Post Reply FAQ Members Login

over stuffing face

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

over stuffing face

Postby mommiesangel » Wed Oct 14, 2009 03:05 pm

Gabrielle has this thing about over stuffing her face when she eats. It doesn't matter what it is she will stuff it all in and than store it in her cheeks and than chew it up. Luckly we have never had a chocking issue (knock on wood). We been putting things in her plate in smaller poritons but she still stuffs everything in her mouth. Is this very common for a 2 yr old to do? Is there anything we can do to stop her from doing this? If we take away any food she has a fit and will cry till she gets more. We haven't given in yet and don't plan to till she stops this.
mommiesangel

Re : over stuffing face

Postby sonja » Wed Oct 14, 2009 03:47 pm

I have a friend whose son used to store meat in his cheeks and she would find him chewing on it WAY after dinner.

I would stick with the smaller portions and just focusing on using manners by taking small bites, but not making a big deal out of it - you don't want a food problem in the future.
sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Wed Oct 14, 2009 04:43 pm

Uh, yeah. A year or so ago, when Ella was somewhere between 18 and 24 months, she'd hide food in her cheeks, behind her molars, for HOURS. We'd eaten a late afternoon dinner and had gone shopping. I was talking to one of the sales associates who was a former coworker and noticed that Ella is smacking away at something. We'd eaten at least two hours prior to this, so I was curious what it was. I pried her mouth open (because she didn't want to give it up), and it was a disgusting, bleached-out chunk of shrimp. Blerg.

She doesn't pack her mouth anymore for hybernation, so there is hope for Gabrielle. FWIW, that incident was not her last mouth-packing event, but we never made it an issue and she did stop. Eventually.
heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby joannek » Wed Oct 14, 2009 05:27 pm

Sara does this too. Out of sight, out of mind works pretty well. Keep the supply of food hidden and just give her a little bit at a time.
Seems like there is always something that I can't wait til she outgrows. This is the current thing. When will she eat like a normal person?!?! I feel like I shouldn't have to still be supervising the feedings as closely as I do. Argh!
joannek

Postby sheri-ct » Wed Oct 14, 2009 06:15 pm

Has she ever been tested for sensory issues? My DS does the same thing due to sensory issues (common with preemies). We massage his face with lotion before the eats and it seems to help. We also let him hold cold things to his face and he has a jiggler that he puts in his mouth.
sheri-ct
Forum Moderator

Postby hols537 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 07:02 am

Alexander does that on and off (he started around 1). I find that if he has to take bites off something, he's more likely to chew his food. I would also make him open to show me that he was empty before I would give him more of anything. I once found nearly half a hot dog in his mouth when I was putting him to bed (he had hot dog for dinner). He's getting better now though and I also try not to make a big deal of it. I tell him, matter-of-factly, that he needs to chew and swallow before he can talk, leave the table or have more.
hols537

Postby mother bear » Thu Oct 15, 2009 09:54 am

As far as I know, all kids go through that phase. Some are good about it and seem to learn eventually to swallow before placing more food in the mouth on their own, but some who have gagging/puking issues are not so good about it and have to be taught.

It's kind of impressive how much food can fit into a little mouth! And just how long afterwords they can still be happily chewing away at that little piece of meat.
mother bear

Postby season » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:37 am

Most likely it's normal. As some said it could be sensory though. I've known lots of toddlers that do it though.

We would say to our kids to put the food in their tummy before putting more in their mouth.

I definitely would not remove food from her plate. That will make her try to shove it in faster (before you take it.) Just give her small portions and offer more once she has swallowed all of the first round.

Are you guys sitting with her and also eating at the same time? it really helps kids to see others eat. Taking one bite at a time, using a fork etc.
season
Forum Moderator

Postby mother bear » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:16 am

Around here, we consider it a good sign, actually. <grumbles quietly to self about first kid never wanting to eat>
mother bear

Postby mommiesangel » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:56 am

Thanks for making us feel better everyone! We def do sit with her and eat our food so she sees how we eat and drink.

Sheri~She has never been tested for sensery issues but am wondering if she does have some issues because she doesn't enjoy eatting cereal with milk in it. We poor just a tiny bit in a bowl with her cherrio's and she will manover the spoon so as not to get any milk on the spoon and will than eat it. If she does get milk on it she will make a horrible face and than say mommy milk on cereal. I tell its ok and it taste good. But than she goes right back to not trying to scoop the milk.
mommiesangel

Next

Return to After your baby is born .....