I don't know where to post this...

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

I don't know where to post this...

Postby joker » Fri Dec 18, 2009 03:06 pm

First I thought this would belong in the TTC again section, but I don't know. I'm trying to decide what to do and need some help.

Right now I am not on birth control and we are using condoms. Fine, no big deal, but I'd really like to do something more, like an IUD. My ob gave me a script for the mini pill (she won't put me on regular BCP again) but when she gave it to me she told me it was only 95% effective. Seemed like a 5% risk was too much so I didn't bother to get it filled, but my cycles have been wonky lately and I just want to be sure I'm covered so I don't have to freak out every month when AF doesn't show when I expect.

I'm a little hesitant with the IUD because I am concerned about uterine scarring. I had a lot of scar tissue after we lost Abby that was removed and in the off chance that we decide to try again, I don't want my uterus to be all messed up. Ugh. I just don't know what to do.
joker

Re : I don't know where to post this...

Postby heather j » Fri Dec 18, 2009 03:45 pm

If, for whatever reason (and even though you can easily have it removed, it's no small hassle getting one in the first place in my experience), you're unsure about the IUD, why don't you continue with barrier contraceptives along with the minipill? If I were to use the mini (besides the IUD, this is all my MFM was for), I'd use it with a back-up method, for sure. The chances with those combined efforts, I would think, would be slim.
heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby celticepona » Fri Dec 18, 2009 08:42 pm

I used the diaphraghm for a while and it worked very well. I cannot take anything hormonal because of my bp, so that was a barrier method that worked very well.
celticepona

Postby annes » Mon Dec 21, 2009 09:59 am

I took the mini-pill with no problems. It is tricky, though, because you have to take it at the same time every day for it to be effective. It may help regulate your periods, and like Heather said you can continue to use the condoms.
annes
Forum Moderator

Postby kdreher » Mon Dec 21, 2009 03:29 pm

When I was contemplating the IUD my OB wanted to MAKE sure I really was done with pregnancies...well since I had an ectopic pregnancy the IUD was ruled a NO. You can always go with the Depo Provera shot as well.
kdreher

Postby joannek » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:18 am

my doc wrote me a scrip for the mini pill, but was trying to sell me on Norplant. I guess hormonally it is the same? I turned it down because I didn't want anything that long term (3 years) Not sure if it can be taken out or not...
joannek

Postby alexa5 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:56 am

I would agree with some of the others that the minipill and condoms together could be a great option if you are concerned about reliability of either. As indicated the minipill on its own is scary due to having to take it the same time each day, but combined with condoms I would think that is a pretty safe bet. I was on the minipill for a little while but went off of it for the reasons already stated, but my doctor kept insisting he had actually had more patients become pregnant on regular bc pills rather than the minipill. Despite that, I still didn't trust it :-) So we went the condom route as I didn't want depo due to a lot of the reported side effects, and I didn't want an IUD. There really aren't a lot of great options out there!
alexa5

Postby kbunsey » Fri Dec 25, 2009 01:52 am

Y'know,... this is a good topic. My docs keep suggesting the IUD for me and for some reason I am totally freaked out by that. Why? Currently, I can't imagine ever haivng sex again (nursing - please don't touch my breasts!), 2 month old baby at home and still feel a little strange (maybe a bit traumatized) from all the tearing and stitching and ice pack-wearing from Kyle's vaginal delivery - so, yeah, sex, no thank you. But i imagine that my husband and I will get back to business someday and what will we use!? I don't like any of the options except maybe the 'ole snip for the hubby, but are we sure Kyle is going to be an only child? I donno either.
kbunsey

Postby threesparkles » Mon Dec 28, 2009 09:44 am

I am taking the Depo shot....I was on it for about 5 years prior to Luke and Levi, and the only side effect was the absence of a period. It's very effective, and really the only option for me -- apparently I can't get an IUD b/c I have not had a vaginal delivery and there's a higher risk of perforation (?) and I can't take anything with estrogen.
threesparkles

Return to After your baby is born .....