I need some sleep advice

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
jend01

Re : I need some sleep advice

Postby jend01 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 09:31 am

We are having the same issue with our son right now! He goes to sleep fine and then he gets up a few hours after we put him down. If we are in his room he is fine, but as soon as we leave he cries again. We have a really creeky floor too :( Sometimes we just sleep on the floor next to his crib and other times we bring him into our bed and either way he sleeps all night. I am just crossing my fingers that he grows out of it, because I will not let him cry it out either. :) I really like it when he cuddles up next to me anyway.

joker

Postby joker » Mon Dec 14, 2009 04:45 pm

Thanks ladies! I think I have some books to buy!

crystalw

Postby crystalw » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:55 pm

Hey JEN!!!! Jack started doing the same thing awhile back... I think it was teeth.. I did teething tablets at bedtime and that seemed to help. Also when he would wake up I would just get up and rock him for awhile and yes sometimes he would take a bottle. :/ I know its not fun but like you I'm not a big fan of the cry it out method. Anyhow he still gets up once a night for a bottle around 5am and then back to bed. But I'm fine with that. And now he has gotten to where I can put him in his crib wide awake and he will go to sleep. :) That makes me happy! I never did bring him to bed with me because I have tried and he just gets really really excited and thinks its time to play lol. I guess because I always play with him in my bed when I'm making it. Well good luck and you know everyone and every baby is different so you will figure out whats best for you. Another reason they quit sleeping well is if they develop a new skill like crawling.

tree
Forum Moderator

Postby tree » Sat Dec 12, 2009 01:04 pm

I also found "Healthy Sleep Habit, Happy Child" very useful. We haven't had to cry-it-out yet, and I am not sure how I feel about it anyway. The other information in the book on how babies learn to sleep is really useful. I think we have been mostly lucky with a good sleeper, but organizing her days and nights a bit helped. I wouldn't have known to do it without the book.
We may be at a decision point for cry it out or co-sleeping after three days of crashing at a friend's house and hotel while really sick and stressed out. She has slept with me/us for the past three nights... Good luck with Allison. My daughter is nearly the same age and starting to wake up more now. It has almost always been due to sickness so far, but I can see her waking up to play on occasion. Teething isn't going to help matters if it ever happens.

season
Forum Moderator

Postby season » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:01 am

It is developmentally normal for her to start waking at her age - it could be teething, a new found ability to move around and/or a new sense of separation.

Thee is a huge range of how to respond to the night waking: co-sleeping, cry-it-out and many in between options. First though, make sure their is nothing you can do before she goes to bed that will help. Is she getting enough to eat in the evening? Is the bedtime routine relaxing her enough?. Is her room warm enough? Is she teething and in need of pain medicine?

If you don't want to do cry it out and want to find ways to get her to stay in her bed then I recommend The No Cry Sleep Solution book. They give a range of suggestions in the book - it does support co-sleeping but also supports those for whom co-sleeping is not what they want.

hols537

Postby hols537 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:44 am

Just re-reading my post and I just wanted to make sure that it was clear that even though I did cry it out, I completely understand why it doesn't work for others and totally do not judge anyone for choosing whatever sleeping arrangement that works for their family!

Hope you start getting some more sleep soon!

mnmom
Forum Moderator

Postby mnmom » Sat Dec 12, 2009 09:00 am

Jen, just to ease your mind- my 23 yr old and 20 yr old daughters really DON'T sleep with me anymore:) The six and three year olds are hit and miss. Honestly, we went through periods of co sleeping with all of them. I didn't feel strongly about it either way, but I did and still do have very strong feelings about me getting enough sleep! I haven't read any studies that co sleepers are less adjusted as adults. Take care. It does get better.

hols537

Postby hols537 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 02:49 pm

We had trouble with Jonathan sleeping at night. I always checked the following things when we had trouble: reflux medication dose (if it got too low, he would have trouble sleeping at night (but was OK for naps), hunger (I would give him cereal shortly before bed and it helped the reflux and the hunger), pacifier (we had to keep 2 in his room because if he lost it and woke up, we couldn't get him back to sleep easily). We never did co-sleeping because I never could sleep with a baby in the same room as me. I also followed the "Healthy Sleep Habit, Happy Child" book by Dr. Weissbluth. It hasn't steered me wrong yet...even with Alexander at nearly 3 years old it gives me lots of great tips.

If you can't tolerate any version of cry it out, waiting any period of time knowing you're going to go in is probably just teaching her to cry until you come back. I think for cry it out to really work, you have to be pretty committed. My kids both have pretty distinct cries when something is wrong of if they're just complaining. And, when we decided to let them cry (provided the other issues were already addressed), we only went in if it was a cry for something wrong and ignored the "protest cries". Jonathan cried one night for a few minutes and then gave up and slept all night. Sometimes he still will give some complaint cries when he goes to bed, but they rarely last more than a minute (literally like 30 seconds after we shut the door).

Good luck! Not getting sleep is hard. And, sometimes, you just have to do whatever you need to to get some sleep in the short term and try again a few weeks or months later. Highly recommend the book though - it's supportive of all methods (crying or no, co-sleeping or no).

annes
Forum Moderator

Postby annes » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:48 am

We had the same issue with Parker around this age and I admit for a couple months we had him sleep with us. I feel you about having your bed to yourself. For us, we needed to go to work in the morning so lying awake for a couple hours listening to him scream was a less attractive option than letting him sleep with us. We got him back into his own crib after a couple months. Good Luck.

wrennie

Postby wrennie » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:39 pm

hey jen, sorry about the sleeping. I dont have much advice. I dont do the cry it out either. Aylah is just now getting 9-10hrs consistently every night. Do you think Alison could be getting hungry? Maybe you could try feeding her more at night? Also do you let her sleep with something? Aylah holds onto one of those blankie things and that seems to help her. Thats about all i got. I hope it gets better soon!

Return to “After your baby is born .....”