Breastfeeding

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

Breastfeeding

Postby km1317 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 08:47 pm

I was just wondering if anyone had problems keeping their supply up? I have taken the herbs and had three cycles of reglan and the docs will not give me another. I was also wondering if anyone had any other sugestions. My daughter is now six months, but i would really LOVE to keep brestfeeding, but dont want her to go hungry.
km1317

Re : Breastfeeding

Postby kara » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:59 pm

Are you pumping mostly or breastfeeding mostly, or some combination? Breastfeeding tends to be much more productive then pumping. So if you are pumping and worried about how much you get, chances are baby gets enough while breastfeeding, unless you notice fussiness or other symptoms of hunger. Pumping resulted in about 50-75% less milk then breastfeeding for me. It can also depend on how frequenlty you BF and pump? The older baby gets, the less they may nurse, throw in baby and table foods and it cuts down even more on milk. You may have to pump in between feedings, or nurse more frequently. Does your pediatrician have a lactation consultant on staff you could talk to?
kara
Forum Moderator

Postby jmom08 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:38 pm

I had supply problems. It took so long to get started that the lactation consultant had us start supplementing with formula in the hospital. DS took several weeks learning how to latch/BF, and I was only ever able to supply about 50% of intake (combined BF & hospital grade rental pump). I also had to pump exclusively for a couple of weeks while on medication I couldn't avoid for my wrists, so that probably didn't help. I never tried prescriptions to increase supply, but did try some herbs and didn't think they helped much (& the fenugreek really upset DS's & my tummy!).

I was told a couple of times that the first 6 months were most important, and that even though I had to supplement throughout, the antibodies were still helping him. He never did get sick while BFing (despite being exposed to colds from me & DH!), and got his first cold after 13 months when I finally quit. Basically I was told anything I could give him would be good.

Kara has good advice! Sorry I don't have any answers myself... but been there, and wanted to offer support & hugs!! :)
jmom08

Postby km1317 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 02:34 pm

i am just pumping, baby took a really long time to get latched properly and when she did nurse she would always fall asleep, so then she would cluster feed. I have already talked to the lactation consultant and she said that with baby starting foods and juice she should be fine, but to me it seems like she is still drinking the same amount of milk. Thanks for the replies
km1317

Postby kellyo19 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 09:42 pm

Try Goats Rue -it is said to help boost supply and actual milk-making structure inside the breast. I'm reading "The Breastfeeding Mother's Guide to Making More Milk" which is promoted by LLL, I got at library. Motherlove's special blend plus is said to have goats rue, fenugreek, and handful of other herbs to boost supply. Oatmeal-everything (cookies, cereal, granola) can also help supply. I make my oatmeal cookies with raisens, choc chips, flaxseed meal, and brewer's yeast (the BY helps with production some, flax provides Omega's), google Lactation Cookies for recipe.
kellyo19

Postby kbunsey » Thu Feb 04, 2010 05:08 pm

I read that too about oatmeal. Now I'm sure to eat it daily for breakfast. How's it going?

A friend of mine had supply issues, and her baby was a bit behind in his growth, but once he started solid foods he had this MAJOR spurt! He'll be 1 year in the end of March and nobody's worried about him now.
kbunsey

Postby my3tatertots » Fri Feb 05, 2010 05:14 pm

Make sure you are using a hospital grade pump or at least something as good as a medela pump in style. I've exclusively pumped for 3 kiddos now and know from experience that a good pump will make all the difference. Also, parts like rubber valves will wear out over time and need to be replaced to keep the suction strong. I'm currently taking domperidone for the first time. It doesn't have the bad side effects like depression that reglan has. Its working quite well. You will have to get it from a compounding pharmacy if your doctor will write a prescription for you. Or you can buy it online without a prescription but make sure you really research this option first. Any amount of breastmilk you can provide is wonderful, even if its only an ounce a day.
my3tatertots

Postby sheri-ct » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:35 am

Supply issues are soooooo stressful! What kind of pump are you using? If you are using the PIS, make sure you are changing the membranes (little white things) every 2-3 weeks (they last longer for people that only occasionally pump, but not for exclusive pumpers). How many times per day are you pumping and how much are you generally getting over a 24 hour period? I am also an exclusive pumper and had to work hard after both pregnancies to get my supply up. I was only making about 17 ounces for the first 2 months, but now I am making 31-33 per day. Here is what worked for me- I did not see a significant increase until I took Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle (4 pills each 3 times a day.........I was not seeing an increase until I took this much). I only took it for a month b/c it made Meredith really gassy and gave her horrible acne, but during that month I pumped ALL THE TIME. I tried to pump 10 times a day and as often as I could in the morning (I found that I made more then). I also ate oatmeal (not instant) every day and I even made cookies to eat. My supply did stay up after I stopped the Feugreek and Blessed Thistle. I am still eating the oatmeal and I try to pump 6-7 times per day to keep my supply up. Please let me know if you have any questions. You are doing a great job!
sheri-ct
Forum Moderator

Postby mother bear » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:47 am

I'm exclusively pumping now at 3 weeks pp, Erik just isn't a breastfeeding baby as anyone who's ever fed him a bottle can see why. I don't quite know why I've got gobs of milk this time, only pumping with a pumpinstyle a mere 5 times a day (it really is incredible that I can change a toddler's clothes and pump at the same time) for 20 minutes max and getting 38 ounces. This is sooo different from pumping for my preemie, only ever got up to 32 ounces a day and spent most of the 10 months I pumped for Michelle around 20 ounces a day, pumping 8 or 9 times a day. I know that with my preemie, my milk started to drop off around month 6 or so, so I switched pumps from the symphony to the pumpinstyle, and when I switched pumps I really noticed an increase. That might have been membrane change like Sheri-ct said. Or it could be that I just respond better in general to the pumpinstyle instead of the symphony? They are different and feel different. So, change something.
mother bear

Return to After your baby is born .....