Teeth and speech

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

Teeth and speech

Postby hols537 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:31 am

Or rather, lack of teeth... Jonathan (13 months) has only his 2 bottom teeth with no sign of the top ones coming soon. I have noticed he doesn't speak as clearly as Alexander did at the same age and I'm wondering if it has anything to do with him not having the top teeth. Anyone know how much of a role teeth have in proper speech?

I should add that I'm not exactly concerned about this, but trying to figure out when I should be.

Thanks!
hols537

Re : Teeth and speech

Postby kara » Tue Oct 27, 2009 02:55 pm

I haven't heard of any connection this early in life. Certainly as they get older teeth become more important with speech. Our DD didn't have even a single tooth until 12 months but was quite the gabber (still is!). Some kids don't speak until they are older, too.
kara
Forum Moderator

Postby hols537 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 03:02 pm

He actually talks a lot and has a lot of words (they just all sound the same LOL), but seems have more trouble with new sounds than I recall Alexander having. I know they're all different though...
hols537

Postby kara » Tue Oct 27, 2009 04:20 pm

I miss the baby talk. Now I just get back talk! :-) Avery's teeth finally decided to come in after 12 months. They came in groups...2 or more at a time. I wouldn't be too concerned for awhile yet. And have the baby tylenol ready for when they do crop up!
kara
Forum Moderator

Postby mnmom » Wed Oct 28, 2009 08:07 am

Jaden was a very slow teether. And, a slow talker. As the youngest of four, I think he just didn't feel the need. We did have him evaluated right before his second birthday and he did/does qualify for speech services, which have been wonderful. But, I would wait another six months or so, as long as he is attempting words and sounds(Jaden didn't) and as long as he doesn't all of a sudden stop trying. In some ways, I think the second child is more difficult to figure out than the first!
mnmom
Forum Moderator

Return to After your baby is born .....