My baby is finally home!!! But more bad news:(

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

My baby is finally home!!! But more bad news:(

Postby mommy2maddie » Thu Feb 18, 2010 06:41 pm

RJ came home today! He is doing much better. We were sent home with an antibotic and breathing treatments four times a day. For those of you that had to do breathing treatments did you do it during the night as well? Thank you all for your prayers and for thinking about my son. I am so glad he is home and (almost) well. However, I think my 20 month old daughter is coming down with is as well, she has a fever, is coughing, snotting, and grumpy. She was born at 29 weeks, and she wasn't ever sick until after her first birthday, so I am not sure if she has ever gotten RSV. How have your former preemies, now toddlers, done when they have gotten RSV? I am just so worried, I do not want a repeat of this week!
mommy2maddie

Re : My baby is finally home!!! But more bad news:(

Postby mnmom » Thu Feb 18, 2010 08:06 pm

Since RJ had RSV, I would get her checked out to be sure. 20 months is still a little one! I hope you get some relief soon.
mnmom
Forum Moderator

Postby sonja » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:12 pm

I agree, I would want to get her checked out.

Take care Mama! I hope that you are all better soon.
sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby milesymommy » Fri Feb 19, 2010 09:36 am

I hope Madison doesn't have it! But better to get checked early. I'm glad RJ is home.
Good luck with the nebulizer. How's he taking it?
milesymommy

Postby sarab » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:42 am

SO glad RJ is home and doing better! Hopefully someone with experience doing breathing treatments at home will pop in with some good advice for you.

I agree with the others - I would get Maddie checked out soon, especially knowing that RJ did, in fact, have RSV. Our 29 weeker was also very healthy, never having anything other than a mild cold until after she was one. When she was 3 she got RSV that quickly developed into pneumonia, and we spent 5 days in the hospital. Hopefully you are catching it early enough and you can avoid all that, if it is indeed RSV.

Take care, Alissa. You've had a rough week!
sarab
Site Admin

Postby season » Fri Feb 19, 2010 01:45 pm

Glad he is home - sorry the older one is sick now too - I hope they both recover quickly. Hang in there mama.
season
Forum Moderator

Postby aundapenner » Sat Feb 20, 2010 03:52 am

Regarding breathing treatments at night - for us, it would depend on things ...

If Henry was really bad - having a hard time breathing or coughing that was interrupting his sleep, we would give it to him. We would try to muffle the sound of the machine (with a pillow or blanket) and hold it close to his face so he was inhaling the meds.

And if he woke up in the middle of the night, we'd do it too.

But if he was sleeping okay, we'd wait until the morning.

HTH and sorry to hear DD might be sick too ...
aundapenner

Postby trish » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:06 am

We do the same thing as Alice for night time. We haven't been successful doing treatment while she sleeps - the machine coming on always wakes her - so we stopped trying if she was sleeping/breathing fine.

My 3rd DD had RSV at 13 months & again at 20 months. She also had a sinus infection the 2nd time & was on antibiotic for 30 days trying to get it cleared up. But besides a few days of round the clock breathing treatments she was fine - no hospital needed. She's got the same sinus thing again now at almost 26 months (not sure if RSV too) but the breathing treatments have helped a lot.

I would have her checked to be safe. Better to catch it early. (((HUGS)))
trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:07 am

We do the same thing as Alice for night time. We haven't been successful doing treatment while she sleeps - the machine coming on always wakes her - so we stopped trying if she was sleeping/breathing fine.

My 3rd DD had RSV at 13 months & again at 20 months. She also had a sinus infection the 2nd time & was on antibiotic for 30 days trying to get it cleared up. But besides a few days of round the clock breathing treatments she was fine - no hospital needed. She's got the same sinus thing again now at almost 26 months (not sure if RSV too) but the breathing treatments have helped a lot.

I would have her checked to be safe. Better to catch it early. (((HUGS)))
trish
Forum Moderator

Postby kdreher » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:43 am

quote:
Originally posted by AundAPenner

Regarding breathing treatments at night - for us, it would depend on things ...

If Henry was really bad - having a hard time breathing or coughing that was interrupting his sleep, we would give it to him. We would try to muffle the sound of the machine (with a pillow or blanket) and hold it close to his face so he was inhaling the meds.

And if he woke up in the middle of the night, we'd do it too.

But if he was sleeping okay, we'd wait until the morning.

HTH and sorry to hear DD might be sick too ...

Same for us with Michael. He is currently on prednisone 2x a day and albuterol as needed. He is 15 months old and had RSV a few weeks ago. We did one night in the hospital. I only do the treatments as needed now...I don't give him the asthma meds all the time when I know he is fine.
kdreher

Next

Return to After your baby is born .....