how long could you pump exclusively?

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

how long could you pump exclusively?

Postby pugmommy7 » Fri Jun 11, 2004 04:49 am

i was wondering, could one pump indefinately?
once, i heard an l/c say that it will peter out after time, yet another told me the potential never goes away for some.
wdyt?

Jennifer, 30
DH, Chris, 33
Mama & Daddy to:
Isabella Sofia,1/02/03 born @ 33.5 weeks at 3 lbs,6oz., 16". GD,
Pre-E,& borderline HELLP.

Catalina Amelia,5/29/04 born @ 36.2 weeks,4 lbs.,12oz.,16"
GD,PIH,& Pre-e
pugmommy7

Re : how long could you pump exclusively?

Postby angelkat » Fri Jun 11, 2004 04:50 am

I pumped for 3 1.2 months with Katlyne. I'm sure I could have done more if needed.....

Hugs
~T
Moderator Grief and Loss
Mommy to
Drew(13)PE 37 wks
Ky (11)PE 34 wks
~i~ Katlyne(12/9/02-04/02/03)25 wks
Casey Looking at Aug
Katlyne's Tribute Site
http://forevernetwork.com/lifestories/lifestory.cfm?Archive_ID=10971&Directory=/Archives/MountHope&Sort=V
angelkat

Postby annes » Fri Jun 11, 2004 06:27 am

I was only able to pump for 8 wks, my supply by that time had really gotten bad. I could have done more, ie, lactaction consultant, but I was so exhausted and stressed, that my OB and the pediatrician gave me the green light to move from BM supplemented with formula to formula alone! I have to say that after the decision was made, and I got past the guilt and disappointment[:(] ( I had planned to nurse for at least 6mths) I was really relieved. Also, if you are thinking about this, the one big pro of formula is that it got my DH in on the act with feeding, and that is wonderful[;)]! GOOD LUCK with the pumping!

Anne
DH Richard
Parker 7/6/03(severe pe)33wks
annes
Forum Moderator

Postby catherine » Fri Jun 11, 2004 08:34 am

Jen why do you ask? Are you having trouble getting Catalina into the swing of things?? If you are trying to get her well fed up at home you are probably better off trying to focus on technique and latch etc than to devide your time between pumping and nursing. There's no doubt that it is easier for the baby to take milk from the bottle than from the breast unless they've gotten their nursing chops. Pumping is a huge drag and very depressing and trying to do both is probably pretty debilitating. Are your peds pressuring you for weight gain etc?

The reason that I ask is that we had some of these issues with Lucy at the very beginning. Frequent nursing is the best way to establish and maintain a milk supply. Babies just do way better than a pump. I was willing to trade off short term supplementation with hi-cal formula to speed her weight gain and spend the rest of the time offering the breast and practicing as much as possible. If you back off on nursing and go with expressed BM it's kind of a slippery slope KWIM?

Catherine
Mom to Finn, Lucy (preeclampsia and HELLP) and Chloe.
Moderator HELLP Syndrome Survivors
catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby hutced » Fri Jun 11, 2004 09:18 am

I was only able to EP for 8 weeks also. I wish I could have gone longer or got Evan to BF I even tried 2 weeks after giving up and he wanted no part of it. Good luck!!

Denise
Emily 3-6-02 41 1/2wks, 7lbs15oz
Evan 10-21-03 35wks, 5lbs6oz, PIH/PE (placental abruption)http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/h/hutced/
hutced

Postby paljane8 » Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:09 am

I pumped for 5 months as well as nursing. But, Janie was dropping percentile points. I had to move her into formula and a high caloric diet. She was weaned by 8m. Even with that she is 13m and only 16lbs.

Nancy Eastwood
Moderator/WA State Co-Coordinator

Calvin-8yrs
Saren-7yrs
Scott-5yrs (PE)
Janie-1yr (PIH, oligo and low blood flow)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/4/4lbs/
paljane8

Postby sherry fisher » Fri Jun 11, 2004 02:37 pm

Nancy, I cant believe that Janie is only 16lbs. SHEESH, Anna will be caught up to her in no time. That lil' piglett is about 12lbs now. lol

I was only able to EP for 3 weeks. I could not keep up my supply without supplementing too much formula. Which would have been fine to supplement, dont get me wrong. But, I was pullind double duty! I recommend focusing on latch on, etc,....before EP'ing. I was pumping every 2-3 hours for 20 min...then feeding her that, which took about 45 min. All this round the clock plus trying to chase after a 2 yr old got to be too much for us all! Breastfeeding is a challenge! All of you women who were able to do it are an inspiration to me!! Really!! I know I felt high as a kite when Anna was drinking only BM...That stuff was liquid gold! However, when we switched her to formula I felt awful! I still do occationally kick myself for not sticking with the vigerous schedule......

Sherry Fisher (28)
DH: Bill (35)
Proud Mama to:
#1) Alex 1/1/94-PE
#2) Abbie 12/17/97-PIH
#3 Will 08/03/02-PP PE
#4) Anna 04/06/04 - PE
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/b/babyfish3/
Baby Annna;
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/b/babyfish4/
sherry fisher

Postby rach » Sat Jun 12, 2004 00:08 am

I know of one woman that pumped 10 months for twins! And had gallons saved up in the freezer!
I tried pumping but never got a drop, but I was fortunate enough to be able to begin breastfeeding before leaving the hospital.
It is easy, but I think if you have a sick baby it's harder. My sister pumped for my nephew but stopped at 6 weeks.
It can be done, but the circumstances just have to be right for it.

Mom to Eva born @ 35 weeks

http://frontiernet.net/~arioch82/eva
rach

Postby pugmommy7 » Mon Jun 14, 2004 08:22 am

My little 4.12 pounder is gaining very slowly.
I was breastfeeding exclusively, but she was not emptying my breast completely on her own.(b/c she was so small)
Then my Ped. recc'd that I feed then pump and bottle feed breast milk. that went really well, fuller diapers, but still only maintaining her 4.6 pound weight(she lost 6 ounces at the beginning and is lingering).

Then, I went to breastfeeding 10 minutes at each side, then bottle feeding expressed milk, to help her become more efficient.
this is going great. it reduces feeding time, and gets things moving right along.
(sometimes if I am not one feed ahead of myself, she gets formula)
On Friday she gained 1/2 an ounce, and today, Mon., she gained only 1/4 ounce.

I feel like any progress is good, but I am getting a bit frustrated. She is 16 days old now.

My first preemie was much faster a gainer, but was on iv's and gavage fed, so it was different.

any input??

love, J

Jennifer, 30
DH, Chris, 33
Mama & Daddy to:
Isabella Sofia,1/02/03 born @ 33.5 weeks at 3 lbs,6oz., 16". GD,
Pre-E,& borderline HELLP.

Catalina Amelia,5/29/04 born @ 36.2 weeks,4 lbs.,12oz.,16"
GD,PIH,& Pre-e
pugmommy7

Postby paljane8 » Mon Jun 14, 2004 01:10 pm

Hey Jennifer,

What does your doc think about fortifier? Janie was a slow grower too. And just to let you know she did not gain properly until she was on formula. It was a long and tedious road with poor results.

Nancy Eastwood
Moderator/WA State Co-Coordinator

Calvin-8yrs
Saren-7yrs
Scott-5yrs (PE)
Janie-1yr (PIH, oligo and low blood flow)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/4/4lbs/
paljane8

Next

Return to After your baby is born .....