Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Now 3 months old

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

Now 3 months old

Postby brianned5 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 02:17 pm

Since I returned to work my milk supply has dwindled to about 10 ounces per day, so she's getting formula for most of her feedings. I've tried fenugreek tablets, drinking tons of water, pumping frequently and no increase. I just cry sometimes. I want to just call in quits, but have in my mind that little bit of breastmilk she's getting might still help decrease the risk of SIDS. Maybe I'm fooling myself.

Kyndall is three months old. She weighs 12 pounds 12 ounces and is 24 inches long. I can't believe she's gotten so big already. She gained 7 pounds 10 ounces in 3 months! She's got fat rolls all over her legs and arms and neck. It's adorable. She's getting two bottom teeth in already and she laughs and holds frequent "conversations" with her grandpa. We call him the baby whisperer! I hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas!
brianned5

Re : Now 3 months old

Postby jmom08 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 02:34 pm

I am sorry about your supply! I had a very similar situation, and was driven to tears too. It seemed like no one (except maybe the lactation consultant) understood how much work it was to get that little bit of milk. The LC assured me that the little I was providing was still helping DS's immune system (and he actually didn't get sick the whole 13 months I pumped/BF). Fenugreek didn't help me either, it just upset our tummies. I'm not sure I would last quite as long if it happens again next time, but I think I would try for at least 6 months if I could. It really will be over before you know it!

Lots of hugs to you, and a wonderful holiday to you & your family too!!
jmom08

Postby annes » Tue Dec 22, 2009 02:38 pm

Brianne, I cannot believe it has been three months already! Aren't those little fat rolls the most wonderful thing to see? I have no advice on the breastfeeding, I was very unsuccessful at it, but I know a lot of our moms have done a great job, and I am sure they will have advice for you! Enjoy Kyndall's first Christmas!
annes
Forum Moderator

Postby brianned5 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 05:14 pm

I didn't expect breastfeeding to be so difficult. I had a wonderful supply with Kylie before she passed, which shocked everyone considering the circumstances. I just assumed I'd have no problems with a 36 weeker since I could get milk for a 25 weeker. The fat rolls are so cute. I'm going to post some photos of her soon.
brianned5

Postby tree » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:06 pm

Not sure if it helps to know this or not, but I cried for a couple of months over my supply problems. I made peace with the situation when my daughter was a little over four months old. I am not sure what made it easier, but it was a pretty quick transition to just being okay with it and enjoying her. They do get a lot of benefits from the early milk. I realized that and just became very thankful that I have access to clean water and high quality formula that my baby tolerated well.
Congrats on the fat rolls and happy girl!
tree
Forum Moderator

Postby threesparkles » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:31 am

Big Hugs, Brianne! I know how you feel, as my milk supply dwindled with Luke as well right around 4 months when I returned to work. I had to quit pumping, but he stayed fairly healthy irregardless of being formula fed! 10 oz is still a great contribution to her daily diet!!!

This time around, I have an enormous supply with Levi, but I attribute that to pumping like a maniac from Day 1. I was not able to start straight away with Luke, as I was sick myself. Have you tried pumping shorter sessions, and more frequently? I do believe that it's required by law for employers to allow breastfeeding Moms time to pump. I know I've really had to work with my employer on this. Do you use a hospital grade pump (I have a Medela Pump N Style Advanced and love it!)? Is your fluid intake sufficient? I'm sure you've probably already tried these things, but just thought I'd offer what has helped with me!

And Congrats on little Kyndall's weight! Levi is only 3 days older than she, and altho I'm not real sure on his current weight, he was only 8lbs 13.5oz at his 2 month check-up. I'm sure he's not 12lbs :) My boys just don't seem to "tank up". What's your secret?! :)
threesparkles

Postby brianned5 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 01:03 pm

Yeah, I was using my double electric pump at first then when Kyndall was three weeks I went to the hospital and rented a hospital grade Medela pump. I only got 6 1/2 ounces yesterday and today I got barely anything, and then Kyndall spit it up. My secret is having a baby that has her father's appetite. She's just packing on the pounds, at a week old she was already back to her birthweight. We've been very lucky.
brianned5

Return to After your baby is born .....