Potty training HELP please!!!!!

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

Potty training HELP please!!!!!

Postby mommiesangel » Wed Jan 06, 2010 09:50 am

Gabrielle is now 2 12 yrs old and she refuses to go potty at all. She will usually sit on her potty for a good 20 minutes reading a book, talking, singing etc but when she feels that urge to go number 1 she gets all clentched (sp?) up and will stand up and say she is done. I feel so bad because she sits on the potty for so long that the seat leaves red marks on her dupie. We tried running water, bribing her w/stickers, My Little Pony's but with no such luck. We also showed her underwear that she could wear if she goes potty. We want to get potty trained before she starts preschool in the next few months. A lot of my friends say that its because she was a preemie that she will probably be delayed and we should wait another month or 2 which doesn't wrk because she will be in school than.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what we can do to encourage her to go?
mommiesangel

Re : Potty training HELP please!!!!!

Postby kbunsey » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:05 am

No suggestions, but wishing you well in this endeavour. I've been told it can be challenging. (((HUGS)))
kbunsey

Postby mommiesangel » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:51 am

quote:
Originally posted by kbunsey

No suggestions, but wishing you well in this endeavour. I've been told it can be challenging. (((HUGS)))

Thanks and Congrats on the birth of handsome little guy and your article! I will def have to have my MIL keep that for me (am in Ohio too)
mommiesangel

Postby milesymommy » Wed Jan 06, 2010 02:43 pm

Kids have their own schedules on potty training. Nothing we can do will make it happen any faster. I am struggling with my almost 3 yr old. We started training just after he was 2 - and when he had all the "signs" he ready. But then he had a tonsillectomy, messing up training, then new brother came along, definite set back there, and now here we are, 9 months later and he's still not potty trained. They say the average length of time to train is 8 months.
I know some people go straight to big boy/girl undies and just deal with a lot of laundry while the child learns. We're trying that next - as soon as the current stack of pull ups runs out.
Talk to the preschool and find out what they do with kids that aren't potty trained.
Good luck!!!
milesymommy

Postby birdie_girl » Wed Jan 06, 2010 03:49 pm

My DS is 2 1/2 and we've been trying to potty train for about four months now. He "gets" the peeing part -- which is to say, he will hold it until I take him to a potty, and sometimes (on particularly good days) he will tell me that he needs to go. But he absolutely won't do #2 on the toilet, ever, no matter what the bribe. I got lots of advice from lots of friends and tried much of it, to no avail. My guess is that your daughter will come around to it when she's ready.

Also, you may find that being around other potty-trained kids at preschool suddenly motivates her more than anything you could offer - all three of my nephews suddenly wanted to use the toilet when they discovered they were among the few kids still wearing diapers at school.
birdie_girl

Postby mother bear » Wed Jan 06, 2010 05:45 pm

Michelle didn't even start the process until 2 1/2, and was not dry during her awake times until after 3 years old. Now, at almost 4, she still wears a diaper at night, and still wakes up wet 1/4 of the time. We really pushed hard with #2, because she had constipation so bad she was having rectal prolapse issues, because her stools were so hard and big that the diaper would hold them in.
Her sister, Nicole, is 2 1/4, and has been ready for some months now, much earlier than her sister, but dang it, I'm about to give birth, and there's just no way I'm going to be in the midst of potty training with a newborn.

It sounds like Gabrielle's just not really ready yet. Both of my kids like to have their favorite stuffed animal go pee and poo in the potty, and then use up an entire roll of toilet paper wiping their stuffed animal's butts. I've also informed them that the first thing Dora (insert child's favorite character here) does in the morning is they go pee on the potty, just like mommy and daddy. In fact, did you know that all of her favorite book characters pee on the potty? They do. I swear. They don't wear diapers, either. Because they're big girls. (sigh) If only such logic worked on thumbsucking...

Talk to the preschool. Usually, they're pretty accomodating.
mother bear

Postby mnmom » Wed Jan 06, 2010 07:39 pm

Agreeing with everyone else. If she isn't ready, she isn't ready. If her preschool has a 2 1/2 yr old class, my guess is that they have many kids who are not potty trained. I also really agree with the comment that she may feel some "peer" pressure to get rid of the diapers once there. My youngest started preschool this year, at three. Luckily, he was completely potty trained around two, but he is a major thumb sucker. We have noticed a huge decrease in that behavior since he started school and noticed other kids didn't have their thumb attached to their mouths......Good luck. Don't let potty training stress you out.
mnmom
Forum Moderator

Postby mommiesangel » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:56 am

We aren't forcing her to go in anyway. She wants to sit on the potty with her books and read. When we try to get her up she gets upset with us and sits back down on the potty. She also does sit on the potty when she is fully dressed--we ask her if she wants to go potty and she will say yes than help take her jeans off. She usually stays pretty dry (minus number 2) during the day except at night and nap time. If we ask her is she is wet she will say no and she is right her diaper is dry & thats usually when we say do you want to go potty she will usually say no and we don't push it.

mommiesangel

Postby mnmom » Fri Jan 08, 2010 07:50 am

That's great! So she is starting to understand the process. You are doing all of the right things. For now, I would just go at her pace.
mnmom
Forum Moderator

Return to After your baby is born .....