Know why I was sick, UPDATE. You won't believe it!

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

Know why I was sick, UPDATE. You won't believe it!

Postby missgamecock » Tue Oct 13, 2009 07:47 am

So I was really sick over the weekend, malaise, fever, chills, and serious right sided back pain. I was going to try and suck it up and wait and see my pcp on Monday. Sunday night, I couldn't take the nausea and pain anymore. Even on 10mg lortab which should have knocked me flat, I was in serious pain. So I went to the ER thinking I had a kidney infection. They gave me a shot of compazene and toradol. Which did NOTHING. I sat 4 hours in extreme pain. I was quite irritated to say the least. They ran my blood work. Nothing. It was perfect. My urine was perfect. So as a last ditch thing, they decided to run a cat scan to see if I had a stone. There it was....

MY IUD HAD PERFORATED THE UTERUS AND WAS FOUND FLOATING IN MY ABDOMINAL CAVITY!!!!!!!

They immediately called my obgyn who didn't even give me a chance to negotiate, I was staying and being admitted for emergency surgery. Smart guy. The nurses were so awesome on the floor. My bp went NUTS. It was 180/100!!!!! Which my ob was flipping about because I had not had bps that high since pregnancy. They said even though I didn't look like I was flipping, I was. I was in shock! I had the flu symptoms. I never had the abdominal pain. It was all in my back. So they admitted me to med surg (thank goodness and not maternity where they usually do this). I was the youngest patient on the floor. My ob came in and talked with me for awhile. He said it was a good thing I came into the ER and didn't suck it up and see my pcp. This would have been treated as a kidney infection with my pcp. He said that when she started reading my symptoms off to him, he immediately thought stone or infection too and why were they calling him. Till they told him oh by the way, her IUD has gone rogue.

So they admitted me. He came in and told me what the plan was. Mondays are surgery day for him anyway, I was expected to go in the early afternoon because I was an add on. Someone didn't show up so I went to surgery at 1030am. Surgery went well. The worst part is I am such a puker with general surgery. They had me drinking a ton before they realized I had a missing IUD. So I was sick as a dog after surgery. I didn't eat but they let me go. I went home around 2 pm. My fil brought me car home from the hospital. It was wild.

As far as the IUD and my endometriosis. The plan is to do continuous bcp and take a progesterone additive every day. If it is prometrium, then my ob has to get permission from the insurance company to do 30 days a month because they only allow 21 days a month. The other option is some acetate one that he said he has had good experience with. He said the key is I need a LOT of progesteone. My uterus has not been getting it. Which explains why the bleeding was so clotty and painful the last time. Everyone is like this would only happen to you, lol. One of the recovery room nurses was like what the heck are you doing here. I said Stac, I couldn't make this up if I tried. My ob said this is only the second time in his career he has gone fishing for an IUD. No I am no longer a candidate for it. He said I can't have it replaced which is why we are scrambling for what to do. I do have to say I feel much better and better than I have in a month. The nurse after surgery asked me about pain and I was like very little. She said it must have been referred pain from the IUD.
missgamecock

Re : Know why I was sick, UPDATE. You won't believe it!

Postby sonja » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:46 am

I am so glad that you went in. I hope that you are out of pain soon.

Take care.
sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby hols537 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:07 am

Wow! Glad you're feeling better.
hols537

Postby joker » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:18 am

OMG! I hope you are feeling better soon!
joker

Postby keneke68 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 01:29 pm

OMG Sabrina it could only happen to you. My goodness what a mess. Im glad you went in!! I hope you start feeling better soon. (((HUGS)))
keneke68

Postby missgamecock » Tue Oct 13, 2009 05:57 pm

Kind of what my ob said and my friend in the OR. I am still in shock. It was only by chance that a cat scan was done. I was trying to let it go till Monday. Glad I didn't!
missgamecock

Postby sarab » Tue Oct 13, 2009 07:05 pm

Wow, Sabrina! So glad you got it taken care of.
sarab
Site Admin

Postby mikeys mom » Tue Oct 13, 2009 07:49 pm

Denise echoed my thoughts exactly!
mikeys mom

Postby sam » Tue Oct 13, 2009 08:12 pm

no wonder you felt so rough, you poor thing!! get well soon
sam

Postby tree » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:38 pm

wow. I hope you are feeling much better soon.
tree
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to After your baby is born .....