Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Early menopause? Could it be?

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

Early menopause? Could it be?

Postby jenn » Mon Nov 23, 2009 02:24 pm

The lowdown:
I'm making myself a gynnie appt. for curiosity if I'm experiencing early menopause. I've been having symptoms and I'm kinda' freaked out.
At 30 yrs old I have to think this is mental! But my recent frequent/intense hot flashes are getting to be ANNOYING - I found myself wandering about a Denver Target store stripping down to my cami this weekend trying to escape the overwhelming heat I was experiencing *blush*.
On top of it my periods are extra long and heavier than usual, not to mention erratic.
What gives?!
It is possible?

Thanks in advance for any insight!
Much love, Jenn
jenn
Forum Moderator

Re : Early menopause? Could it be?

Postby amanda » Mon Nov 23, 2009 02:59 pm

Did you have any type of infertility treatment? I ask because one of the side affects that I was told was that it could make me go into peri menopause quicker. Remember too that peri menopause lasts a really long time - like 5-7 years (woo hoo! isn't that a grand statement!). There are some other things (I think like thyroid conditions) that, I think can create some of the same symptoms.

Another important variable is when your mother went through it. Do you happen to know?
I SO do understand this - I'm dealing with the same thing too! Those hot flashes are the pits!
amanda
Forum Moderator

Postby hannahsmom » Mon Nov 23, 2009 03:55 pm

Did you have your tubes tied? I just had mine tied and then I was reading today on the internet that it could cause early menopause. I was NOT told that this was one of the side effects!!
hannahsmom

Postby caryn » Mon Nov 23, 2009 06:57 pm

Jenn -- thyroid stuff can mess with menstrual cycles. Has yours been checked lately?

(That new study has me leaping to guesses, lol!)
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby tree » Mon Nov 23, 2009 07:49 pm

seconding the suggestion to look into thyroid stuff. going hyperthyroid or having thyroiditis causes hot flashes and serious unpleasantness. I was ready to run around naked when mine was going nuts. Your OB can run the bloodwork as well as any doctor to check.
tree
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Mon Nov 23, 2009 09:49 pm

Thirding the suggestion to get your thyroid checked. The only women I know with wonky periods like you are describing have thyroid issues or PCOS or both.

You could also get your cortisol checked to rule out an adrenal problem like Cushing's (even though it is pretty rare).
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby jenn » Tue Nov 24, 2009 09:22 am

Thank ya' ladies!
Right after I posted this I thought to myself "they're gonna' think I'm nuts". Much to my surprise, quite the contrary. Thank you.
Answers for asked questions:
-family history of the "BIG END" is all normal
-Yes, I have had my tubes tied
-no I have not had my thyroid checked...hmmmmm!?
SO thyroid huh? wow! Easy enough to get that checked - right?! *slight sigh of relief*
Thanks again for not thinking I'm a nut-job. :o)
As soon as I get an appt. and know some more... I will share!

Much love, Jenn
jenn
Forum Moderator

Postby lynnekay » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:16 am

Jenn,

It does sound like peri-menopuase espc. w/ the heavy & longer periods. I went through this in my late 30's and it made me crazy when I would get such heavy periods. I did not get hot flashes though until I got closer to full menopause around 43. I also have Hashimotos Thyroid disease and that makes me cold instead of hot. So yep thyroid can mess with your internal temperture gauge, so get it checked!!!

When you get your hot flashes do they start in your chest area and move up to your head and your feel like your upper torso has a heat lamp blazing on it? After my hysterectomy I get them randomly throughout the day, the best advice I have gotten is to dress in layers (since I live in Colorado too!) I have had to strip down to a mini layer of clothing to get relief in a store. It also helps to use your shirts as a fan, grab the collor and fan away. If people stare I tell them that I am "low on estrogen and own a gun..." Just kidding but I would like to tell them that when they look at me like I am nuts for fanning myself when it is 15' degrees outside :-)

I hope you can get to the bottom of this. I would have a whole bloodwork run up of Thyroid & hormone levels...
lynnekay

Postby dbronson » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:26 am

This is sort of random, but my neice went through early menapause and they found that she and her sisters are Fragile X carriers. Fragile X causes autism in boy babies and other problems in women but not to that great of an extent as boys. Carriers show no signs except now they are finding it casues thyroid and early menstral issues.
Just thought i'd mention it.
dbronson

Postby jules2 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 04:40 pm

I was having really severe night sweats a few years ago, when I was a mere 34 years of age. It was not menopause (I have been pregnant several times since), but I did have very high levels of prolactin, for no particular reason. This resolved after a while without any treatment. Its worth getting prolactin levels checked as well as thyroid, apparently this is not rare. Although its never impossible, you are really really young to be going through peri-menopause, I reckon there's another explanation (disclaimer - I am not a doc).
jules2

Return to After your baby is born .....