Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Protein in urine postpartum

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

Protein in urine postpartum

Postby sandy » Tue Jun 01, 2004 01:11 pm

by sandy (1138 Posts), Tue Jun 01, 2004 01:11 pm

So back in March at approximately 9 months postpartum, my 24-hour urine test showed a protein level of 236.

When telling me the results, my OB said that it's not too concerning, and there isn't really anything I can do about it; it's most likely because of my chronic hypertension that I've had for at least 10 years.

At that time, we had nothing to compare it to.

Last night I was going through some old papers and having a shredding fest, and I came upon a "Urinalysis Screen" from about 7 months before I became pregnant, which was done at a different doctor's office (almost 2 years to the date between the 2 tests). I had it done because I was excited about TTC in the near future, and wanted to make sure all was well before trying, since I knew I had chronic hypertension and asthma.

On that sheet, it noted NO protein.

So 7 months before I became pregnant I had NO protein, and then 9 months postpartum, I had 236.

And that is a relatively low number. I could just forget about it. Or I could send it in to my Ob's office and ask that it be placed in my chart.

Has anyone had a similar experience, and the protein number eventually went down to 0 again?

~Sandy/DD born via emergency C at 35 wks/1 day June '03 due to Severe PE/class III HELLP

Risk factors: HBP/asthma/high cholesterol

currently TTC for #2
sandy

Re : Protein in urine postpartum

Postby ileana » Tue Jun 01, 2004 01:40 pm

by ileana (1010 Posts), Tue Jun 01, 2004 01:40 pm

Sandy,

My proteins were about the same. I saw a nephrologist and he had me take Atacand - HBP medication. After 3-4 months, 2 urine tests were negative (on a small sample not on a 24h), so I am prretty sure the medication worked to reduce the proteinuria.

Are you treated for HBP? There are two types of antihypertensives that also improve the proteinuria: ACE Inhibitors and ARB. From the nephrologist point of view a 222 wasn't that much of a problem (they are also looking at the creatinine clearance which they are using to calculate the kidney function, and for me that number was the same as it was before the pregnancy). But I wanted this solved before I'll TTC and also my BP was 130/90 in the office so I convinced him to give me the medication.

Ileana
IT Coordinator
Preeclampsia Foundation

Mother of Angel - stillborn on Feb 17, 2003 (24wGA, 410g)
ileana

Re : Protein in urine postpartum

Postby sandy » Tue Jun 01, 2004 02:24 pm

by sandy (1138 Posts), Tue Jun 01, 2004 02:24 pm

Hey, thanks for the information, Ileana! Interesting that we had such similar numbers.

I think it's a calcium-channel blocker I'm currently taking for HBP: Diltiazem. I remember the Peri saying that the CCB will "help to open the renal artery beds", so that it was a good one to be on while TTC. And since we didn't conceive this cycle, knowing that I was at 0 going into the pregnancy, it makes me pause to think what if we took a break from TTC and to see what I could do to get that 236 lowered.

Hm...

~Sandy/DD born via emergency C at 35 wks/1 day June '03 due to Severe PE/class III HELLP

Risk factors: HBP/asthma/high cholesterol

currently TTC for #2
sandy

Return to After your baby is born .....