Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Baby hates tummy time

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

Re : Baby hates tummy time

Postby hols537 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 02:22 pm

by hols537 (1031 Posts), Fri Jan 08, 2010 02:22 pm

I don't have much to add since you've got lots of great information. The one suggestion I'll add is to try a mirror for him to look at himself. That was the trick to getting Jonathan to do tummy time. Good luck!
hols537

Postby kbunsey » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:46 pm

by kbunsey (895 Posts), Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:46 pm

It always seems w/ me that I post right when I'm on the crest of the frustration and then somehow - magically - things start getting better. I started putting Kyle on my legs while lying on my back w/ legs at 90 degree angle and doing tummy time while I make funny faces at him. We go in front of the big mirror in his room and he seems to enjoy that. I've started rolling him around on the floor and then rolling him onto his tummy for little bits and he seems OK doing that. His neck and head are really strong and he holds his head really well. I think maybe b/c when I do carry him around his is upright. He hardly spends any time on his back (except sleeping) so I think we're OK. I just started putting him in one of those activity mat/play things. I sat him in his Bumbo chair tonight and he sat in it great! He looked awesome. I think we'll start sitting in the Bumbo a little bit each day. I read it can be a strengthening activity as an alternative to tummy time.

So thank you everyone for all your help and suggestions. Really, too, this was mommy's issue more than Kyle's. Deep breaths, right. :-) XO
kbunsey

Postby threesparkles » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:35 am

by threesparkles (254 Posts), Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:35 am

You've already gotten a TON of great information, but just thought I'd add that yes, the Bumbo is an alternative to a trunk strength-builder, which is what tummy time is known for since the "Back to Sleep" campaign started.

And also, I use an inclined tummy mat for Levi, and he LOVES it! But, he likes tummy time, too, which I find strange because Luke HATED it! :) Anyway, I thought it might be a good option for those babies who don't like tummy time because they're not laying so flat? Here's a pic of Levi using it:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3079935&id=814721247

threesparkles

Previous

Return to After your baby is born .....