1st Month Survival

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
kbunsey

1st Month Survival

Postby kbunsey » Sat Nov 28, 2009 08:20 pm

Phew. We survived the first month. Feels like I barely survived. I'm a candidate for Postpartum Depression - I can feel it creeping around. I was really super blue and anxious the first week or so home - Worrying about everything from real big things like SIDS and going back to work to dumb little stuff like housework. And both my husband and I had this pervasive sadness about the other baby. It was weird how emotional we both were. And it is sort of lonely being a new mom at home.

Kyle is growing well. He was 9lbs2oz last week at the Lactation Boutique. Which has been a major source of craziness for me. I'm a good producer - plenty of milk. And the baby is a super sucker. We were doing really well until my hubby went back to work after 2 weeks at home. Kyle likes to arm wrestle at the breast and I was tired and alone and we had a few bad latches that resulted in a few nipple wounds and next thing I'm in bed, at some insane hour trying to feed the baby, crying that it hurts, I can't do it and my poor husband is staring at my like, "What do I do???" And I had a horrible time finding a good fitting bra and was buying all this crap online which wasn't helping to have poor fitting attire. Thankfully there is a lovely Lactation Consultant in my area who runs a boutique and a moms group and she helped fix me up w/ some appropriate attire, gelpacks, Neosporin, and Medela shields to help speed healing. The healing isn't going as fast as I'd like it to, but it is getting better. And we're getting back into the swing of good latches. My hubby and I started giving the baby bottles of breast milk during the night which is when I did a lot of damage previously. He feeds baby and I express more milk.

Other than that the sleep deprivation is crazy. My bp is fabulous. The baby is super cute. He's so good during baths and makes the sweetest little noises when he's waking. He cries a lot, but we're practicing all our "Happiest Baby" soothing techniques. I shooshed him SO loud today that I was lightheaded. The laundry never ends. His poos don't smell bad, but need hand scrubbed out of clothes and cloth diapers. I'm a leaky mess - I must change my clothes 3x a day and can't count how many times I leaked milk all over the baby while nursing. Poor baby. The weight really does come off and did I mention that the sleep deprivation is crazy?

I can't believe he's already a month old!

Return to “After your baby is born .....”