Skipping night feedings

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
paljane8

Re : Skipping night feedings

Postby paljane8 » Wed Jul 14, 2004 03:18 pm

WOW!!!! Way to grow, Maija!!!! We just got back from CO. Therapy is time-consuming. Janie starts up again this week so we will see. She can crawl now but, she chooses that 1 armed row thing she is so efficient at. Speech starts this week too.

It is good to see you too!!!!!

Nancy Eastwood
Moderator/WA State Co-Coordinator

Calvin-8yrs
Saren-7yrs
Scott-5yrs (PE)
Janie-1yr (PIH, oligo and low blood flow)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/4/4lbs/

amandab

Postby amandab » Thu Jul 08, 2004 08:06 am

Hey Nancy! Good to see you! Maija is doing great! She's 7 weeks old and 8 lbs. and a few oz. already. So she's gained 3 lbs. from the day she left the hospital. We are thrilled! How's Janie doing with the therapy?

Amanda (28)
Hubby (29)
Maija Grace - 5/18/04 (36.5 wks), HELLP
~i~ Aidan Timothy - 4/14/03 (29 wks), pre-e and abruption

paljane8

Postby paljane8 » Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:28 am

Hey Amanda,

How is she growing?

Nancy Eastwood
Moderator/WA State Co-Coordinator

Calvin-8yrs
Saren-7yrs
Scott-5yrs (PE)
Janie-1yr (PIH, oligo and low blood flow)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/4/4lbs/

kim

Postby kim » Tue Jun 22, 2004 08:58 pm

Hi Amanda!
I can't believe that Maija is a month old already. Ainsley used to completely freak us out when she missed a feeding. She was a cluster-feeder. I can tell you that, even though she was a formula baby, she was never on a "schedule." I remember putting water on her feet to try to wake her up in the middle of the night.

As far as co-sleeping... Well, I was adamant about not starting that habit, but 18 months later, Miss Priss still sleeps between us. We also used the SnuggleNest, and it was great. We tried every method to get her out of our bed (co-sleeper, crying method, no-cry method), and nothing worked, so we just resigned to the fact that she likes to snuggle her parents. Not to mention, it is a fabulous form of birth control :-)... Anyway.. Good luck and don't be too hard on yourself. Looking back now, I wish I would have just let Ainsley sleep, instead of torturing her into a feeding.

Take care!

Kim
Texas Chapter Coordinator

Ainsley 11/26/02-36 Weeks Preeclampsia
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/ainsleyk/

deerhart

Postby deerhart » Sat Jun 19, 2004 06:33 pm

Amanda
Truely, babies who are fed on demand do put themselves into a schedule of feeding, it just may not be the 3 or 4 hour schedule some docs like to put newborns on. Usually by 6-8 months they are eating 3 meals a day with a few bottles in between and by a year even on demand babies can be eating at the same time their parents do.

The only thing that getsus is that both boys still snack continously through the day because they burn so many calaories.. some days I swear all they do is eat.

Erin

Moderator - Parents of Preemies
Missouri State Coordinator
Mommy to Alex (4)and Mason (1 1/2)
Law Student - 1 year done, 2 to go

amandab

Postby amandab » Fri Jun 18, 2004 06:36 pm

You have all helped so much! I am definitely going to make a bigger effort to successfully complete the night feeding when she wakes up for it. I'm so glad changing her diaper during the day gets her riled up for her feedings. I would be a ball of stress if I had to worry about her skipping feedings all the time. [:)]

Erin, you are so lucky to have found a flexible daycare that strives to meet your needs! All the parents rave about the one we have picked so hopefully it will work well for us in the long run.

Thanks again girls!! The advice really helped so much!

Amanda (28)
Hubby (29)

catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby catherine » Fri Jun 18, 2004 03:10 pm

Amanda, that sounds just fine to me... I think that babies nearly always fall into that kind of routine anyway if you provide any level of structure at all. One of the amazing things about daycare is that at a good nursery the babies all seem to nap as one. In fact, if you try and copy the daycare routine on the weekends it pays dividends big time!!!!!! The thing not to be afraid of is that if sometimes Maya seems to want more or less that it will break the routine too much. My old ped (and a bit of a weirdo) used to chant at me... "you can never overfeed a breastfed baby". Three kids later I take his point. The biological dynamic of it keeps everything appropriately proportional. Obviously when they start little, you do have to be watchful, but assumingly everything is going pretty smoothly, and it sure sounds like it is, then don't be afraid to adjust and be a bit free-form about it. I know the line never wake a sleeping baby.... the next bit goes....... lie down beside him/her and nap until they wake!!!!! Don't feel guilty if you get a bit of extra sleep, there'll just be more milk in there for next time.

Catherine
Mom to Finn, Lucy (preeclampsia and HELLP) and Chloe.
Moderator HELLP Syndrome Survivors

deerhart

Postby deerhart » Fri Jun 18, 2004 02:52 pm

ohh well then if your not demand feeding thats different, you would need to wake and feed her then.

We did demand feeding and the daycare did whatever we told them too so we didn't have to worry about that.

Erin

Moderator - Parents of Preemies
Missouri State Coordinator
Mommy to Alex (4)and Mason (1 1/2)
Law Student - 1 year done, 2 to go

arj

Postby arj » Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:23 am

Amanda,
It sounds like you are doing great! You are right-there are so many different opinions on "what you should do." My mom's motto (she didn't breastfeed) was "never wake a sleeping baby." On the other hand, a friend of mine who is a lactation consultant said that she would never let her babies sleep through the night for fear that her supply would drop off. So who is right??
I think that as long as Maija is gaining weight and seems content then you should just stick with what works. For the first 2 months I weighed Evan every week to make sure he was gaining. It was totally reassuring to see the scale continue to creep up. Feeding on demand just wasn't my bag-not that I would deny him the breast to conform to a schedule, but if he wasn't fussy, then every 3 hours worked for me. I think that it's great that you are trying to get her on a schedule. It will make her transition to daycare easier since she will know what to expect each day. Good luck with everything and definitely enjoy that sleep because before you know it, she'll be doing something different and keeping you guessing yet again!

Allison (28)
DS-Evan, 7/19/2003. PE at 40 weeks

amandab

Postby amandab » Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:44 am

Thanks so much for the advice so far! This stuff is pretty confusing!! There are soooo many different expert opinions floating around these days.

We started the top off bottle b/c my supply drops off so much in the evening Maija could never get satisfied enough to fall asleep. After a whole week of happy daytime baby and very upset nighttime baby, the pediatrician recommended the top off bottle. It worked great the very first night. The lactation consultant also gave the go ahead for the top off bottle as long as I gave her the breast first. Maija makes it easy to know when it is time for the bottle... she will be feeding just fine, then she obviously gets very angry, pops off, latches back on, pops off, cries and cries. Give her the bottle, she's a happy camper. And we only give her the bottle if she seems to need it.

Really I am worried about her skipping the night feeding b/c I am not feeding on demand. I am feeding on an approximated three hour schedule. The hospital nursery, the pediatrician and the lactation consultant recommended this for numerous reasons. Which is actually fine for me since Maija has to start daycare full-time in four weeks, and the daycare insists that she be on a feeding, activity, sleeping schedule. I never have to force her to eat. If she sleeps longer than the 3 hours, I just change her diaper, and she's ready to eat. So really as far as she is concerned, she is feeding on demand. I am so thankful for that b/c I hope the transition to daycare will be easier for her.

Amanda (28)
Hubby (29)

Return to “After your baby is born .....”