over stuffing face

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
heather j
Forum Moderator

Re : over stuffing face

Postby heather j » Wed Oct 14, 2009 04:43 pm

Uh, yeah. A year or so ago, when Ella was somewhere between 18 and 24 months, she'd hide food in her cheeks, behind her molars, for HOURS. We'd eaten a late afternoon dinner and had gone shopping. I was talking to one of the sales associates who was a former coworker and noticed that Ella is smacking away at something. We'd eaten at least two hours prior to this, so I was curious what it was. I pried her mouth open (because she didn't want to give it up), and it was a disgusting, bleached-out chunk of shrimp. Blerg.

She doesn't pack her mouth anymore for hybernation, so there is hope for Gabrielle. FWIW, that incident was not her last mouth-packing event, but we never made it an issue and she did stop. Eventually.

sonja
Forum Moderator

Re : over stuffing face

Postby sonja » Wed Oct 14, 2009 03:47 pm

I have a friend whose son used to store meat in his cheeks and she would find him chewing on it WAY after dinner.

I would stick with the smaller portions and just focusing on using manners by taking small bites, but not making a big deal out of it - you don't want a food problem in the future.

mommiesangel

over stuffing face

Postby mommiesangel » Wed Oct 14, 2009 03:05 pm

Gabrielle has this thing about over stuffing her face when she eats. It doesn't matter what it is she will stuff it all in and than store it in her cheeks and than chew it up. Luckly we have never had a chocking issue (knock on wood). We been putting things in her plate in smaller poritons but she still stuffs everything in her mouth. Is this very common for a 2 yr old to do? Is there anything we can do to stop her from doing this? If we take away any food she has a fit and will cry till she gets more. We haven't given in yet and don't plan to till she stops this.

Return to “After your baby is born .....”