Crying Baby!!!

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

Crying Baby!!!

Postby mommy2maddie » Tue Dec 22, 2009 06:40 pm

My DS cries ALL THE TIME, and that is not an exageration, it is starting to drive me NUTS! Any suggestions on how to help him not cry, because nothing seems to work!
Thanks!
mommy2maddie

Re : Crying Baby!!!

Postby kara » Tue Dec 22, 2009 06:55 pm

How long has it been going on? Are you BF or formula feeding? Our dd was this way and it was gas, reflux, and a dairy and soy protein intolerance. If the crying is new maybe an ear infection or growth spurt? You might want to call the pediatrician before the holiday.
kara
Forum Moderator

Postby mommy2maddie » Tue Dec 22, 2009 08:42 pm

It is not new, it has been going on for some time. I am formula feeding since he was spitting so much on breastmilk and the doctor said he had failure to thrive, now he is spitting up less and gaining alot of weight. I have told the doctor, and he says he is just a more demanding baby. I tried gas drops and that doesnt seem to help. I feel like I am hopeless.
mommy2maddie

Postby mnmom » Wed Dec 23, 2009 07:57 am

Alissa, I can relate. My first daughter was an amazingly demanding baby. It is a wonder she has any siblings :). Have you tried tight swaddling? Swing? Honestly, for her, the only thing that stopped the crying at times was the sound of the drier or running water. I remember napping on the bathroom floor with her, with the sink running for hours. The good thing is, he really will grow out of it. Not much comfort today, I know. Oh, how about the car? Carseat? My boys slept in the carseat for months......
mnmom
Forum Moderator

Postby hannahsmom » Wed Dec 23, 2009 09:52 am

Ughh...I feel your pain. My baby screams all night long. I am a walking zombie. I have a call into the pediatrician for some ideas!
hannahsmom

Postby alexa5 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 09:59 am

The good news like Lori said, he will grow out of it. My son had colic, and it lasted right up to or a little past 3 mos of age, which is the age that a lot of them outgrow it. Life was so much better after that! :-)

In the meantime it is just a trial and error thing to find the things that work to soothe him. And the tough thing is that some things only work once or twice. Some of the things that worked for us was that he did like his pacifier, so that helped soothe him. And sometimes holding him in a sideways position helped. But honestly it was a matter of getting through it as best as we could by taking shifts at night so we each could get a little sleep and things like that. His colic occured in the evenings and night up until 2 or 3 am, so it was really hard and frustrating.

I felt like we had a rough start compared to a lot of other parents--having had preeclampsia, NICU stay, and then the colic started shortly after he was home from the NICU. I didn't get to start really enjoying motherhood or start to have that bond until after 3 months of age. Some parents don't know how good they have it, ya know?

Here are the 5 S's from the Happiest Baby on the Block...maybe some will work for you...

http://www.colichelp.com/shop/happiestbabyontheblock.html
alexa5

Postby jend01 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:18 am

My son went through a stage of that as well. His did turn out to be gas that gas drops didn't always help with. We would massage his belly to try and break up some of the gas bubbles. He really liked it and it did help a lot, along with the gas drops. My sis is going through the same thing with her son right now and it seems to help him a lot too.
jend01

Postby mommiesangel » Sun Dec 27, 2009 07:37 pm

Could it be that the formula is bothering their belly? A friend of mine had the same issue with her little girl after she drank a bottle she was not stop scream. The figured it was the formula and they bought a special formula that doesn't have any milk in it.
mommiesangel

Postby milesymommy » Mon Dec 28, 2009 09:36 am

Josh went through a phase of a lot of crying too, but it doesn't sound as bad as yours. I thought he might be developing colic, but then it stopped.
If he likes the car and car seat, drive, baby, drive. If he likes the bouncy, use that. If he likes the swing, use that. My son was happiest in the bouncy.
I found the gas drops didn't work well with my DS either. He gets horrible gas a lot, but nothing helps. I pump his legs to relieve the pressure when I know he has gas.
He may just be colicy. My niece was that way. Unfortunately, theres not a lot you can do. I found my niece liked it when I laid her on my arm (face down) and gently swung her. Some babies really like being on their tummy, but we are warned against it because of SIDS. If you are alert and watching, you can have him on his tummy. My husband actually slept with our DS laying on his chest. They recommend against this, but my DS loved it and sleeps wonderfully like this. My husband doesn't exactly sleep well doing this, so we don't fear he'll roll over and squash the baby.
As everyone wrote, eventually they grow out of it.
milesymommy

Postby kbunsey » Wed Jan 06, 2010 04:10 pm

All good suggestions. We had a lot of crying too and tried a lot of things including: vacuuming while holding baby. I bought an ERGO carrier to make this easier. Hair dryer noise lets me get my hair done - when I feel like it. Lots of "shushing." Swaddling. Rocking. Sit on the exercise ball, hold baby and bounce. Car rides. I even put Kyle in the stroller and walked him around the house once during an appetite spurt when my milk was catching up and he was demanding. Lots of holding and walking. Singing.

Wishing you and baby some rest.
kbunsey

Return to After your baby is born .....