shots and baby tears.... :(

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

shots and baby tears.... :(

Postby celticepona » Wed Jun 02, 2004 07:35 am

Em got her DT and three other vaccines this morning...and she screamed and cried with tears!!!!![:(] I cried right along with her!!!! Ugh, I know these shots are lifesavers...but does anyone else go to pieces when they see their babies in pain????

DD Emily born 4-01-04 at 37 weeks due to severe PE/Eclampsia. Currently postpartum.
preeclampsic/hyperreflexic. On medication.

http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/e/emilyfionaspage/
celticepona

Re : shots and baby tears.... :(

Postby tahoe4 » Wed Jun 02, 2004 08:20 am

Absolutely! Actually I can tolerate her crying during shots, but I had to watch her get 20 different x-rays of her body and a CT Scan when she was 9 months old. I had to leave the room during the CT Scan, because I couldn't bear to see her cry that hard...

Stephanie

Casey - DD born 12/25/02 at 6 weeks premature
Prego again! - EDD 6/18/04, but c-section date will be 6/4/04 at 38 weeks
tahoe4

Postby mom2gigi » Wed Jun 02, 2004 08:27 am

Yea, I can't say I'm too fond of having to hold my DD down to just look at me like "Why are you letting them stick me" with big croc tears coming down in pain with those shots. But it's worth the prevention.

Adriana

Giselle - born @ 35wks, from severe preeclampsia by emergency c-section.
mom2gigi

Postby paljane8 » Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:44 am

It is so hard with the first. I cried too. My worst loss of control experience was when Scotty was 4 days old. They were running tests for his kidneys and I sobbed uncontrollably all the way through!!!! I told the team of docs and nurses that it was ppd :).

Nancy Eastwood
Moderator/WA State Co-Coordinator

Calvin-8yrs
Saren-7yrs
Scott-4yrs (PE)
Janie-5/03 (PIH, oligo and low blood flow)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/4/4lbs/
paljane8

Postby sarab » Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:02 am

I know, it is the saddest thing to see our little ones in pain, but like Stephanie, I am ok with shots. The worst thing for me is eye exams. Maggie had a mild case of ROP, so we have to go back for follow-up every few months. When she was younger, they would hold her eyes open with clips [:0] -- it doesn't hurt, but she would scream because she couldn't close her eyes.

Stephanie, we have never had to have x-rays done until this past weekend, and I feel your pain! We took Maggie to the ER in the middle of the night because she had a high fever and her breathing was weird. She ended up needing a chest x-ray, and it was the most heart-wrenching thing I have ever seen. They sat her on this little seat (so she was sitting upright), pinned her arms above her head, and then strapped her in place. It doesn't hurt at all, but she was SCREAMING because she couldn't move. We had to go out of the room and watch through the little window, and she kept looking at us and crying. [V] It was AWFUL! I cannot even imagine what it must have been like for you to watch Casey get 20...

Sara, 23
Local Coordinator, Utah

DH, Scott, 26
Maggie Lylas, 6/9/03, 29 weeks, severe pre-e
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/m/maggielylas/
sarab
Site Admin

Postby annes » Thu Jun 03, 2004 05:25 am

I know how you feel, the nurse at my pediatricians office is really nice, but really slow[:(]. Most nurses have all the shots ready for both legs and they just go 1,2, it's over. This nurse did 1, then got everything ready and when he had just finished crying, she did #2. Poor thing he looked at me like I had betrayed him. It gets better though, I think the first round was really the hardest.

Anne
DH Richard
Parker 7/6/03(severe pe)33wks
annes
Forum Moderator

Postby kylesmom » Thu Jun 03, 2004 05:58 am

I think you are right... the first round of shots was the hardest. My dh had to hold him down, I couldn't even watch! I just whispered in his ear and rubbed his head and waited 'til it was over so I could nurse him back to happy again![:)] His 9 mo visit they said "no shots!" but they pricked his finger to test iron and lead and the guy didn't even interact with Kyle- just stabbed, squeezed and squeezed and squeezed while he screamed his head off. That was worse than any shot! I'm sorry for all of you who have had to endure much more than that though.

We have to have a consult with an opthamologist b/c he has a blocked tear duct and they may have to put him out to open it up! I'm feeling woozy already.[xx(] Has anybody had this issue?

Jennifer 32
Kyle born 8-13-03 @ 38 weeks (severe atypical Preeclampsia and Class I HELLP)
kylesmom

Postby paljane8 » Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:22 am

Hey Jennifer,

There was just a discussion on that very topic. Here is the link http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3116&SearchTerms=blocked,tear,duct

I hope it all turns out ok. Let us know what happens, ok?

Nancy Eastwood
Moderator/WA State Co-Coordinator

Calvin-8yrs
Saren-7yrs
Scott-4yrs (PE)
Janie-5/03 (PIH, oligo and low blood flow)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/4/4lbs/
paljane8

Postby kylesmom » Thu Jun 03, 2004 06:28 pm

Thanks Nancy! I just read the thread... I have been told that its a normal newborn thing and I have not been worried except for those few terrible mornings when his eye was glued shut and he was screaming! [:(] The ped told me that ophthamologists very in their approach... some wait until a year and some perform the procedure at 9 mos. I am still massaging the eye and he is finally letting me in there without swatting me away and screaming. We shall see. I am procrastinating making the appt for the consult... I gotta just do it.

Thanks again.

Jennifer 32
Kyle born 8-13-03 @ 38 weeks (severe atypical Preeclampsia and Class I HELLP)
kylesmom

Postby catherine » Thu Jun 03, 2004 07:43 pm

This is going to sound weird but I don't mind anymore when they cry....

Before you think that I'm some kind of weird sicko I think that this is a direct consequence of my preeclampsia experience and how I felt when Chloe got sick last summer. She had a fever of 102F at about a month old. I took her to the ER and they had to do a full workup and then 2 days of IV antibiotics to cover against a possible bacterial meningitis.

So, they don't allow parents in the room, or even in the treatment side of the ER for spinal taps, the chest x-ray where she looked like some kind of tiny "baby in a bottle" was bad but tolerable but the blood draw was just horrible and then they needed to get IV access to start the antibiotics. After my experience where needing a blood sample to decide what to do next was always followed by an hour or so of messing with my arms and legs to find somewhere that might yield enough blood....... I knew that there could be no forward progress until that butterfly needle was in a vein somewhere in her little body. I was so afraid that she might have an infection that I didn't care how many times they'd stick her, so long as they finally got those drugs running into her. Happily for us, she proved to have a virus and we were out of the hospital a couple of days later when her blood cultures came back negative.

Since then, vaccinations, blood draws.... I'm right in there helping to get them done. Such a transient moment of pain for such enormous benefit.

For those of you who haven't yet had the privilege of accompanying your 4 year old to his/her annual checkup and then [}:)]-Kindergarten Shots-[}:)].... now that makes you doubt your will!!! Finn screamed so loud that I thought the whole hospital could hear him. At that age they remember for ages and feel completely betrayed by you [B)].

Catherine
Mom to Finn, Lucy (preeclampsia and HELLP) and Chloe.
Moderator HELLP Syndrome Survivors
catherine
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to After your baby is born .....