing. I wish I could remember his levels but I can't, it's been too long.

As far as pumping, I was never successful at it. It tried and tried and had the most expensive pump you could get. I did take Funegreek (herbal supplement recommended by pediatrician) and it did help my supply. But I gave up on pumping. It was too stressful for me. I have a lot of friends that did it so easily. I don't know what my probelm was. My son never took a bottle of paci and it took me 2 years to wean him completely - LOL.

I wish you luck with the pumping!! I hope it gets better for you!!
mellybute

Postby sonja » Thu Oct 08, 2009 06:38 pm

I would consider seeing a lactation consulatant to see what they can suggest to increase your milk supply. A hospital grade pump did wonders for me. I was also put on some meds that seemed to really help my supply go up.

I hope that it gets better soon.
sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Thu Oct 08, 2009 06:55 pm

With the jaundice, the phototherapy is really important. There's a link between prematurity and jaundice, but I'm not sure if there's a link between preeclampsia itself and jaundice. I don't think there's anything else that speeds clearing, other than time.

I never let down for a pump either, and I had a Medela Lactina. IBCLCs were able to help me get things going a bit better, but they also said I had a pretty early case of pump resistance. I'd definitely talk to them -- there might be an IBCLC at your hospital.

And thrush -- all I can say is ouch, but I hope someone's got some useful advice! It doesn't make sense to me that his would clear and yours wouldn't; maybe his latch is off too?

Hang in there; I hope it gets sorted out soon. ((hugs))
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby tree » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:29 pm

Call a lactation consultant now. Thrush can mess up your supply, and it is supposed to be easily recovered if you treat it fast enough. I am sorry you have to deal with this.

There are not enough swear words in all of the languages on earth to describe thrush. You need to call your OB and get a scrip for diflucan. Ask for the heavy loading on the first dose and beg for 10 days. They usually only want to give you 3 or 5 days. 10 will work. Most lactation consultants recommend something called All Purpose Nipple Ointment (google it) from Jack Neuman's website. You will need to have it made at a compounding pharmacy. Lotramin AF cream worked well for me since I didn't feel well enough to track a pharmacy down.

In the meantime, boil everything that has contact with his mouth or your boobs at least daily. Do this until you are sure it is gone. If you have to pump, lube up the pump shells with nipple lanolin. It makes it less irritating. Use nipple shields when the pain gets unbearable. Boil stuff in vinegar sometimes. Throw it all out when you think you are free of the thrush. Keep treating him until your thrush is gone.
tree
Forum Moderator

Postby mnmom » Fri Oct 09, 2009 07:38 am

My youngest had these issues, and even the hospital pump didn't work well for me. We did supplement with formula for about the first six weeks. I know that I was lucky-he had no problem transitioning from breast to bottle, and it did help.
mnmom
Forum Moderator

Postby cheleandcallidora » Fri Oct 09, 2009 01:04 pm

Thank you all so much for the advice! Asher is 3 weeks today and I am pretty sure the thrush started in week one. I have been in so much pain and no one would listen. I talked to Dr.s nurses and 4 lactation consultants and they all said it just takes time to adjust. I couldn't figure out what was going on until I saw the white patches on his lips. By yesterday I was in so much pain all the time that I didn't think I could continue to breast feed. I spent hours looking for advice online and found a miracle cure. Grapefruit seed extract. I took two capsules and feel tons better. I still hurt but it is tolerable now. The other nice thing about it is it is supposed to give baby's immune system a boost. I also have an appointment on Mon with my OB. His office is now closed and Mon is his first day at the new one.

I tried so many things to get pumping to work for me with my DD. I think I am just out of luck there :( Oh well.

Asher had another bili check today so lets hope it went down. He looked more yellow today though so I expect his Dr. to call saying it went up again. My fingers are crossed!
cheleandcallidora

Postby patty » Fri Oct 09, 2009 03:15 pm

Did he have the ABO type of jaudice? Sylvia and she had to come home on double bili lights and we were still having to do blood draws at like 6 weeks out. So it is frustrating but it really does take time. The best thing to do besides the photo theraphy is to get them in some direct sunlight. You also have to make sure they are staying hydrated wake them up to eat if necessary. If you have an overactive letdown then you should have enough milk as pumping is not always reflective of your supply. You could try gentian violet for the thrush I have heard it works wonders. Good luck.
patty

Postby milesymommy » Sat Oct 10, 2009 05:46 pm

Each day older the baby, the high threshold they have for bili, so the number may seem high but it isn't for the age. My first son had severe jaundice, had to be hospitalized, IV, blue lights... and still after he was a yellow baby for a while. I kept asking about it and was told by multiple doctors the same thing - it takes a while for the bili to flush out, and there is higher tolerance day by day. I had to supplement with him; my milk supply was never good enough, even pumping like crazy. Used the hospital pump, manual pump (avent I think), then medela pump-in-style. Also, to echo what Patty said - wake him up to feed. My first son would gladly sleep through the night at 3 days old - I had to set my alarm to wake up every two hours to feed him for weeks. I was told later that babies that are born on the edge of full term aren't the best eaters. Now I have too much milk for #2. Now with my newborn son, my milk gushes out too fast and he chokes. Go figure, if its not one thing its another.
milesymommy

Postby cheleandcallidora » Sun Oct 11, 2009 03:19 pm

We thought he had the ABO incompatibility but they tested his cord blood and we are both O. We don't know why it has been taking so long to clear up. I feed him every 3 hrs at night and at times during the day every hour. He is a great eater and has been gaining about 2 oz a day. I know he is well hydrated. We have tons of wet diapers. Just as many if not more than when we were in the hospital and he had his IV. I think his liver is just having a hard time keeping up. I am happy to be out of the hospital. The IV, lights, oxygen, eye covers... all got to be a bit much. I do wish they would have kept him on the light therapy at home though. They told me they consider them to be good once they leave the hospital but his levels went back up. I just feel bad constantly bringing him in to get bili checks and I really don't want to go back to the hospital. It also makes me really uncomfortable to sit in a lab waiting room with a new baby and all the people in masks. I am more than ready to be done with all of this.

I agree with the comment above from Tree:
There are not enough swear words in all of the languages on earth to describe thrush.

I can't wait for it to be gone. I do have to say, if this is all I have to deal with to have my son here with me I would do it a million times over. I feel guilty complaining about anything! I am so lucky he is here and safe. Sorry! Thanks for all the input and suggestions everyone I really appreciate it!
cheleandcallidora

Return to After your baby is born .....