Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Tummy support?

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

Tummy support?

Postby kbunsey » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:22 pm

by kbunsey (895 Posts), Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:22 pm

NONE of my prepregnancy pants fit! And since I was mostly preg during the summer I don't have any nice preggy pants. My butt, thighs and hips are bigger than ever and I need to get ready to go back to work soon and I don"t want to buy pants 2 sizes bigger. I have a HUGE work wardrobe of prepreg work clothes. Anybody ever tried one of those tummy support things? Any recommendations?
kbunsey

Re : Tummy support?

Postby kara » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:26 pm

by kara (6614 Posts), Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:26 pm

Can you get by with rubber banding your pants buttons and wearing a maternity or larger shirt over the top? Have a friend or sister who has larger sizes in their wardrobe that you could borrow? I swear by "spanks" that squeeze tummies and butt/hips. They are good for slimming you one size usually. That's all the advice I have. Sorry you are having this dilemma.
kara
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:43 pm

by heather j (4882 Posts), Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:43 pm

I completely and totally agree with Kara about Spanx (specifically the Hide and Sleek High Rise Panty ;) if you're interested!). It will tighten and smooth your midsection by a couple inches, but if wider hips are the problem, it may not help so much. There are probably other slimmers that they make that would work for that, though. It took about nine months after delivery for my hips to return to their normal state. The positive, of course, is that they did return - almost overnight, it seemed (nine months later, but very rapidly after that).

You could just buy some knitwear. I think JJill sells a lot of the flowy, stretchy knits that look professional (you're in a school, right? It was dress appropriate when I was teaching). You could by a couple pieces to get you through, and still be able to wear them after you get back to your normal shape. How soon 'til you go back?
heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby kbunsey » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:09 pm

by kbunsey (895 Posts), Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:09 pm

Borrowed some pants (2 sizes bigger) from a girlfriend. Not one pair fits over my thighs and hips. My waist is squishy, of course, but it is the thighs, hips and butt that are the real buggers. :-( I'll look into those Spanx. I went buy a pair of those Reebok sneakers that tone your booty - and all the stores are sold out. I go back to work at school in March, but have some odds and ends consulting to do and need to wear suit pants in January and February. I've never been overweight before, nor have I ever had to "diet" - I always was able to eat what I want and not worry, but now that's not the case. Although, this is the least physically active I've ever been. Walking the baby around the house isn't exactly the same as my usual active lifestyle. I started some gentle postpartum exercises after my 6-week check-up, so hopefully I'll bounce back. The holidays aren't helping me much w/ eating sensibly. I just can't believe how pants that were previously falling off my behind won't even come up over my thighs.
kbunsey

Postby milesymommy » Mon Dec 28, 2009 09:28 am

by milesymommy (336 Posts), Mon Dec 28, 2009 09:28 am

I can completely understand! I have the same issues - squishy tummy, larger hip/thighs/butt. I gave in and bought a couple of new pants.
I've decided to start my diet after New Years. Holidays will be over, and hubby will be traveling - so much easier for me to not make the big dinners we both love.
milesymommy

Postby threesparkles » Mon Dec 28, 2009 09:37 am

by threesparkles (254 Posts), Mon Dec 28, 2009 09:37 am

I have the same issue, and I also caved in and bought a couple of dress pants that fit better. I figured, my grandma sews, so when I lose some more weight she can work her magic on my "too big" pants!! :)
threesparkles

Postby kbunsey » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:42 am

by kbunsey (895 Posts), Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:42 am

Oh shoot. And I just realized I need to change my profile. I'm 32 now, not 31! ;-)
kbunsey

Postby joannek » Thu Dec 31, 2009 06:02 am

by joannek (193 Posts), Thu Dec 31, 2009 06:02 am

I have nothing to add here of any help, just wanted to say how great pajama pants are. I will go through life wearing them before I cave in and buy the bigger size pants that I really need. :)
joannek

Postby lucy » Sat Jan 02, 2010 05:45 am

by lucy (4706 Posts), Sat Jan 02, 2010 05:45 am

They have those new buttons that are supposed to make your pants two sizes bigger they snap in and back out? I saw them on tv, the back looks like a tack before you put the back piece on but that would only help with the waist.

As for the shoes I bought a couple pairs of K-Mart's version which is Therashoes I believe $40.00 to $50.00 a pair (plus they have coupon codes) as opposed to $100.00 plus that sketchers and reeboks wanted, they are pretty comfy and do feel like they work your legs.

lucy

Return to After your baby is born .....