Postpartum Hope

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

Postpartum Hope

Postby kbunsey » Wed Jan 06, 2010 09:47 am

With the posts on PPD and remembering how completely overwhelmed I felt the first 6 weeks I thought I'd post something I read in a magazine. I copied it onto big poster-sized paper and read it all day long (the first weeks of nursing until my boobs and baby synchronized and became more efficient were grueling) anyways - this became my mantra -faking it at times until it actually happened.

"Have faith. Like baby acne and bowed legs, that incredibly frightening new-parent feeling won't last long....So when you're in the thick of it, remember this: Your nipples won't hurt forever; your stomach will flatten; you'll soon get four, five, even six hours of uninterrupted sleep; and your love is enough to see you - and your baby - through."

Now, I can't say my PPD was cured by this little message, nor is it completely gone, especially the anxiety parts and the griping at my husband - but it has gotten better. And I still say to myself every day, "my love is enough." I say it extra when I start getting freaked about returning to work and sending baby to childcare. ;-) Oh, yes and I have a date tomorrow w/ my therapist.
kbunsey

Re : Postpartum Hope

Postby mnmom » Wed Jan 06, 2010 07:32 pm

Still waiting on that flat tummy comment :)
mnmom
Forum Moderator

Postby jmom08 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 09:19 pm

Thank you for sharing -- I really like that!

My tummy sort of got flat afterward. Then girl scout cookie season happened... :)
jmom08

Postby kbunsey » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:18 pm

True that, ladies. My tummy may be flat enough to not look pregnant anymore, but I'm still squishy all over and a whole different shape! ;-)
kbunsey

Postby mellybute » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:41 pm

Yes, reading that the first think I thought was....stomach will flatten? still waiting for that too....think that's actually gonna take some work :-)

But it is VERY true...it gets so much easier as time passes....this second baby has been so much easier than the first go round...I am more relaxed and so is baby!!
mellybute

Postby missgamecock » Fri Jan 08, 2010 09:05 am

I think that message DOES help. Sometimes love isn't enough to get you through PPD. I had horrible ppd with Sara and THANK GOD for drugs. I remember my ob telling me I wasn't crazy, this wasn't going to last forever, but I just needed something to get me over the hump until my hormones straighted out. I thought he's a guy, how in the world does he know? He was 100% right. With Cate, I started an anti anxiety med (celexa) when I was in the hospital. What a difference it made. I had very little PPD. I was able to enjoy her.

It is true it gets easier. If someone feels they need help, please don't hesitate to contact a dr. There is NOTHING wrong with taking a medication to even out your hormones.

I am still waiting for that flat tummy from when Kirsten was born!
missgamecock

Return to After your baby is born .....