Stopping BP meds.....yay! (and a question) Update

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

Stopping BP meds.....yay! (and a question) Update

Postby sheri-ct » Mon Nov 02, 2009 07:05 pm

I saw the NP today and I get to stop my meds! I was taking 60 mg of Procardia and she said that I can stop cold turkey. Does that sound right? I have to go back in 1.5 weeks for another BP check.

Sheri

I have been checking my bp at home and all pressures have been below 123/80. I went to the OB yesterday for my final check and the nurse got 120/90. I told her that I was very surprised b/c I am getting much lower readings at home, so she retook it and got 117/80. I have been offcially released! Yay! I am seeing my endo next week and she will also retake it just to make sure.

Sheri
sheri-ct
Forum Moderator

Re : Stopping BP meds.....yay! (and a question) Update

Postby sonja » Mon Nov 02, 2009 09:14 pm

I had to wean myself off of my meds, but I was on Atenolol.

Congratulations!!
sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:26 pm

I don't really know - I haven't ever been able to wean off anything!! But I *think* it's just beta blockers you have to wean off of.

But hey - CONGRATS!!! :)
trish
Forum Moderator

Postby rosalinda » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:37 pm

I was on 60mg Procardia for a while...but was weaned off 30mg (one pill) at a time. I thought weaning cold turkey might give you rebound hypertension, but I may be wrong.
rosalinda

Postby kdreher » Tue Nov 03, 2009 01:59 pm

I was on labetalol, benicar and one more and had to be weaned off the labetalol and the one I can't remember. I also know beta blockers should be weaned off of, but procardia may be ok. I know that is one bp med I can't take.
kdreher

Postby dbronson » Wed Nov 04, 2009 09:44 am

I'm with Trish,I think its just betablockers where you wean off, but I might wean anyway just to be safe. I won't hurt you yto take a half dose for a few days. IMHA of course.
YAY to no meds!
dbronson

Postby leeann34 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:04 am

How far how were any of you postpardom when the Drs. started weaning you off? I tried to get my doctor to go down on my labetol but she wouldn't. My BPs are pretty low for me right now and I would like to try and wean some of them off. How can I convince her otherwise? I am a nurse so it's not like I don't know what they are for and what my BP reading should be at. Any suggestions anyone? Maybe at my next check up which will be 9 mo postpardom she will reconsider. I hope anyway.

leeann34

Postby kdreher » Mon Nov 09, 2009 01:56 pm

Leann I was on labetolol and after a while I told the dr that it was killing my energy etc. I know he switched me off of that around 3 mos post partum. I know if breast feeding is involved it is one of the safer to be on. I am also seeing a nephrologist (bp doc) and not just a family dr or OB. I know my doc weaned me off it and started me on Benicar and it's great.
kdreher

Return to After your baby is born .....