Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Formula Issues

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

Formula Issues

Postby mommy2maddie » Thu Nov 05, 2009 04:40 pm

by mommy2maddie (147 Posts), Thu Nov 05, 2009 04:40 pm

My DS is spitting up alot on breastmilk from the bottle, so I decided to try formula just to see if it would help. He keeps the formula down but it makes his belly hurt, he seems to get gassy and cries. Is this normal to happen when you first switch to formula from breastmilk? Any suggestions on things I could do to help?
mommy2maddie

Re : Formula Issues

Postby kara » Thu Nov 05, 2009 05:16 pm

by kara (6614 Posts), Thu Nov 05, 2009 05:16 pm

Switch back to the breast milk if you can. Formula is not nearly as easily digested, and a cold turkey switch can cause lots of discomfort, constipation or diarrhea. If you want to switch to formula permanently, you should taper the introduction of the formula over a week or two...gradually decreasing the amount of BM, and increasing the amount of formula. Our daughter had a protein allergy, but the reaction to the formula was worse then the reaction to the BM.

If you want something to help with the reflux/spitting, talk to your pediatrician. Ours allowed us to thicken breast milk with baby rice cereal. It's a very small amount of cereal but it makes the milk "heavier" so it's harder to reflux.

Does he scream when he's spitting, or is he a happy spitter? If he's screaming then there are medications that can be considered that make a HUGE difference, and you can continue breastfeeding and supplying the immunities that they so need during cold and flu season. If he's a "happy spitter", I'd go back to the BM and just watch his weight gain. Often times they outgrow the happy spitting around 8 weeks old...some later.
kara
Forum Moderator

Postby sheri-ct » Thu Nov 05, 2009 08:44 pm

by sheri-ct (685 Posts), Thu Nov 05, 2009 08:44 pm

I agree with Kara, go back to BM (if possible). My DD has pretty bad reflux (twins had it, too) and I am starting her on Prevacid tomorrow. It made a huge difference with my twins and I'm praying it helps again this time. I would only use formula if she needed dairy-free.
sheri-ct
Forum Moderator

Postby milesymommy » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:10 am

by milesymommy (336 Posts), Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:10 am

I agree with the others. Also try mixing the BM and formula. There also may be a reason he spits up BM - maybe something in your diet. You should ask your ped. If you do formula, stick to diary unless your ped tells you otherwise. My first DS had issues with dairy so he was on soy (and I had to avoid dairy as well since I was breastfeeding him as well). I have always had to supplement BM with formula (just don't make enough), so with DS #2, I asked the ped if I should just use soy formula and not even try dairy. She told me to stick to dairy unless there are issues. The reason soy formulas state to ask a ped first is because soy proteins are not absorbed as well in infants as dairy protein is. DS #2 also had reflux, we are just taking him off Zantac at 9 weeks.
milesymommy

Postby kdreher » Mon Nov 09, 2009 02:00 pm

by kdreher (2482 Posts), Mon Nov 09, 2009 02:00 pm

What brand of formula are you using? When Michael started formula in the hospital, my breast milk literally dried up, he was on Enfamil Enfacare. You can get it at most stores and ask your pedi for samples as well. I got tons. It was easy for him to digest and he had NO issues. Around 7 mos we changed to Nestle because it was free at daycare. I gradually changed him over and he's been fine with this as well.
kdreher

Return to After your baby is born .....