Sensory therapy and listening

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

Sensory therapy and listening

Postby dja » Sun Nov 22, 2009 02:23 am

Hi there - I haven't posted for quite a while, but I have a question for moms who have kids with sensory problems. Has anyone done a listening program in conjunction with brushing/joing compressions, and other kinds of OT? If so, how long did you do it? We are doing a listening program with Malcolm, and I'm trying to compare notes with others that might be doing this.
dja

Re : Sensory therapy and listening

Postby kara » Mon Nov 23, 2009 00:37 am

I've heard about listening therapy, but haven't had any direct experience. Our DD does get overstimulated by sound. Are you doing the therapy at home with headphones? What type of SPD does he have?
kara
Forum Moderator

Postby julieb » Mon Nov 23, 2009 08:46 am

We just finished our listening therapy and we did it for about 14 weeks. Mason listened to the CDs for 30 minutes twice a day and we had 5 CDs that we went through. It was amazing for him and we noticed a lot of changes, actually his sensory OT said that his sensory issues are pretty much resolved and we only have one OT visit left!! :) We did brushing first for a few weeks and when we were finished with that his OT thought that he needed something more so we did the listening. We did not brush him while we were doing the listening but his OT said that was a possibility, he just responded so well to the listening that we didn't have to do it. I hope the listening works as well for you as it did for us. I thought it was a little crazy in the beginning but it totally works!
julieb

Postby hannahsmom » Mon Nov 23, 2009 09:34 am

We did it with Hannah when she was younger, but she hated it. I know it it can be successful, but we couldn't get Hannah to keep her headphones on :)
hannahsmom

Postby celticepona » Fri Dec 18, 2009 09:05 pm

I have never heard of listening therapy! What is it? Emily is sensory, although we don't do as much brushing anymore, mainly brushing on demand once in a while, although she still needs the pressure imput quite a bit still. Em is sensitive to loud sounds and has been enjoying walking around wearing my dad's old soundproof ear protectors. Where can I find info about listening therapy?
celticepona

Postby kara » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:31 pm

Amy,
I would start with the Occupational Therapist that you used to see. They would be the ones to help determine if it's needed, and get you set up.
kara
Forum Moderator

Return to After your baby is born .....