how long could you pump exclusively?

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
Forum Moderator

Re : how long could you pump exclusively?

Postby catherine » Fri Jun 11, 2004 08:34 am

Jen why do you ask? Are you having trouble getting Catalina into the swing of things?? If you are trying to get her well fed up at home you are probably better off trying to focus on technique and latch etc than to devide your time between pumping and nursing. There's no doubt that it is easier for the baby to take milk from the bottle than from the breast unless they've gotten their nursing chops. Pumping is a huge drag and very depressing and trying to do both is probably pretty debilitating. Are your peds pressuring you for weight gain etc?

The reason that I ask is that we had some of these issues with Lucy at the very beginning. Frequent nursing is the best way to establish and maintain a milk supply. Babies just do way better than a pump. I was willing to trade off short term supplementation with hi-cal formula to speed her weight gain and spend the rest of the time offering the breast and practicing as much as possible. If you back off on nursing and go with expressed BM it's kind of a slippery slope KWIM?

Mom to Finn, Lucy (preeclampsia and HELLP) and Chloe.
Moderator HELLP Syndrome Survivors

Forum Moderator

Postby annes » Fri Jun 11, 2004 06:27 am

I was only able to pump for 8 wks, my supply by that time had really gotten bad. I could have done more, ie, lactaction consultant, but I was so exhausted and stressed, that my OB and the pediatrician gave me the green light to move from BM supplemented with formula to formula alone! I have to say that after the decision was made, and I got past the guilt and disappointment[:(] ( I had planned to nurse for at least 6mths) I was really relieved. Also, if you are thinking about this, the one big pro of formula is that it got my DH in on the act with feeding, and that is wonderful[;)]! GOOD LUCK with the pumping!

DH Richard
Parker 7/6/03(severe pe)33wks

Postby angelkat » Fri Jun 11, 2004 04:50 am

I pumped for 3 1.2 months with Katlyne. I'm sure I could have done more if needed.....

Moderator Grief and Loss
Mommy to
Drew(13)PE 37 wks
Ky (11)PE 34 wks
~i~ Katlyne(12/9/02-04/02/03)25 wks
Casey Looking at Aug
Katlyne's Tribute Site

how long could you pump exclusively?

Postby pugmommy7 » Fri Jun 11, 2004 04:49 am

i was wondering, could one pump indefinately?
once, i heard an l/c say that it will peter out after time, yet another told me the potential never goes away for some.

Jennifer, 30
DH, Chris, 33
Mama & Daddy to:
Isabella Sofia,1/02/03 born @ 33.5 weeks at 3 lbs,6oz., 16". GD,
Pre-E,& borderline HELLP.

Catalina Amelia,5/29/04 born @ 36.2 weeks,4 lbs.,12oz.,16"
GD,PIH,& Pre-e

Return to “After your baby is born .....”