Post Reply FAQ Members Login

1st Month Survival

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

1st Month Survival

Postby kbunsey » Sat Nov 28, 2009 08:20 pm

by kbunsey (895 Posts), Sat Nov 28, 2009 08:20 pm

Phew. We survived the first month. Feels like I barely survived. I'm a candidate for Postpartum Depression - I can feel it creeping around. I was really super blue and anxious the first week or so home - Worrying about everything from real big things like SIDS and going back to work to dumb little stuff like housework. And both my husband and I had this pervasive sadness about the other baby. It was weird how emotional we both were. And it is sort of lonely being a new mom at home.

Kyle is growing well. He was 9lbs2oz last week at the Lactation Boutique. Which has been a major source of craziness for me. I'm a good producer - plenty of milk. And the baby is a super sucker. We were doing really well until my hubby went back to work after 2 weeks at home. Kyle likes to arm wrestle at the breast and I was tired and alone and we had a few bad latches that resulted in a few nipple wounds and next thing I'm in bed, at some insane hour trying to feed the baby, crying that it hurts, I can't do it and my poor husband is staring at my like, "What do I do???" And I had a horrible time finding a good fitting bra and was buying all this crap online which wasn't helping to have poor fitting attire. Thankfully there is a lovely Lactation Consultant in my area who runs a boutique and a moms group and she helped fix me up w/ some appropriate attire, gelpacks, Neosporin, and Medela shields to help speed healing. The healing isn't going as fast as I'd like it to, but it is getting better. And we're getting back into the swing of good latches. My hubby and I started giving the baby bottles of breast milk during the night which is when I did a lot of damage previously. He feeds baby and I express more milk.

Other than that the sleep deprivation is crazy. My bp is fabulous. The baby is super cute. He's so good during baths and makes the sweetest little noises when he's waking. He cries a lot, but we're practicing all our "Happiest Baby" soothing techniques. I shooshed him SO loud today that I was lightheaded. The laundry never ends. His poos don't smell bad, but need hand scrubbed out of clothes and cloth diapers. I'm a leaky mess - I must change my clothes 3x a day and can't count how many times I leaked milk all over the baby while nursing. Poor baby. The weight really does come off and did I mention that the sleep deprivation is crazy?

I can't believe he's already a month old!
kbunsey

Re : 1st Month Survival

Postby jmom08 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 00:02 am

by jmom08 (486 Posts), Sun Nov 29, 2009 00:02 am

Congratulations on a month -- yay!! I am glad you are getting help from a lactation consultant. We had to do lots of scrubbing too (soaking in borax before putting in washer helped us get the spitup stink out of the baby laundry, if you run into that problem!). I hope you can get some sleep soon (haha right?). I promise it gets better, faster than it seems it will! :)
jmom08

Postby mellybute » Sun Nov 29, 2009 00:33 am

by mellybute (425 Posts), Sun Nov 29, 2009 00:33 am

Sounds like newborn baby stuff :-) All I can tell you is it definitely gets better!! Enjoy this time because it's gone in the blink of an eye :-)
mellybute

Postby aundapenner » Sun Nov 29, 2009 03:09 am

by aundapenner (1624 Posts), Sun Nov 29, 2009 03:09 am

(((Katie)))

Awesome that Kyle is doing so well. I'm ss to hear about your BFing. Are you seeing Pat as a LC? She helped us lots with Henry (I'm from the same area as you)and even gave me great support online when I had BFing issues with Sofia.

Please take PPD seriously. There are lots of medications you can take AND breastfeed. Please do not wait until things get really bad - it will make it that much harder to heal. (I am speaking from experience here - it was because I denied my PPD that I ended up with 8 weeks STD, then leaving my company and moving over here to Germany - I was in a horrible place that took a long time to get out).

And huge yay! for the BP!!!

(((hugs))) Be gentle with yourself and know that one day, sleep will be there again. At least that's what I keep telling myself. :)
aundapenner

Postby mnmom » Sun Nov 29, 2009 09:45 am

by mnmom (1419 Posts), Sun Nov 29, 2009 09:45 am

Katie, Great to hear from you! I promise that this newborn craziness will end, and the crazy thing is, you will probably miss it!! Take care.
mnmom
Forum Moderator

Postby hannahsmom » Sun Nov 29, 2009 09:56 am

by hannahsmom (1141 Posts), Sun Nov 29, 2009 09:56 am

Hi, Katie -

So good to hear from you! I am sorry to hear about the breastfeeding issues and the possibility of PPD. I have to formula feed because I switched bp meds right after birth to try to get the bp under control. I am going to talk to my doctor about getting screened for PPD. I am 2 and a half weeks post-partum and the baby has been home for 4 days. I understand about the sleepless nights! I am also having major regrets about getting my tubes tied and I am crying all the time. I think I had PPD with Hannah - I was put on meds while she was in the NICU, but I figured my sadness had to do with her being so sick. Now I have a healthy baby home with me this time, and I feel the same way I did before. Plus, I am anxious about going back to work, too. I am going to take an extended leave of absence because I can't take a 4 pound baby to the babysitter, plus I want more time to recover from my c-section. I hope you feel better soon. Hopefully we can both start getting some rest eventually :)
hannahsmom

Postby brockner1 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:55 am

by brockner1 (386 Posts), Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:55 am

(Hugs) Oh Katie, I missed you!!!

I am so glad baby is growing well and sorry to hear you going through PPD. I hope you get better soon.

I bet you cant have good sleep but i am sure it's worth it when you have cute little baby with you. Do post some new pictures when you get chance..
brockner1

Postby ladybug76135 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:57 am

by ladybug76135 (599 Posts), Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:57 am

The sleep deprivation from that first month is sheer torture. I remember just bawling one night about 2 weeks post partum because the baby was nursing for like the 15th hour in a row (and I'm a good producer so it wasn't lack of milk). I demanded that my husband get out the pump and wash some parts for me to use. I pumped, handed him the bottle and baby and told him to leave me alone for at least 3 hours. He did because I think he feared for his life if he didn't! That was the beginning of the end for our breast feeding. I pumped for the next 13 months and loved it.

I hope things get better soon. He's growing so fast. Take care of yourself and get rest when you can.
ladybug76135

Postby caryn » Sun Nov 29, 2009 06:36 pm

by caryn (10124 Posts), Sun Nov 29, 2009 06:36 pm

Hi Katie.

It does stop, I promise. The dirty little secret is that they come out so completely immature that they almost kill us postpartum too.

Get help if you need it -- we all need it. :-)
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby milesymommy » Mon Nov 30, 2009 09:43 am

by milesymommy (336 Posts), Mon Nov 30, 2009 09:43 am

Wow - a month!! (Hugs) It does fly by!
I think I had PPD with DS#1. It took a few months to decide maybe I needed help, and finally asked for a referral from my doctor to see a therapist... I actually never saw the therapist. I think just acknowledging that I needed help helped, as strange as that sounds.
I'm glad you are getting some help from the Lactation Boutique! That sounds great! And soon you'll heal, and the sleep deprivation doesn't last forever!
milesymommy

Next

Return to After your baby is born .....