4 mo well baby, ear infctn, now bronchial infctn

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

4 mo well baby, ear infctn, now bronchial infctn

Postby milesymommy » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:36 am

Josh had his 4 month well baby earlier yesterday. He is doing great, except a raging ear infection. A couple nights ago he cried and screamed for almost 3 hours - even when being held, and he's not a crier. I almost took him to the ER, but it seemed that once I told DH I was taking him in he quieted and went to sleep. I decided to wait and see, and he woke up happy as usual later, so I thought it might have been teething pains or really bad gas. Anyway, turns out to be an ear infection. I felt so bad - I should have taken him in.
I am also starting him back on reflux meds. He took them for a few weeks shortly after he was born, but it didn't seem to do anything. He always sounds "mucousy" when he breathes. My ped and I have talked about possibility of reflux several times, and we decided it was time to put him back on meds to see if it makes a difference. He doesn't spit up that much, and he doesn't seem to be in any pain, so that's why we've waited to see if the mucuous would clear up. It never cleared up... I had to wait 2 hours at the pharmacy because they had to "make" his new prescription. He previously took Zantac, but now is on Prilosec.
His weight gain is starting to taper. Doctor seemed a little concerned, but not worried. So we'll have to monitor it. He was 80s/70s, then down to 50s, now 34th percentile. They don't like to see movement like that. head and height 70s/80s as its been since birth.
I am also changing peds. I really really like the one we've been seeing, but she's an hour out of the way, each direction. The nearby clinic we can go to was not accepting new peds patients when he was born, but after I had scheduled his 4 month well baby I heard they were enrolling new peds patients. A lot of my friends use this ped and like him, and its 5 min from where I work and directly across from daycare, so I immediately enrolled him. I went to the old ped for the well baby, and I intended to tell her it was our last visit. But she said we'd be doing a follow up appt with her in 2 weeks for the ear infection, so I decided to wait and tell her at the follow up. When I went to make the follow up appt, I could not get it with her because we've changed peds. :( Ugh. So the receptionist said she'd call the doctor and ask her to put in a referral so we could see her. I overheard the call - the doctor told her since we switched peds, we'd do the follow up with the new ped. I feel bad - I really wanted to tell her in person how much I appreciated all she'd done for us. She has even called me at home to check on Josh! Even when we couldn't get an appointment with her for acute care, if she saw me she would stop, talk to me, look at his charts... She is awesome. I really like her, but with work I can't afford an extra 2 hours off just to go to a doctors appointment. Plus it really impacted what appointment times I could go - nothing before 9 and nothing after 2 because of traffic. And an extra hour in the car really isn't fun with a sick baby. I sent her an email telling her how much I appreciated her. Not the same though. I think I'll email her boss because she is really that great.
In other news, older son Miles has gone 4 nights with a dry diaper! Yeah!!! We had several setbacks with potty training, so it seems like we're finally back on track. I bought diapers (not pullups) a couple weeks ago and told him since he was still not using the potty all the time he was going back to "baby" diapers. He didn't like that and kept asking for the "big boy" diapers. After a few days he refused to wear the diaper, only underwear, and he's only had a few accidents. I also got him boxers like daddy that he seems proud to wear. He hasn't had an accident in them yet.
It's been quiet on the boards as of late... how's everyone else doing?
-------------------- update 1/25
Unfortunately, it was a rough weekend with Josh. Irritable and sleepy all day Saturday, and only drinking half us much as usual. I figured the antibiotics should have helped by then, plus he was on tylenol, so I took him in to the ER. Of course we get there and he's a happy baby - flirting already with all the nurses. His ear was looking better, and they took a urine sample, white cells in that, so maybe UTI. Changed antibiotics, follow up with ped. Went to the new ped this AM, he said right lung sounds "crunchy" so now a bronchial infection. Decreased appetitie is probably because he has such a hard time breathing. He was going to have him on albuterol inhaler, but said some infants have no reaction to it. So the nurse administered one dose there, and the docotor listened to his lungs afterwards - no change. So no albuterol treatemnt for him. I have to be more agressive when I suck mucus out of his nose and lay him on his side and "beat" his back to help open airways. I hope it works and he feels better soon.
Keep us in your prayers!
milesymommy

Re : 4 mo well baby, ear infctn, now bronchial infctn

Postby lucy » Sat Jan 23, 2010 02:28 am

Sounds like she is a great ped and I am sure she appreciates the email that was cool of you, hope the ear infection is better soon and yeey for big bro potty training!!!
lucy

Postby kara » Sat Jan 23, 2010 09:55 am

Awesome on the dry nights! My dd is a year and 3 months older and still isn't dry at night. She is fine during the day and at nap, but never dry at night. What's your secret?

You could also send the doctor a thank you card.
kara
Forum Moderator

Postby milesymommy » Mon Jan 25, 2010 03:36 pm

Great advice - I think I'll send her a card. Can't say what's prompted dry nights... I still let him drink milk, water, juice before bed, but a prerequisite to any before night time drink is he has to potty. Since he really wants a drink, he makes himself go. Plus he really didn't want to wear "baby" diapers.
milesymommy

Return to After your baby is born .....